C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 vs. Standard Suspension on 2011 GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Default F55 vs. Standard Suspension on 2011 GS

Does the "Tour" mode of the F55 ride the same as the standard GS Z51 suspension, where the "Sport Mode" is even stiffer?

If not, what is the difference between the "tour mode", "Sport Mode", and the standard Z51 suspension?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Tom
Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

and
Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Guys,

Sorry to insult anyone but, I searched the forum, and I could not find any definitive response to this question. In addition, the manal transmissons has new tires, which might affect the ride.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Does the "Tour" mode of the F55 ride the same as the standard GS Z51 suspension, where the "Sport Mode" is even stiffer?

If not, what is the difference between the "tour mode", "Sport Mode", and the standard Z51 suspension?

Thanks
Check this thread.
It's always subjective to personal opinion, but there's a lot of info that might help you
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...multi-pro.html
Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll share my rookie opinion on the F55 tour and sport mode (based on my first Corvette, a 2011 GS that I've had for 10 days). Tour mode is a nice firm but smooth ride. I wouldn't say Lexus, but very comfortable and still sporty. Sport mode is a fairly stiff ride which makes most bumps in the road fairly bone jarring. Flipping the switch doesn't create some earth shattering difference that you feel instantly, but you'll feel which mode you're in over the first set of railroad tracks or road reflectors.

Since I'm not planning on ever tracking the car (this is a DD for work commute), I don't know that I'll ever actually realize the value in the sport mode. I flip the switch there every now and then, and then end up switching it back to comfort after a few minutes of the bone jarring.

But then again, since it was my first sports car, and my first Vette, I wanted all the "features" to play with! BTW...F55 is not different from Z51 on a GS...they're both on there together (what that actually means of standard Z51 to F55 on Z51, I don't know).
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Ralph,

You will be getting some additional detail from Capevettes. He contacted me on your behalf. Sorry for my delay in responding.

To answer your specific question in this thread, no. The Grand Sport with F55 is not as stiff in either mode as the basic Grand Sport suspension. All of the components together work to form the basic ride and handling package on each of the individual models. While the base Grand Sport suspension package is a replacement for RPO Z51, it is still a different animal. The tires, the shocks and springs all work in conjunction with each other to form the basic suspension component. The ride of the Grand Sport with or without the F55 is a little more compliant (ride firmness) than the Z51 was. It is a newly engineered suspension package with different spring rates and firmness as compared to the Z51. The shocks on the F55 MSRC system are just not as firm as the shocks that are on the Grand Sport or the other shocks that were on the older Z51.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by talon90
Ralph,

You will be getting some additional detail from Capevettes. He contacted me on your behalf. Sorry for my delay in responding.

To answer your specific question in this thread, no. The Grand Sport with F55 is not as stiff in either mode as the basic Grand Sport suspension. All of the components together work to form the basic ride and handling package on each of the individual models. While the base Grand Sport suspension package is a replacement for RPO Z51, it is still a different animal. The tires, the shocks and springs all work in conjunction with each other to form the basic suspension component. The ride of the Grand Sport with or without the F55 is a little more compliant (ride firmness) than the Z51 was. It is a newly engineered suspension package with different spring rates and firmness as compared to the Z51. The shocks on the F55 MSRC system are just not as firm as the shocks that are on the Grand Sport or the other shocks that were on the older Z51.
AND....it looks better without that BADGE
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Someday, perhaps we'll see a list of the spring rates & swaybar sizes for the GS, normal and F55.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,552 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by talon90
Ralph,

It almost sounds like you know what you are talking about Thanks Paul.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

wow, that is some helluva good write up, Paul! Thanks a bunch. I'm going to save that one in my "definitions" category. I never knew the differences between GS suspension compared to the optional F55 and then compared to the older Z51.

I don't know if this is correct, but I would think also that the overall weight of the car (and possibly even the aero of the cars), altho minimally different from the old Z51s may also factor in when the total systems were newly designed for the GS and GS-F55.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 vs. Standard Suspension on 2011 GS

Quick Reply: F55 vs. Standard Suspension on 2011 GS