C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for a narrow garage door?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Staple a nice microfiber cloth at the mirror level on both sides of the garage frame?

Fold mirrors in!
...or buy a new car/garage.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sandman
I just measured. It is exactly 94 inches. From brick to brick 98, but the moldings take up 2 inches on each side.

What am I asking? Techniques? Products they may sell to put on the sides so the car wont scratch as easily if it touches? I dont know? Anything at all?

94 inches. You could back Rosie O'Donald into that space with touching the door edges. I have a 09 Z06 and I park in under my 56, that is stored on the top of a 4-post lift. Every time I drive the Z06, I back it into the garage between the lift's post's that are spaced 92 inches apart. Been doing it for two years and no knocking the mirrors off.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by tomc8at
I' building a new house and garage. The Corvette always comes first... Even a caveman can do it LOL
I'll bet you could remove that center brick section and make 1 large garage door opening. My new garage has a 23 ft wide single door so I can park my vette and F150 without any problems.

Usually you could run a lam beam across the top of the new opening.. if not possible the a single steel lally column would support any carrying requirement. That would give you a substantial increase in width.

Ask a good contractor to estimate it. Garage doors aren't very expensive and the construction I don't think would cost all that much...

Not sure but I think OP is looking for some realistic options not $5000- $500,000 options. At least that is what I am getting from his post.
I like the drivers side mirror as close as possible, then you don't even have to worry about the other side. Might make it even harder to get in and out of the Vette tho......
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JoesC5
94 inches. You could back Rosie O'Donald into that space with touching the door edges. I have a 09 Z06 and I park in under my 56, that is stored on the top of a 4-post lift. Every time I drive the Z06, I back it into the garage between the lift's post's that are spaced 92 inches apart. Been doing it for two years and no knocking the mirrors off.
My wife has been driving under and backing out from under our lift for 4 years and she had never hit a mirror yet (touch wood). Sometimes I don't know how she got in or how she is going to get out , but I keep my mouth shut and somehow she gets it done.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:32 PM
AYello1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guide off the left mirror is the most immeadiate & cheapest solution. A mirror on the back wall might help some too. If I were in your shoes and I was going to live there for more than than a year or two and if I drove the car multiple times per week, I'd definitley be removing the post between the garage door, or replacing it with a thin steel beam.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

It is not going to be easy or inexpensive to move the brick pier. I would save that as my last alternative.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Width of 06 C6 coupe, mirror to mirror = 6' 9.5" with mirrors not folded.

That's 81.5" - you should have 6" on each side to play with.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm in the process of having a new house built. I was offered one large or two smaller doors for my two car garage. I have always had the same fear as the OP with my current house. It's always a slow PITA getting in and out of the single door. I fold the mirrors in every time. Now it's going to be simple. One door and I'm going to drive right into the center of the garage.

The other problem with the two single doors is trying to get in and out of the car with the door (car) half open. I gotta squeeze in & out.

Short of pulling the mirrors in, the MF idea is not bad. Not sure how long it will last(weather). Inside, Griot sells these 24" x 3'' long(for lack of a better word) bean bag which screws into the wall so when you open the door you don't hit the wall. Good Luck

Edit: I can see where the previous owner clipped the wall with the mirror going in or out. I can also see, each time he opened the door inside the garage, he hit the wall. I'm currently renting until the new one is finished.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 11-01-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by v8capt
Buy a new home with a four car garage. Believe it or not thats what I did.
Capt Bob
Take out the center post and install a 16' garage door. The builder may have put in two doors for asthetics but 1 16' door is way more functional.
The beam above the doors will have to be replaced but it can be done.
Or just be careful and live with it!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 PM
The Sandman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. A lot of good suggestions here. I have been backing in, so I dont have the problem with the door hitting the wall. Right now, the car is new and perfect and that just adds to the anxiety of the whole process. Hopefully, once I am used to the car, I will be zipping in and out of there like it was nothing.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
The Sandman
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimTN
Width of 06 C6 coupe, mirror to mirror = 6' 9.5" with mirrors not folded.

That's 81.5" - you should have 6" on each side to play with.
Not sure, but I think the 2010 GS may be wider. It doesn't seem like 6' each side. I could be wrong, as I dont know the actual dimensions, but it feels like 2 or 3 inches on either side when I am pulling in.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,970 Likes on 1,030 Posts

We have one double and one single door. The hard part for us is that garage is side enterance, so you have to make a 90 degree turn into it like a parking spot. The wife missed once (not with the Vette - which is now there since she is permanantly baned from the single door). Anyway, I put dock guard on the edges. Haven't ahd the bad luck to have tested it out yet, but it seems to protect the boats very well, so I suspect it's great. If you aren't familair with it, I'm talking about something like this:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...%3Bcidockguard.

Nai it to the frame, it shouldn't stick out more than the current stripping that is there.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

Originally Posted by AYELLO1
Guide off the left mirror is the most immeadiate & cheapest solution. A mirror on the back wall might help some too. If I were in your shoes and I was going to live there for more than than a year or two and if I drove the car multiple times per week, I'd definitley be removing the post between the garage door, or replacing it with a thin steel beam.
I would try a large size mirror on the back garage wall, much cheaper than construction.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Not sure, but I think the 2010 GS may be wider. It doesn't seem like 6' each side. I could be wrong, as I dont know the actual dimensions, but it feels like 2 or 3 inches on either side when I am pulling in.
The Grand Sport/ZR1/Z06 are wider across the fenders, but the dimension across the mirrors is the same for all C6's.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 PM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

You'll get used to it.

I just moved to a house with 2 - 8" doors, within a week I'm backing in with my eyes closed kidding

But seriously, stay tight on drivers side, back in, put a bump stop in place so when the rear tires touch it you know that's the spot to stop.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Be careful .....
Old 11-01-2010, 06:24 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Hopefully, once I am used to the car, I will be zipping in and out of there like it was nothing.
I'm sure, in time, you'll get it parked with ease.

Have you thought about using the other stall. You can pull in and not have to worry about the drivers door hitting the wall. I know your gonna need to do a lot of work moving things around, but it's just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for a narrow garage door?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I set up memory setting #2 with the mirrors viewing downward. When backing in I hit the memory button and line the driver rear tire up with the correct row of tiles on the floor and it is always parked perfect. It is also good for parking spots with a curb or parking block.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
I'll bet you could remove that center brick section and make 1 large garage door opening. My new garage has a 23 ft wide single door so I can park my vette and F150 without any problems.

Usually you could run a lam beam across the top of the new opening.. if not possible the a single steel lally column would support any carrying requirement. That would give you a substantial increase in width.

Ask a good contractor to estimate it. Garage doors aren't very expensive and the construction I don't think would cost all that much...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Wow, that is a narrow clearance, ... From the look's of your garage pick, you might be able to change the side molding's to a different type to maybe gain an extra inch.
I thought the same thing...

Originally Posted by cthusker

But I'd much rather go with Craig's suggestion above. Much rather!!

As to practice, those who say it really are correct. The one bad factor: there are so many different lighting conditions that change your depth perception and perspective. You go from a long, really bright sunlit drive, and then suddenly you're driving into your darker garage....just imagine.

I realize it's bucks, but I'd investigate at least ct's suggestion. Why do they build it that way? Well, if it's a new/newer house, it's cheaper to do it with smaller doors and that does seem to be be a relatively small (sq. ft.) garage. I oughta know; I have one but with one, larger door - thank goodness!

Quick Reply: Tips for a narrow garage door?