C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems in a C6

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM
gixxerrob
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems in a C6

So, I'm new here to this forum but not to forum's. I have mostly been on sport bike forums and mustang forums because I had a sport bike and i still own a mustang.

I purchased a 2008 Corvette in July which was one of those dream cars I have always wanted. Unfortunatly, my dream has turned into a nightmare.

Like I said, I bought my Corvette on July 3, 2010. I got a really good deal on it and bought it from a Chevrolet dealership. At the time of purchase, it wa and still is under base warranty however, I also purchased an extended warranty to 100K. Here is the nightmare part. It's been in the shop since August 7, 2010. I've owned the car 110 days and it's been in the shop for 75 days.

I put it into the shop because there was a slight 2nd gear grab on a speed shift from 1st to 2nd. When I went to go pick the car up after the dealer changed out 1st gear, 2nd gear and the synchronizer. The trans now pops out of 2nd gear when I let off the gas and bangs out of 2nd gear when I down shift.

I wanted to post this to those of you that have a C6. Do not put your car in the shop for transmission repair. Nobody has the tool to take the trans apart at least here in DFW area and GM has no transmissions in stock for replacement. I have been waiting for the last 20 days on a transmission that is coming out of Germany.

GM has really been no help either. I've been talking to Kevin from Customer assistance. He called me and left a message one time to follow up with me on my engine.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm open to any and all. I would really like to get my car back.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

So GM doesn't have a single transmission in their entire USA system? Sounds a bit strange to me... Wonder what they are using for tranny's in Bowling Green? Isn't the 08 using the T6060 which is production now?

Last edited by cthusker; 10-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Let me understand something else: a GM Tremec 6060 man trans that you are waiting for parts from Germany? This is not the old ZF trans from C4s; why are you waiting for parts from Germany? With all due respect, you have your car at the wrong dealer service. It could be there are no dealers that can take the trans apart and put it back together, but you are not without other resources in your area.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry about all the aggravations...that blows. Initially, what did the dealership/GM say about the relationship, if any, between you speed-shifting and the transmission problem? In the future, if you require any repairs or replacements under the extended warranty, you might want to contact John Page at 21st Century Muscle Cars in Addison. I believe they're an authorized GM repair facility for extended warranty repairs (at least I know they used to be). John is good people to deal with...they're the one and only authorized Lingenfelter installer outside of LPE in Indiana...they do Callaway installs, etc. I had a great experience with 21st CMC! Good luck on your tranny.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM
DaveV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default Why am i waiting

I had the same experiance with my differential, took it in they stripped it down waited for the parts to arrive, then waited and waited complained to the service mgr who promised to phone me with a report
that day he never did !! suprise, after pushing and prodding the service
adviser i finally got out of him they did,nt have the tools to torque the
differential they were trying to buy one on e/bay to save them money
because they had not replaced one before makes you wonder ???
car laid in service dept 3 weeks with windows open, all the dust and oily sh-- that floats around car handed to customer in that condition.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

The trans is made in Mexico, seems like a strange thing to be coming from Germany.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 PM
gixxerrob
Intermediate

You all are correct. The Transmission is made in Mexico. They (GM) not the dealer had my part confused with another part coming out of Germany. I can't tell you the nightmare I have had with GM customer service. The dealer is doing everything that GM will let them do.

Also, I asked why can't they just pull one off production. GM said and I qoute "Mr Austin, the 2008 Corvette's are no longer in production". That turned into a whole new bs session. I mean, they have called me twice and referenced a new engine instead of a transmission. They are just phone opperators looking at a computer screen looking for the next answer if you ask me. I'd like to rip his head threw the phone.

To answer the question about me speed shifting from 1st to 2nd. If they would have made a big deal about that I would have laughed in their face. I mean, its a Corvette. Why else do you buy a car that has 430 hp if your not going to drive the **** out of it.

Thanks for some of the suggestions and comments though. I'll keep this thread posted. I am supposed to get an update tomorrow from GM.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
DaveV
Advanced

tell them the vehicle is not off merchantable quality and back it what is the lemmon laws in Texas.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerrob
You all are correct. The Transmission is made in Mexico. They (GM) not the dealer had my part confused with another part coming out of Germany. I can't tell you the nightmare I have had with GM customer service. The dealer is doing everything that GM will let them do.

Also, I asked why can't they just pull one off production. GM said and I qoute "Mr Austin, the 2008 Corvette's are no longer in production". That turned into a whole new bs session. I mean, they have called me twice and referenced a new engine instead of a transmission. They are just phone opperators looking at a computer screen looking for the next answer if you ask me. I'd like to rip his head threw the phone.

To answer the question about me speed shifting from 1st to 2nd. If they would have made a big deal about that I would have laughed in their face. I mean, its a Corvette. Why else do you buy a car that has 430 hp if your not going to drive the **** out of it.
Thanks for some of the suggestions and comments though. I'll keep this thread posted. I am supposed to get an update tomorrow from GM.
Read your warranty. If I'm not mistaken it clearly talks about competition driving and the warranty not covering related items.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
gixxerrob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveV
tell them the vehicle is not off merchantable quality and back it what is the lemmon laws in Texas.
In Texas if it is used, it doesn't qualify for lemmon law. If I had purchased it new, it would qualify after being in the shop for longer than 30 days and only if the dealer/manufacture did not provide me with a vehicle to drive while it was in the shop. Also, I believe it has to be inside 2 years and 24,000 miles to qualify.

I really don't want them to buy my car back. I just want it fixed.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
gixxerrob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Read your warranty. If I'm not mistaken it clearly talks about competition driving and the warranty not covering related items.
I realize that. I have not taking this car any where near a track. Just kinda driving it fast when getting up on the high way and stuff like that.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

This is horrible PR for GM.. period!! That's simply unacceptable? Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 08 and 10 tranny? Do not believe there is any difference that I'm aware of... So GM NEEDS to find a tranny built in 08?

ALL BS... total BS... I would keep escalating this until you get it repaired.. Good luck with this mess.............
Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 AM
DaveV
Advanced

I agree its a mess, exchange g/box or diff are expensive i,m positive that GM do a cost cutting exercise its cheaper to pay for labour and parts than replace with new units ???
i wonder how many c5/6 cars have had problems with waiting etc. cheers
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

On my car engine is USA along with transmission. I do notice on some Corvettes stickers that their transmissions can be from Mexico. The rear end is a Getrag isn't this German?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

So, I'm new here to this forum but not to forum's. I have mostly been on sport bike forums and mustang forums because I had a sport bike and i still own a mustang.

I purchased a 2008 Corvette in July which was one of those dream cars I have always wanted. Unfortunatly, my dream has turned into a nightmare.

Like I said, I bought my Corvette on July 3, 2010. I got a really good deal on it and bought it from a Chevrolet dealership. At the time of purchase, it wa and still is under base warranty however, I also purchased an extended warranty to 100K. Here is the nightmare part. It's been in the shop since August 7, 2010. I've owned the car 110 days and it's been in the shop for 75 days.

I put it into the shop because there was a slight 2nd gear grab on a speed shift from 1st to 2nd. When I went to go pick the car up after the dealer changed out 1st gear, 2nd gear and the synchronizer. The trans now pops out of 2nd gear when I let off the gas and bangs out of 2nd gear when I down shift.

I wanted to post this to those of you that have a C6. Do not put your car in the shop for transmission repair. Nobody has the tool to take the trans apart at least here in DFW area and GM has no transmissions in stock for replacement. I have been waiting for the last 20 days on a transmission that is coming out of Germany.

GM has really been no help either. I've been talking to Kevin from Customer assistance. He called me and left a message one time to follow up with me on my engine.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm open to any and all. I would really like to get my car back.
Suggestion:
---------------
Request/Demand: a GM [regional] Engineer come out and access your vette through the dealership and customer care.
Site: Time for repair, loss of confidence etc...
Once you can get a GM Engineer out to look it over - repairs move quickly and problems are terminated with extreme prejudice.

This was my experience in resolving my vette issues.

Good Luck...

Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you are speed shifting in a C5 or C6 Corvette, the clutch peddle has to be almost to the floor before you can slam it into second gear. The clutch engauges just off of the floor and that is where it also disengauges so you need to practice that before you speedshift again.

In the day most clutch peddles engauged and disengauged closer to the other end of the peddle throw. The transmissions were easier to shift quickly because the clutch disengauged very quickly after your foot first pushed on the peddle. Now days we have to wait a little bit to let our clutch foot get to the floor and then slam it into second. Practice practice practice!

Kent
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Then why do I distinctly remember the brief at the NCM stating that "Launch control is for use in a competative environment...and will not void warranty if used like some other brands."?

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission problems in a C6

Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
This is horrible PR for GM.. period!! That's simply unacceptable? Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 08 and 10 tranny? Do not believe there is any difference that I'm aware of... So GM NEEDS to find a tranny built in 08?

ALL BS... total BS... I would keep escalating this until you get it repaired.. Good luck with this mess.............
Syncro's are re-designed. The '10 is out of production and the '11 is in production, which saw ANOTHER syncro re-design. Other than that, I am unaware--however, I think GM would WANT to replace his transmission with the latest-greatest syncro's, etc. so as to avoid him darkening their door with another problem, build confidence with him, and make this a more positive experience.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Why else do you buy a car that has 430 hp if your not going to drive the **** out of it.
Well, one good reason might be because you might break it as you did trying to speed shift.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM
gixxerrob
Intermediate

Originally Posted by matthewelle
Suggestion:
---------------
Request/Demand: a GM [regional] Engineer come out and access your vette through the dealership and customer care.
Site: Time for repair, loss of confidence etc...
Once you can get a GM Engineer out to look it over - repairs move quickly and problems are terminated with extreme prejudice.

This was my experience in resolving my vette issues.

Good Luck...

I made that request about 45 - 50 days ago. The Zone Manager aggreed to sending an engineer out. The Zone Manager went on vacation and forgot to send the engineer out. When she got back from vacation, we had blasted her phone so much that the engineer was at the dealership 2 days later. That engineer had to consalt with the trans engineer (they sent the wrong engineer) and about 10 days later they decided to replace the trans. The trans was ordered with an expected arrival date of Oct 15. When it didn't arrive, I went balistic and now we are waiting to find out why there is a parts hold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission problems in a C6