C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously, ANYONE buying a 2011 base Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I don't understand why GM doesn't give the regular (base) Vette a model name, or at least a simple designation like SS. Poor marketing in my opinion to leave a product devoid of identification.

The Z06 was promoted so well that even the average Joe knows the model by name. However, when Joe asks "Is that a Z06?", what does a base owner reply? "No, it's a base."?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 AM
raycer
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I don't understand why GM doesn't give the regular (base) Vette a model name, or at least a simple designation like SS. Poor marketing in my opinion to leave a product devoid of identification.

The Z06 was promoted so well that even the average Joe knows the model by name. However, when Joe asks "Is that a Z06?", what does a base owner reply? "No, it's a base."?
What? It's a Corvette.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Why would it require a designation? It is the Coupe or convertible model, ever heard of a Mustang, a Challenger, a Camaro and the list goes on and on? They all have big brothers that have the designations.GT, Mach 1,RT, SRT8, SS, Z28 etc etc etc.

Last edited by Racer; 10-07-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: i agree with calmtgguy, his answer makes more sense so I changed mine
Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I may have missed it but I have yet to hear anyone say that they have or are buying a 2011 base Corvette. Anyone? If so, what options did you get and what is your review?
The word "BASE" refers to any Corvette before options are added. "Base" does not mean Coupe, here are the new models.

2011 Corvette Coupe
2011 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe
2011 Corvette Convertible
2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible
2011 Corvette Z06
2011 Corvette ZR1

Any of these models are refered to as "Base" before options are added, as in, BASE CORVETTE Z06, INCLUDES $950 DESTINATION CHARGE, MSRP $75,255.00. If you guys would just use the correct terminology you wouldn't need to add other descriptive words like "narrow body" to communicate. It's simply coupe, vert, GS coupe, GS vert, Z06, or ZR1.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbe...te_Description
Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 AM
chris12.8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get asked occasionally when i tell people i own a vette an 90% of the time the first thing they ask is it a z06 and i reply no base an i feel it makes it seem less then it is. of course its a vette but only a snooby duece bag would say its a corvette when asked what model.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 AM
raycer
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chris12.8
I get asked occasionally when i tell people i own a vette an 90% of the time the first thing they ask is it a z06 and i reply no base an i feel it makes it seem less then it is. of course its a vette but only a snooby duece bag would say its a corvette when asked what model.
Oh my God. I'm a "snooby deuce bag" . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

You should answer, "It's a 2009 Corvette Coupe".
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Racer44
Why would it require a designation? It is the base model, ever heard of a Mustang, a Challenger, a Camaro and the list goes on and on? They all have big brothers that have the designations.GT, Mach 1,RT, SRT8, SS, Z28 etc etc etc. It's a Corvette and if you have to explain anymore to people, yes, it's a base Corvette.
Back in the '50's when Corvettes were the new model of the Chevrolet lineup, all the rest also had a name. The "150" and "Biscayne" were names given to the bare-bones model. Even the "Sedan Delivery" had a designation.

Flash forward to 2010 and a guy with a loaded 4LT vert who just dropped $72K on a "base" Corvette and his neighbor snagged a no-option Grand Sport for $53K. Yeah, they're both Corvettes and most people can identify that, but the cheaper GS has additional recognition that translates to prestige, while the expensive "base" has nothing and the term "base" infers stripper.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Back in the '50's when Corvettes were the new model of the Chevrolet lineup, all the rest also had a name. The "150" and "Biscayne" were names given to the bare-bones model. Even the "Sedan Delivery" had a designation.

Flash forward to 2010 and a guy with a loaded 4LT vert who just dropped $72K on a "base" Corvette and his neighbor snagged a no-option Grand Sport for $53K. Yeah, they're both Corvettes and most people can identify that, but the cheaper GS has additional recognition that translates to prestige, while the expensive "base" has nothing and the term "base" infers stripper.
Look up and read. One would be a loaded, 4LT, 2010 Corvette Convertible, the other would be a BASE, 1LT, 2010 GS Coupe.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I fear this may get worse for Corvette in the next year or so. Reason.....

CTS-V Coupe is now out, Camaro Z28 is coming soon. The CTS-V accelerates faster then the coupe/GS and is more luxurious...priced at lower-mid 60's. Camaro Z28 will also accelerate faster (yet to be tested but with the same LSA 556hp motor as the CTS-V the numbers should be very close) and possibly cost less then a GS or even the coupe itself.

There is alot of competition these days coming from WITHIN GM let alone the rest of the world. C6 is now going on it's 6th year, priced higher, less room obviously, less hp then those other "non-sports cars."

The conditions are there for continued sales slump. I think short of the C7, the C6's days of selling 30k+ units per year are history.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 AM
JetBlueLS3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
You should answer, "It's a 2009 Corvette Coupe".
yeah you're right but then you'll get "but aren't they all coupes?" because they just have two doors?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 AM
C4USA11
Advanced

If its a corvette then who cares what options it has...the fact youve earned the right to own a 2011 Corvette would mean alot to me given the economy...but then again if you dont have a grand sport or a zo6 alot of people frown on your accomplishment because i guess they need to compensate for other things...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

Even though I have a late model Z06--I still love and admire the base coupe. My local dealer, Mr. Genthe, always has a "plain ol'" coupe which sits out front there waiting for folks to look at it. AND I LOOK AT IT OFTEN TOO. Lovely car.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by zare191
If I had limited resources and it was a choice between a base 2011 or some other type of car, I would take the base car in a heartbeat. Buying what you can 'really' afford (instead of what others think you should buy) seems pretty smart to me.
Only a manner of how much $$$ you can or afford to spend. It's why GM now offers so many option levels in corvette.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

While I do like the more aggressive look of the GS that 5500.00 price difference is what would keep me from buying one. 5500 buys a lot of mods. If the GS was a bit less expensive I could see the non GS possibly going away but at the 5500 I think the non GS will be around as long as the Corvette is around.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get asked the same question ( mostly because unless you're a car/vette person, nobody really knows the difference anyway....sorry ZO6 guys but it's true ). I simply reply, " no, it's not ".
Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
I know of a guy who loves the base because he mods the h@@l out of it. A Z06 better pay attention when he get finished with it.
If he mods the hellout of it why doesn't he set his sights on a ZR1. Seems a waste of time and money to mod the hell out of it and not be tha baddest on the street.

And GM better do something about the 436HP base vette motor with several other GM offerings that are faster STOCK for STOCK.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously, ANYONE buying a 2011 base Corvette?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Mike02Z:While I do like the more aggressive look of the GS that 5500.00 price difference is what would keep me from buying one. 5500 buys a lot of mods. If the GS was a bit less expensive I could see the non GS possibly going away but at the 5500 I think the non GS will be around as long as the Corvette is around.

This is absolutely true. The "Base car" bashers want them to go away, but, if GM really wanted them to, then the price difference would have been less. What really puzzles me is how GM has overlapped all these models (CTS-V, Camaro Z-28, Camaro SS, etc) and competes against itself. Isn't this exactly what killed Pontiac, Oldsmobile & Saturn?? Corvette should be one notch above all the others, not, an also ran.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 AM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by simplyphp
Please...

You think someone is going to come on this forum and say "hey guys check out my base Corvette with no features"? You guys ridicule the **** out of everyone, if you get a F55 you say "shoulda got a Z51", if you get the Z51, you say "Shoulda got a Z06".. if you get an automatic you guys say "durka durka not a sports car unless its manual", etc..

The last thing I would do, if I was someone that just bought a base C6, is come onto this forum and say "check out my base c6". Just because people aren't posting about it, doesn't mean plenty of people arent buying them.
This is probably closer to the truth I think.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Perhaps the guy with the loaded 4LT Vert should spend more time driving and enjoying his car and less time worrying about BS like "prestige".

Quick Reply: Seriously, ANYONE buying a 2011 base Corvette?