C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP MajorGuard question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMPP MajorGuard question

Question - I have GMPP majorguard, $0'deductible option.

Righ rear tire won't hold pressure, dealer is saying THE WHEEL (RPO QX3 / chrome) is "defective" and won't hold the tire pressure. He also says GMPP doesn't cover this - my understanding was that MajorGuard covered all but the wear items (brake liners, tires). Can anyone offer any insight on this for me please?

Thanks!!
Mark

Last edited by G-BOAC; 09-30-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

No vehicle warranty covers tires. But the tire manufacturer should, depending on how old the tire is. If it turns out to be a wheel problem then the warranty should cover it.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

not absolutely sure but that which isn't covered is spelled out in the booklet. everything else is covered. take a look at it.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM
G-BOAC
Instructor

To be clear - this isn't a tire issue, it's a wheel issue. (the tire is just the symptom). The issue is the dealer says the wheel ISNT covered under GMPP majorguard. I don't see any specific exclusions, other than what seems to be the service managers opinion...

Any insight helps!! Thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
jimmyz2
Heel & Toe

Major Guard does NOT cover wheels. Sorry
Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if it is the wheel itself, I don't see it listed as excluded in major guard. I disagree, jimmy; tell me why I'm wrong.

it's not a service item.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is what is not covered:

WHAT THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER
Unless required in connection with the repair of a covered part, WE will not pay anything under this Agreement for engine tune-up, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubricants, engine coolant, drive belts, radiator hoses, heater and vacuum hoses, windshield wiper blades, air conditioning recharging, fluids, spark/glow plugs and wires, brake pads and linings, brake shoes and rotors, manual clutch disc, or any maintenance service or part required to be performed or replaced as recommended by the VEHICLE manufacturer's Maintenance Schedule.
Additionally, neither rust damage nor any of the following parts as defined by the VEHICLE manufacturer’s parts manual are covered under any circumstance: sheet metal, chassis frame, cross members, body rails, body panels or other body parts, bumpers, glass, carpet, weather-strips, lenses, sealed beams, light bulbs, tires, trim, convertible or vinyl tops, moldings, bright metal, upholstery, paint, exhaust system, catalytic converter, hinges, brake drums, shock absorbers, or batteries. In addition, the following are not covered: correction of air and water leaks, wind noise, odors, squeaks, or rattles.
This Agreement is not responsible for a FAILURE or CLAIM:
a) Caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, alterations, or modifications made to YOUR VEHICLE;
b) Caused by lack of maintenance required by the Maintenance Schedule for YOUR VEHICLE, as detailed in YOUR Owners Manual;
c) Caused by collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, lightning, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, or animal;
d) Caused by racing or other competition;
e) Caused by a condition that existed prior to purchase of this Agreement, or if the odometer has stopped or been changed;
f) Caused by pulling a trailer or another vehicle, unless YOUR VEHICLE is equipped for this as recommended by the VEHICLE manufacturer;
G MGX 0 GS MI (01-09)
g) Subject to any warranty, VEHICLE manufacturer recall or guarantee issued by the VEHICLE manufacturer or a repairer;
h) Occurring outside the fifty (50) United States of America, the District of Columbia, and Canada;
i) Relating to any part which is not original VEHICLE manufacturer equipment or a like replacement part, whether or not it meets VEHICLE manufacturer specifications. Examples may include, but are not limited to, garage door openers, cellular telephones, theft deterrent systems, and air conditioning components;
j) Relating to any communication, navigational, or entertainment devices that become unusable or unable to function as intended due to changes in content, technology, or wireless service;
k) Caused by contaminated fuel systems or other contaminated fluids.
Finally, no benefits are available hereunder:
l) If a material misrepresentation was made on the Contract Registration, or if YOU are no longer using YOUR VEHICLE in accordance with the eligibility requirements stated on the Contract Registration;
m) For economic loss, including loss of time, inconvenience, lodging & food (except as provided under the terms of the Trip Interruption coverage afforded by this Agreement), storage or other incidental or consequential loss or damage that may result from a FAILURE;
n) For diminution in VEHICLE value.

Therefore, it would appear that a porous road wheel is covered, since it is not listed as "not covered". Call GMPP at 1-888-881-4990 to confirm.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 PM
jimmyz2
Heel & Toe

Then why is the wheel NOW not holding air. The porous wheel does not make sense. A wheel cannot become porous. It is ot it is not at time of the veh. purchase.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:43 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyz2
Then why is the wheel NOW not holding air. The porous wheel does not make sense. A wheel cannot become porous. It is ot it is not at time of the veh. purchase.
As per the OP, the dealer stated the QX3 wheel is defective.

During the chrome plating process, if the wheel is not rinsed properly, the residual acid can etch through the aluminum over time, causing a leak. This more common on aftermarket chrome vs the OEM chrome wheels.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:25 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

To me, "defective" means the wheel was improperly manufactured. It should be covered under warranty.
But the OP's profile says he has an 06 vert... I'd expect a "defective" wheel would've started leaking long ago.

More likely, the wheel has been "damaged" during its 5 years of use. I bet that is what the dealer meant. And IMO road damage is not covered under warranty.

Hit any potholes lately?
Old 10-02-2010, 04:39 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Question - I have GMPP majorguard, $0'deductible option.

Righ rear tire won't hold pressure, dealer is saying THE WHEEL (RPO QX3 / chrome) is "defective" and won't hold the tire pressure. He also says GMPP doesn't cover this -

Originally Posted by calemasters
WHAT THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER
This Agreement is not responsible for a FAILURE or CLAIM:
a) Caused by misuse, abuse, negligence, alterations, or modifications made to YOUR VEHICLE;
b) Caused by lack of maintenance required by the Maintenance Schedule for YOUR VEHICLE, as detailed in YOUR Owners Manual;
k) Caused by contaminated fuel systems or other contaminated fluids.
That is WHY I believe a lot of these warranties are USELESS and only as good as the dealership that is willing to do the work.

Who and what defines "abuse"? Some can say a WOT run is "abuse".
"Misuse"? That can be defined as high RPM driving and subsequent trans/engine failure.

"Contaminated fuel" can be 87 octane, detonation, and subsequent engine failure and GM will blame it on "bad gas".

I had the dealership tell me that a differential seal leak on a brand new, 2k miles C5 was NOT covered under warranty because the car is driven in a high-desert environment. Therefore the seals are under extreme heat due to driving conditions and not covered under a factory defect.

That is why warranties are money makers. They wouldn't sell them if they LOST money. Add the "GM factor" to the equation, and you are screwed tenfold. That is why GMPP is pushed & peddled like crack cocaine. If it lost money, GM wouldn't be selling it, but it is a huge money maker for GM.

Last edited by LBear; 10-02-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Righ rear tire won't hold pressure, dealer is saying THE WHEEL (RPO QX3 / chrome) is "defective" and won't hold the tire pressure.
Is the wheel CAST or FORGED chrome?
Old 10-02-2010, 06:27 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 544 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
That is WHY I believe a lot of these warranties are USELESS and only as good as the dealership that is willing to do the work.

Who and what defines "abuse"? Some can say a WOT run is "abuse".
"Misuse"? That can be defined as high RPM driving and subsequent trans/engine failure.

"Contaminated fuel" can be 87 octane, detonation, and subsequent engine failure and GM will blame it on "bad gas".

I had the dealership tell me that a differential seal leak on a brand new, 2k miles C5 was NOT covered under warranty because the car is driven in a high-desert environment. Therefore the seals are under extreme heat due to driving conditions and not covered under a factory defect.

That is why warranties are money makers. They wouldn't sell them if they LOST money. Add the "GM factor" to the equation, and you are screwed tenfold. That is why GMPP is pushed & peddled like crack cocaine. If it lost money, GM wouldn't be selling it, but it is a huge money maker for GM.
i believe that GM does NOT own the insurance company that sells GMPP.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 AM
hotspur
Instructor

Extended warranties are nothing more than insurance. All insurance--home, life, automobile, etc.--are "money makers." You buy insurance to protect yourself from a big loss that you don't want to pay for yourself, like fire destroying your house.

We all collectively "lose" money on insurance, unless we have the rare house that burns down or a terrible automobile accident. You buy an extended warranty on your car on the presumption that you are spending a relatively small amount to protect yourself against the cost of a failure of a component that is very expensive. If paying for a new engine or transmission for your Corvette is a trivial matter to you, then don't buy an extended warranty, or if you're willing to bet that it's never going to happen to you.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hotspur
Extended warranties are nothing more than insurance. All insurance--home, life, automobile, etc.--are "money makers." You buy insurance to protect yourself from a big loss that you don't want to pay for yourself, like fire destroying your house.

We all collectively "lose" money on insurance, unless we have the rare house that burns down or a terrible automobile accident. You buy an extended warranty on your car on the presumption that you are spending a relatively small amount to protect yourself against the cost of a failure of a component that is very expensive. If paying for a new engine or transmission for your Corvette is a trivial matter to you, then don't buy an extended warranty, or if you're willing to bet that it's never going to happen to you.

I learned my lesson not getting an extended warranty on my 2007 Dodge Caliber. Car hit 37K and the computer died. I did not have the warranty and the computer was $3500 out of pocket, had I had the extended warranty it would have been $100 out of pocket for the deductible.

Any vehicle we buy now we pay for the extended warranty. Cars today are nothing compared to the cars we could once fix ourselves years ago. I do all the work on my wife's '66 Mustang, however I won't do a lot of the new vehicles.

It's piece of mind for me.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:58 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, it is a form of insurance. Yes, the wheel started leaking now and not 3 years ago which could be (stress: could) a sign of abuse. Yes, it is not specifically excluded in the GMPP. Yes, it is open to opinion on the issue of "abuse." And yes, wheels can be porous---usually not steel wheels , but other metals can be, and even at times later in their life.

So? The dealer service said it is "defective," not the car owner. Defective means the car owner did nothing extradordinary to provoke or induce it to become defective. The dealer also said it's not covered. If it's not excluded, it is covered.

As cale said, call the number.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Extended warranties are nothing more than insurance.

Extended warranties are NOT insurance.
They're not even warranties as defined by federal law. They are arrangements known as extended service contracts.

Extended warranty companies are not subject to the same close regulation and oversight as insurance companies. Therefore they can and will deny you with just a whim. They are NOT regulated like car and home insurance is.

You buy an extended warranty on your car on the presumption that you are spending a relatively small amount to protect yourself against the cost of a failure of a component that is very expensive. If paying for a new engine or transmission for your Corvette is a trivial matter to you, then don't buy an extended warranty, or if you're willing to bet that it's never going to happen to you.
Fear mongering. Let's deal with the FACTS and not fear/emotionalism.

A 50% cut for sales commissions is not unusual. That means on a $1,500 to $2,300 contract, $750 to $1,150 goes to the seller/broker. SURPRISE! That is why it is being peddled so aggressively.

Only 1/3 who bought an extended warranty actually used their plan to cover a serious problem. Even then, the costs of the repairs are usually less than what they paid for the warranty. Studies show that only about 4% of those cars had repair costs of more than $1,700 in a one-year period, and fewer than 1% had $3,700 in such costs.

Now, back to pushing the GMPP and those 50% commissions. Easy money, easy money...

Last edited by LBear; 10-02-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP MajorGuard question

Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 AM
hotspur
Instructor

Extended warranties are NOT insurance.
They're not even warranties as defined by federal law. They are arrangements known as extended service contracts.

Extended warranty companies are not subject to the same close regulation and oversight as insurance companies. Therefore they can and will deny you with just a whim. They are NOT regulated like car and home insurance is.

Fear mongering. Let's deal with the FACTS and not fear/emotionalism.

A 50% cut for sales commissions is not unusual. That means on a $1,500 to $2,300 contract, $750 to $1,150 goes to the seller/broker. SURPRISE! That is why it is being peddled so aggressively.

Only 1/3 who bought an extended warranty actually used their plan to cover a serious problem. Even then, the costs of the repairs are usually less than what they paid for the warranty. Studies show that only about 4% of those cars had repair costs of more than $1,700 in a one-year period, and fewer than 1% had $3,700 in such costs.

Now, back to pushing the GMPP and those 50% commissions. Easy money, easy money...

Interesting that everything you write in your intemperate rant is true except what you bolded. It IS insurance--to the buyer. Is it a good buy? Depends on your circumstances--and your experiences with your vehicle during the extended warranty period. For some, paying for a major repair is a drop in the bucket. For them, an extended warranty would offer little. For others, paying $250/year for four extended warranty years to avoid the risk of a $7000 major repair may be worth it.

People buy extended warranties to protect themselves from a possible painful and unexpected expense, not because they think it will be a good investment. Each individual doesn't look at a warranty in terms of whether across the entire population of buyers the selling company makes or loses money. Only a fool would do that. He or she looks at his or her individual circumstances and takes into consideration the impact of a major unexpected expense on those circumstances.

I'm sorry that you are so closed-minded--and absurdly emotional--on this subject that you are unable to comprehend that. Life insurance is a bad bet, too--unless you unexpectedly die young and leave your family with nothing. As is homeowners and auto insurance, where I've probably paid ten to a hundred times more in premiums than I've collected over the years. But I do it--as does nearly everyone--because the risk of catastrophe is more than I want to deal with out of my own pocket. For some, the same logic applies to an extended warranty.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

It IS insurance--to the buyer. Is it a good buy? Depends on your circumstances--and your experiences with your vehicle during the extended warranty period. For some, paying for a major repair is a drop in the bucket. For them, an extended warranty would offer little. For others, paying $250/year for four extended warranty years to avoid the risk of a $7000 major repair may be worth it.

People buy extended warranties to protect themselves from a possible painful and unexpected expense, not because they think it will be a good investment. Each individual doesn't look at a warranty in terms of whether across the entire population of buyers the selling company makes or loses money. Only a fool would do that. He or she looks at his or her individual circumstances and takes into consideration the impact of a major unexpected expense on those circumstances.

I'm sorry that you are so closed-minded--and absurdly emotional--on this subject that you are unable to comprehend that. Life insurance is a bad bet, too--unless you unexpectedly die young and leave your family with nothing. As is homeowners and auto insurance, where I've probably paid ten to a hundred times more in premiums than I've collected over the years. But I do it--as does nearly everyone--because the risk of catastrophe is more than I want to deal with out of my own pocket. For some, the same logic applies to an extended warranty.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

It IS insurance--to the buyer. Is it a good buy? Depends on your circumstances--and your experiences with your vehicle during the extended warranty period.

People buy extended warranties to protect themselves from a possible painful and unexpected expense, not because they think it will be a good investment.

I'm sorry that you are so closed-minded--and absurdly emotional--on this subject that you are unable to comprehend that.
When dealers/brokers are trained in how to "sell" extended warranties, they push; emotions & fear.

FACT:

Extended warranty sales contributed 14% to dealerships' bottom line, according to CNW Marketing Research.

That means on a $1,500 to $2,300 contract, $750 to $1,150 goes to the seller/broker. One broker sold 75 GMPP's in one month. At $750 commission per, that is $56,250 in commission profits. At $1,150 per, $86,250 in commission profits in 1 month.

That is why it is being peddled so aggressively. Being a good extended warranty salesmen can make you very wealthy, very quickly.

I posted the data and each person can make a choice whether or not they want to dish out the $$$ for an extended warranty. But the stats show that odds are greatly in favor for the house.

And the "big ticket" items like the engine and trans on a C6 are covered by the 5yr/100k mile warranty.

Last edited by LBear; 10-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: GMPP MajorGuard question