C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Convertible top adjustment info

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 02:16 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Convertible top adjustment info

my C6 has the automatic convertible top.

When I open it, the "cover" (body panel) hangs up on the top. I just pull the top forward 1/2 inch then everything works fine...cover has the clearance needed to open up completely, and the top automatically stows itself, and the cover closes up.

Seems to work fine in the other direction, cover opens, top comes out and into position, cover closes. All with minimal problems.

how do I adjust the top and/or cover so that there is no interference on stowing?

Otherwise, it works perfectly

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited by lamboguy; 10-30-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: fixed boo-boo
Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Nobody?

Ok, How about -- how do I get a factory manual? there has to be info in there on how to adjust body panels, tops, etc

Thanks!!

Fred
Old 10-31-2010, 01:18 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Helms makes the service manuals. They sell them in printed and DVD form. If I had a working PC, I'd try to look it up for you. http://www.helminc.com

You're saying that you are pulling the tonneau cover forward (toward front of car) a half inch makes me think that something is loose. Mine won't move at all forward.
The following users liked this post:
DangYankee64 (03-14-2020)
Old 10-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Dik
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Back Window VS. Tonue Cover

I think Lambo has to pull/lift the rear window panel toward the front of the car a little bit when stowing the top.

Lambo, when I first received my car my tonneau cover touched my top twice while stowing the top. Both times it was a (very) cold day, near freezing. I've never had a problem on warm days. I suspect there may be a adjustment problem with the mechanisms particularly on cold days?

This information maybe unrelated but my car was stored for a long time before I bought it and it may not have operated in a year or so. The cables could have been stiff?

Lambo, has your car been parked for an extended period?

Now I watch the tonneau cover often when the top is operated. Where I live it cycles as much as twice a day. The tonneau cover has not touched the top since the first two times. I have not made any changes.

I have to mention, the convertible Vette absolutely "rocks"! The automatic top does not give me any grief at all and I couldn't be happier.

But I'm interested to see where this thread goes...

Dick

Last edited by Dik; 10-31-2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling :(
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Helms makes the service manuals. They sell them in printed and DVD form. If I had a working PC, I'd try to look it up for you. http://www.helminc.com

You're saying that you are pulling the tonneau cover forward (toward front of car) a half inch makes me think that something is loose. Mine won't move at all forward.
My bad, I meant pulling the top (frame) forward 1/2" forward allows everything to work. If I don't the tonneau cover hangs up on the fabric and frame.

I'll check out that url, thanks

Fred
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Hey Dick, I'm in San Francisco and it's ALWAYS cold! lol!

Maybe that's it. And I agree, the auto top is just the coolest thing on the planet. I make people wait for me while I put the top down. They don't mind.

Maybe what I need to do is start opening it and then when it hangs up look at what cables are doing what, etc. If it's just the case of something simple like that I can eyeball it and fix, or grease, or whatever.

I'll take it out into the sun and try.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:00 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lamboguy
My bad, I meant pulling the top (frame) forward 1/2" forward allows everything to work. If I don't the tonneau cover hangs up on the fabric and frame.

I'll check out that url, thanks

Fred
At what point do you have to pull it forward? Are you lifting the front up 5-6 inches before you push the rocker lever to start the top-down sequence?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:11 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
At what point do you have to pull it forward? Are you lifting the front up 5-6 inches before you push the rocker lever to start the top-down sequence?
yes, I have the whole "opening number" down -- which is to turn motor on in park with parking brake on, undo the front latch and turn to release the top, let it up 5-6 inches, then push the "conv top" button (to the left of the steering wheel) to the "down" position and hold.

Everything works great, until the solid "tonneau" cover starts to open. When it get up to about 10" or whatever, the tip of it (ie: part opposite the hinge and rear of car) hangs up on the frame of the conv top.

What I do is to pull the conv top frame back about 1" at this point, which releases the tonneau cover from the conv frame -- from then on everything works perfectly. I keep the button pushed down and everything moves via servo motors into place, until the top is completely stowed and the tonneau cover locks down into place.

ready to rock and roll at that point.

And top going back up has no problem -- only going down, and only because the folding top just hangs up on the tonneau cover by maybe 1/2 inch

Fred
Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 PM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

My top was hitting the tonneau an the way up and down. The dealer adjusted it, now it's OK. I believe there is a service bulletin on this, but I'm not positive.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:37 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryC5
My top was hitting the tonneau an the way up and down. The dealer adjusted it, now it's OK. I believe there is a service bulletin on this, but I'm not positive.
ah ha! I have a great dealer 2 blocks away -- I'll stop by tomorrow

thanks!

Fred
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lamboguy
Nobody?

Ok, How about -- how do I get a factory manual? there has to be info in there on how to adjust body panels, tops, etc

Thanks!!

Fred
take it to the dealer. my 2009 is going in cause it ripped as did my 2006. dont adjust anything yourself, there have been recalls or TSB's on this since 2005
Old 11-01-2010, 12:28 AM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by cylon
take it to the dealer. my 2009 is going in cause it ripped as did my 2006. dont adjust anything yourself, there have been recalls or TSB's on this since 2005
You know, that's exactly what I'm going to do -- tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the warning!

Fred
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI for those who might be out of warranty. I had a similar problem and took mine in to the dealer for service. I was fortunate enough to have the service writer call the tech up to the service drive where the tech adjusted mine while I watched. Apparently, there are two main "adjusters" that effect the angle of the convertible top frame. These are located directly beneath the seat belt re-tractors. He popped the black trim panels off that cover the seat belt re-tractors (no tools required for that) on both driver and passenger sides. Once those were off, the adjusters were visible. He used a box-end wrench to loosen a lock nut and then used a flat head screwdriver to adjust each side forward the same amount. The catch is that if you go too far forward the frame catches on the windshield when you try to close the top. He spent a bit of time finding the sweet spot (adjusting each side by the same amount each time) and when he did, he locked the lock nuts back down. He also adjusted my tonneau cover on the arms that it is mounted to, tightening up the body seam between the tonneau cover and trunk lid. It seems to have taken care of the problem for now. The whole job took no more than 10 minutes.

He said that this is not uncommon. When the tops are new, the fabric is stiffer and as they age, the fabric gets more flexible. This causes some of us to need our tops adjusted so that everything is in synch.

Last edited by Illinois427; 11-01-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 AM
lamboguy
Racer

very nice -- thanks. I think I try dealer first, and if there is any hesitation, this sounds like something I could do myself.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Dik
Instructor

Default I luv yoose guys....

Once again that there forum comes to the rescue.

Illinois2008vert.

Dick
Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 AM
ltb128
3rd Gear

Default Top exerts too much pressure on tonneau cover!

I haven't seen this in the forum. My C6 convertible, in the top down configuration, is fine. The tonneau cover aligns well with the trunk lid and surrounding body panels. However, when I put the top up, and the top closes on the tonneau cover, the left part of the top, behind the driver's seat, exerts so much pressure on the tonneau cover, that the cover is forced down into misalignment with the deck lid and surrounding body parts as much as 1/4" in some places, and this misalignment with the deck lid is obvious. There MUST be some adjustment to the top that will reduce this pressure and allow the cover to align with the rest of the surrounding body parts, as it does in the top down configuration. The right side, behind the passenger, aligns perfectly in both configurations, and I don't have this problem. Any ideas? My local dealer didn't have a clue, suggesting that the problem was with the trunk lid, which obviously doesn't change during changes in configuration! AARRGGHH!!

Last edited by ltb128; 02-02-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:22 AM
jwf
Pro

I don't know what adjustment, but when I originally purchased my vert the day I picked it up at the dealer it did just what you are describing and they took it into the shop an in ten minutes it was back fixed. They said it was an adjustment.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Convertible top adjustment info

Old 02-02-2015, 10:37 AM
ltb128
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jwf
I don't know what adjustment, but when I originally purchased my vert the day I picked it up at the dealer it did just what you are describing and they took it into the shop an in ten minutes it was back fixed. They said it was an adjustment.
Thanks, jwf. I'll try a different dealership. I've looked for an adjustment I could do, but I don't want to mess up anything else. Otherwise the top fits good and never leaks! Thanks!
Old 02-02-2015, 07:35 PM
ltb128
3rd Gear

Default Conv. top Misalignment

Originally Posted by jwf
jwf, are you in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, by any chance?
ltb128
Old 02-02-2015, 10:12 PM
jwf
Pro

Ltb128, Sorry, no.. Raleigh.... But there just has to be a guy somewhere in the DFW area that understands vert tops.

Quick Reply: Need Convertible top adjustment info