C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 DIC Display Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default A6 DIC Display Question

Ok, before I ask the questions...yes I did read the manual.

Here's the deal: While playing around with the paddle shifters on my 2011 GS with A6....at one point I had the gear selection display in the DIC (basically big 1,2,3,4,5,6 with a box around the current gear displayed in the DIC led display). I liked that display. It was more intuitive to me than the HUD because you can graphically see at a glance I've got two gears down and 3 up, etc. just by the location of the of the current gear highlight box. It was also easier to see than the HUD in the bright sunlight. I only actually saw this display one time.

The questions: Now when I put the A6 into sports mode, and start shifting with the paddles...the display doesn't come back (per the manual, that's all I should have to do). It's still displaying my average fuel economy (not exactly something I need to know in real-time every second I'm driving). Is there something else I'm missing that will get that display back?

Also, I'd actually would like the current gear to display all the time whether I'm shifting the car or not. Not like I'm ever going to learn to shift like the automatic, but it would be nice to know at a glance if I ever wanted to down shift quickly to pass someone or whatever (i.e. I'm in 5th right now, need 2 clicks down to get into third, etc.). Is there a way to have that be the display all the time (even in D)?

I'm fully prepared to hear "no you can't do that" as an answer, but I thought maybe some with a little more experience with the car might have some ideas for me.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I'd actually would like the current gear to display all the time whether I'm shifting the car or not.

"no you can't do that"

Sorry, couldn't help it.

This is an issue that has befuddled A6 drivers since '06. I don't know enough to answer you confidently....maybe you can find some solace in these threads:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ith-my-a6.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...comp-mode.html
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

GM will offer it on an new model?!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Thanks RicK T, I did get one tidbit from one of those threads....hitting the reset button to get it to clear the messages and display the gears. I'll try it on the way home from the office today.

Darn it, finally something that I wanted to display in the DIC all the time....and you can't! Not that some of the other display messages aren't nice at times, its just to me they aren't something I want to keep an eye on in real-time all the time.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Dave_C6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it oddly amusing that there's a DIC behind the wheel of every C6 Corvette.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

This is my observation with my 07 A6. With the HUD in track mode 1 or 2, the gear position is indicated on the HUD and in the DIC only once you enter paddle shift mode. (shifter in S and you've used the paddle once) The HUD indication will remain until you shift out of S. The DIC will show the indication unless you use the buttons to look at something else, i.e. fuel statistics, temperatures, tire pressure, etc. A major annoyance is that as soon as you change gear with the paddles, the gear indication will display on the DIC again.

There is nothing I've found to change this behavior, not even with a tune.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
This is my observation with my 07 A6. With the HUD in track mode 1 or 2, the gear position is indicated on the HUD and in the DIC only once you enter paddle shift mode. (shifter in S and you've used the paddle once) The HUD indication will remain until you shift out of S. The DIC will show the indication unless you use the buttons to look at something else, i.e. fuel statistics, temperatures, tire pressure, etc. A major annoyance is that as soon as you change gear with the paddles, the gear indication will display on the DIC again.

There is nothing I've found to change this behavior, not even with a tune.
I haven't noticed that, I'll have to check. I usually use Street Mode, I'm old and like to see the Turn Signal Indicators. G-Meter's cool though.

Nothing more embarrassing than to have the DIC beep at you to tell you that you left them on, again.

At least my seat belt isn't dangling out the door.

Thanks for the new-to-me info.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:05 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Hmmmm.....now I can't seem to get the gear display in the DIC at all anymore. It was great for the 5 seconds that I saw it a few days back. Almost wish I didn't see it so that now I wouldn't feel like I'm missing something!

Get notified of new replies

To A6 DIC Display Question

Quick Reply: A6 DIC Display Question