C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted hash marks on GS.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Painted hash marks on GS.

So my C6 Z51 is (still) in the shop undergoing a GS conversion. Mind you, it is my suggestion to everyone to avoid buying replica fenders at all costs. When they arrived and we fit them up to the car, they weren't perfect. They could have been modified to a better fit, but I like them best where they are now - in a box on its way back to the manufacturer. The OEM GS fenders are en route and scheduled to be delivered this week.

But, since I've had all this time to discuss things with my painter, we've come up with an idea. I want to add the GS hash marks, but instead of using vinyl I want to paint them on. My painter is ordering some GM vinyl hash marks to use as a template (and then we'll send them back ). The stripes will be underneath the clear coat and will be competition gray with a bit more metallic, like a darker cyber gray.

I was thinking I'd like to put the 'CORVETTE' C6 logo (the word, not the emblem) in one of the stripes. I could lay on a vinyl after the fenders have been painted atomic orange, the stripes could be painted over the vinyl and after taking the vinyl off, the CORVETTE logo would be atomic orange.

Tacky? Good idea? What do you think?
Old 10-04-2010, 01:21 AM
c4mako
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice to paint the stripes, clear ,etc. vs the vinyl. A buddy of mines ordered a VR 2SS Camaro with Black Rally Stripes (which are semi-flat with flakes in them). The dealer screwed them up attempting to put them on (some stripe kits are put on by the dealers.......) and offered to order new vinyl or paint them on - no cost. After talking it over with me - he had 'em painted on - and cleared over. They LOOK OUTSTANDING!!! He gets compliments on the stripes everywhere he goes.

PS: Ghost in (using metallics) 'CORVETTE' - Z51, JAKE or whatever else strikes your fancy...........NOTHING BEATS CUSTOM..........
Old 10-04-2010, 01:34 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4mako
Good choice to paint the stripes, clear ,etc. vs the vinyl. A buddy of mines ordered a VR 2SS Camaro with Black Rally Stripes (which are semi-flat with flakes in them). The dealer screwed them up attempting to put them on (some stripe kits are put on by the dealers.......) and offered to order new vinyl or paint them on - no cost. After talking it over with me - he had 'em painted on - and cleared over. They LOOK OUTSTANDING!!! He gets compliments on the stripes everywhere he goes.

PS: Ghost in (using metallics) 'CORVETTE' - Z51, JAKE or whatever else strikes your fancy...........NOTHING BEATS CUSTOM..........
Didn't want to do anything too custom because I wouldn't want someone not to buy the car years down the road because they don't like it. If it says CORVETTE, that's not personal.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:53 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Must be something wrong with this web site - I can't see the photos at all

Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Must be something wrong with this web site - I can't see the photos at all
Why would you expect photos? The car hasn't been painted yet. I wouldn't be asking peoples' opinions if it was already done.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I like the idea of painting the stripes on, but I would not put any logo or words in them. I think the Vette as is has enough badges, etc. so anything else would to me be overkill. Bottom line painting the stripes on great idea, anything else becomes a distraction.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Answer me this, why would you want/need the Corvette logo/words there.
I think your answer will help you to decide your question.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I think it is a great idea to paint the stripes will look awesome and add the C6 logo to the forward hash would be sweet
Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Much better idea to paint the stripes rather than vinyl....as for the extra stuff, no.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I like the idea of painting the stripes on, but I would not put any logo or words in them. I think the Vette as is has enough badges, etc. so anything else would to me be overkill. Bottom line painting the stripes on great idea, anything else becomes a distraction.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted hash marks on GS.

Quick Reply: Painted hash marks on GS.