C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously, ANYONE buying a 2011 base Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:59 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
You corrected the gentleman who used mute for moot, allow me to correct your Capiche to the correct Italian word: capisce - pronounced ka-pee-shay
I didn't really correct him, I just used the correct spelling myself. As to capiche, I guess it's all a matter of what source you look at.
capiche
1940s slang, from It. capisci? "do you understand?" from capire "to understand," from L. capere "seize, grasp, take" (see capable). Also spelled as coppish, kabish, capeesh, etc.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 10-07-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Lebowski
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I fear this may get worse for Corvette in the next year or so. Reason.....

CTS-V Coupe is now out, Camaro Z28 is coming soon. The CTS-V accelerates faster then the coupe/GS and is more luxurious...priced at lower-mid 60's. Camaro Z28 will also accelerate faster (yet to be tested but with the same LSA 556hp motor as the CTS-V the numbers should be very close) and possibly cost less then a GS or even the coupe itself.

There is alot of competition these days coming from WITHIN GM let alone the rest of the world. C6 is now going on it's 6th year, priced higher, less room obviously, less hp then those other "non-sports cars."

The conditions are there for continued sales slump. I think short of the C7, the C6's days of selling 30k+ units per year are history.

There's a lot more to the driving experience of a sports car than acceleration, and if someone can't see the difference in driving experience between a small 2 seater targa top and a larger sedan or GT then they can go out and buy the CTS-V or Z28 and it won't detract from my enjoyment of the Corvette one bit.

"Sports car" is not defined by power or acceleration.

To answer the original question, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to buy a new Coupe today if I was in the market for a new Corvette (I'm not - my '06 Coupe is just fine thank you) and the Coupe was the model that best fit my budget.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell

What really puzzles me is how GM has overlapped all these models (CTS-V, Camaro Z-28, Camaro SS, etc) and competes against itself. Isn't this exactly what killed Pontiac, Oldsmobile & Saturn?? Corvette should be one notch above all the others, not, an also ran.
SO freakin' true!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my ’09 (7/09), I had the choice between the ’09 w/Z51 and ’10 GS…cost had nothing to do with my decision to buy the ’09.

I’m simply not a fan of the widebody corvette and I doubt I’m unique in that respect. I’m happy to have one of the last Z51 equipped “narrow-body” C6s and I would buy it again today if it were available.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I have a base 08 mn6 (mz6) z51 coupe.I had the wheels painted comp gray,some dsvettes stuff installed and I'm getting hud soon.Also have breathless intake.Works for me!!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I fear this may get worse for Corvette in the next year or so. Reason.....

CTS-V Coupe is now out, Camaro Z28 is coming soon. The CTS-V accelerates faster then the coupe/GS and is more luxurious...priced at lower-mid 60's. Camaro Z28 will also accelerate faster (yet to be tested but with the same LSA 556hp motor as the CTS-V the numbers should be very close) and possibly cost less then a GS or even the coupe itself.

There is alot of competition these days coming from WITHIN GM let alone the rest of the world. C6 is now going on it's 6th year, priced higher, less room obviously, less hp then those other "non-sports cars."

The conditions are there for continued sales slump. I think short of the C7, the C6's days of selling 30k+ units per year are history.
Sure, I think you are seeing the natural progression, the C6 is at the end of it's era, the C7 will be out in what, about 2 years or less? Still alot of speculation on that, who knows. Plus , not to beat a dead-horse but we are not exactly in normal economic times. Had the economy never tanked, it would be interesting to see the effect on the C6 production numbers.

In terms of the other cars you mention, Camaro , CTS-V , the LSA 556hp etc... one thing to keep in mind is that most of those cars weight north of 3600lbs, so while the extra power is nice and impressive, the weight off-sets alot of it. That is one great thing about the Vettes, they are really engineered with weight savings in mind. Yea the interiors are "cheap" and lots of plastic but that saves weight.

I do think GM has too much over-lapp in some of these models, there is just not enough to set them apart. In an effort to keep cost down, they have tried to copy-cat alot of things and just throw different badges on a car, and maybe different wheels, but then its basically the same car. They are bad at saturating the market within their own lines of cars.

Last edited by FrankTank; 10-07-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 866 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Cypher
When I bought my ’09 (7/09), I had the choice between the ’09 w/Z51 and ’10 GS…cost had nothing to do with my decision to buy the ’09.

I’m simply not a fan of the widebody corvette and I doubt I’m unique in that respect. I’m happy to have one of the last Z51 equipped “narrow-body” C6s and I would buy it again today if it were available.
Correct, you're not unique. I've never been fan of the porky "wide-body" look. Styling wise width has been a trend in the wrong direction IMHO. Base C6 started to take it the other way.

C2 w= 69.5"
C3 w = 69"
C4 w = 71"
C5 w = 73.6"
C6 w = 72.6"
C6 Z06/GS w= 75.9"
Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

capiche
1940s slang, from It. capisci? "do you understand?" from capire "to understand," from L. capere "seize, grasp, take" (see capable). Also spelled as coppish, kabish, capeesh, etc.
O capito!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Sure, I think you are seeing the natural progression, the C6 is at the end of it's era, the C7 will be out in what, about 2 years or less? Still alot of speculation on that, who knows. Plus , not to beat a dead-horse but we are not exactly in normal economic times. Had the economy never tanked, it would be interesting to see the effect on the C6 production numbers.

In terms of the other cars you mention, Camaro , CTS-V , the LSA 556hp etc... one thing to keep in mind is that most of those cars weight north of 3600lbs, so while the extra power is nice and impressive, the weight off-sets alot of it. That is one great thing about the Vettes, they are really engineered with weight savings in mind. Yea the interiors are "cheap" and lots of plastic but that saves weight.

I do think GM has too much over-lapp in some of these models, there is just not enough to set them apart. In an effort to keep cost down, they have tried to copy-cat alot of things and just throw different badges on a car, and maybe different wheels, but then its basically the same car. They are bad at saturating the market within their own lines of cars.
My 1999 Mercedes C230K 4 door has a lot nicer interior then a new Grand Sport, yet the Mercedes' curb weight is 61 pounds less then a new Grand Sport coupe. I guess some plastics/leathers weigh less then others, yet are better quality.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM
FloridaGrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99.9% of non-Vette people don't know what year looks like what, let alone the difference in models. As Vette people we tend to over-analyze things like fractions of a second in the 1/4 mile, track times etc. but most of us will never use the car to it's full abilities. I bought the GS because I liked the look and additional perf upgrades (brakes/wheels/suspension), and compared to my former C5 it hauls azz and rides great. If I was into tracking, for sure I'd have gone with the Z06. My point is there is a Vette for every taste, and they are all great American sports cars

Sorry OP, this is not really what you were asking but it frustrates me to see car people bash each other over fenders and badges.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I love my 08 Z51 coupe, and would never consider trading it for a new GS.
I've driven a GS - and, from the driver's seat, it's got nothing on my Z51.

Although, if I were buying a new Vette today, the GS offers a lot for the money, and I'd definitely buy one.
It just pisses me off that if you want ANY performance options for the Vette, you're forced to by the more expensive GS.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaGrandSport
Sorry OP, this is not really what you were asking but it frustrates me to see car people bash each other over fenders and badges.
I am convinced very few 2011 "base" Corvette will be sold this year.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The BASE worked for me. At $39,500 for a mid year 08 LS3, it was a no brainier. The guy driving the 4LT GS has nothing on me but a skinnier wallet by a substantial amount. Looks and drives the same from the inside.

I would buy a Base model in the other Vette configurations too. Personally I do not want all the JUNK. Had it in the M3 and it was all useless for me.

Base and I like skinny model owner and lover.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
You corrected the gentleman who used mute for moot, allow me to correct your Capiche to the correct Italian word: capisce - pronounced ka-pee-shay
Au contraire, mon ami - he really didn't correct the gentleman, he merely wrote the word correctly. Had he not done so, he also would have displayed an incorrect use of the word...........capisce?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,072 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chris12.8
I get asked occasionally when i tell people i own a vette an 90% of the time the first thing they ask is it a z06 and i reply no base an i feel it makes it seem less then it is. of course its a vette but only a snooby duece bag would say its a corvette when asked what model.
I tell them mine is a VERT
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by simplyphp
Please...

You think someone is going to come on this forum and say "hey guys check out my base Corvette with no features"? You guys ridicule the **** out of everyone, if you get a F55 you say "shoulda got a Z51", if you get the Z51, you say "Shoulda got a Z06".. if you get an automatic you guys say "durka durka not a sports car unless its manual", etc..

The last thing I would do, if I was someone that just bought a base C6, is come onto this forum and say "check out my base c6". Just because people aren't posting about it, doesn't mean plenty of people arent buying them.
I don't think it's BS per se, and I do think there are a few, brave souls who are willing to come on here and post they bought a new, C6 Base coupe or convertible. But not many.

Or, at least, not many who read up on the General Comments section and see the acerbic comments directed toward those who have a "lesser C6" which is only in the minds of the whomevers, since there's absolutely nothing "less" about the base C6. Except cost.

Originally Posted by 9c1ny
I have no problem saying that, not all of us want Cadillac luxuries in our sports car, lets face it down the road half of the options will look about as stupid as a factory CB radio or telephone
OK, I take what you say at face value. But let's be realistic: you've been on CF for over two years and haven't exactly been burning up the threads of CF when there's a criticism of the base C6, nor extolling the virtues of your base C6 with the number of posts you have. I'd like to see you post more about your experiences. It would contribute to the overall impression that Corvettes, base or fully-optioned, have a great deal to offer.

I looked very carefully at a "base, no-option" coupe on the floor and found it, at its price point, to be a realistic example of a somewhat affordable, America grand touring/sports car. At the prices today, I'm not sure I can say that.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 AM
DriverC6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One good response to "Is it a Z06?" question is "No, is yours?".

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously, ANYONE buying a 2011 base Corvette?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

We'll I guess I'd be the guy. I have a 07 MS Coupe. Although I like the looks of the GS, I'd order a 2011 Torch Red Vert, black top, 4lt Ebony, Nav & F55. Just not sure about the wheels yet.

If there was one in dealer stock with 3LT Red/Ebony, I'd settle for that.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
jwreed50
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority here. When I ordered my 2010 Vert, I ordered the "base" (3LT) version simply because I liked the way it looked better than the GS. The gills on the GS never appealed to me.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Well, there is a song about the base C6. Skinnie Minnie, sung by Bill Haley and His Comets.

Quick Reply: Seriously, ANYONE buying a 2011 base Corvette?