C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is there a good place to hide a spare car key?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_C6
The way your dad looked at it, this key was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright, so he hid it, in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ***. Five long years, he wore this key up his ***. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the key. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my *** for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the key to you.

Classic

Old 11-13-2010, 05:17 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

If I told you then all the theives would know where to look, sorry find your own place. Like in your pocket...
Old 11-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
Call Onstar to unlock the doors.

Let the flaming begin
In all seriousness... I have to agree. IMHO - I would not hide a spare key on the car.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 AM
Victor Hart
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good never hire the spare key in the car, if you have two spares then you can hide it otherwise not. I got two keys from va locksmith and one i placed at home and other in the car.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:20 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Since I have my wallet on my person 99% of the time, that's where I keep my spare key.

BTW.....before I cut a key for my wallet, I had to ask Onstar to open up my car twice, both times I left my keys in my golf bag, in which I closed in the hatch...I was wondering what that horn beep was trying to tell me

I no longer subscribe to Onstar, but I'm glad I did when I needed it.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:53 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Best place is in your wallet.

That is the correct answer, with out a doubt!!! Very
Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 4SUMERZ
Since I have my wallet on my person 99% of the time, that's where I keep my spare key.

BTW.....before I cut a key for my wallet, I had to ask Onstar to open up my car twice, both times I left my keys in my golf bag, in which I closed in the hatch...I was wondering what that horn beep was trying to tell me

I no longer subscribe to Onstar, but I'm glad I did when I needed it.
So will it eventually lock it then with the FOB still in the car? I have shut the door a couple times and the keys were in my drink holder, which is about all they can hold.

So having a key cut, will get you into the car, but then what? I see other say they keep a battery along with a FoB in there without a battery which makes sense,

What good is just a key without the FoB? Unless the car will lock with the FOB in the car and I just opened the door before it got a chance to lock it the couple times it has beeped at me?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
So will it eventually lock it then with the FOB still in the car? I have shut the door a couple times and the keys were in my drink holder, which is about all they can hold.

So having a key cut, will get you into the car, but then what? I see other say they keep a battery along with a FoB in there without a battery which makes sense,

What good is just a key without the FoB? Unless the car will lock with the FOB in the car and I just opened the door before it got a chance to lock it the couple times it has beeped at me?
If the horn beeps you, if you can open the door in less than approx 10 seconds, then the door will open. Any longer and the doors will lock!
A key will give you access to the lock mechanism above the rear license plate. This will unlock the hatch. Once the hatch is open, then you can open the door using the pull handle to access the cabin. If you have lost your FOB, then you are out of luck, as the key will not help you. Even if your FOB battery is dead, once in the car, you can insert the FOB in the glove box slot, and you can start the car, even with a dead FOB battery.

When we go on road trips, my wife usuaklly carries the spare fob in her purse. The FOB is in a special read prevention bag that prevents it from talking to the car. I got that bag with the EZ pass.

There are many options available for locking vehicle, warning if the FOB is in the vehicle etc.
Lockout Protection
Your vehicle can be programmed to sound the horn three times and unlock the driver’s door when both doors are closed and there is a keyless access transmitter inside the vehicle. When the driver’s door is opened, the key in reminder chime will sound continuously. The vehicle will remain locked only when at least one transmitter has been removed from the vehicle and both doors are closed. See DIC Vehicle Personalization (section 3) in owner's manual to set your preferences.
The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:19 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Gotcha. That makes sense now. I didn't realize there was a 10 second delay for the lock out. Typically it is only a couple seconds after it tells me "Dummy you forgot your keys" before I open the door. I figured it would keep beeping at me and not lock. That is good to know, and definitely makes this whole thread make more sense

What is the purpose of having the FoB in her purse protected in the bag? I mean I know what the bag does, but why not just let it be opened without taking it out of the bag?
Thanks!

So in those case the FoB gets locked inside the car, I am guessing it won't recognize that FoB in the car to unlock it?

Guess I should read the manual a bit more than a quick scan ...
Old 05-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Oic0
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Another necrod post. Anyhow, I used to use aluminum tape to stick a key inside a frame rail. Can't do that on the Vette but you could put it inside the rear body near the backup lights. You'd have to lay out the ground to get to it, but oh well.

Quick Reply: Where is there a good place to hide a spare car key?