C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise when start running or change gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise when start running or change gear

Hello,

im getting "Loco" with car!

i have a manual 05 C6 with 46800 miles (75000 kms), When i put the 1st gear and leave the cluck pedal i hear a click noise from the differential and when i take the pedal off the acelator the click noise sound again. when i change the gear to R and go back do the same noise.

Today i raised it with the 4 wheels in the air and with the hands, i turn twirled the tires back and forth and the clickin noise came from the differential.

someone in this forum had/have the same problem?

Thanks

Last edited by Vette_5025; 11-13-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:29 AM
WhatEverLolaWants
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had exactly the same thing. Try tightening the end links that attach the sway bars. Mine was coming from the back and went away when I tightened the links. However, it is slowly starting to come back. I may need to buy new end links in the future.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Originally Posted by WhatEverLolaWants
I had exactly the same thing. Try tightening the end links that attach the sway bars. Mine was coming from the back and went away when I tightened the links. However, it is slowly starting to come back. I may need to buy new end links in the future.
Hello and Thanks for your answer.

Today i raised it with the 4 wheels in the air and with the hands, i turn twirled the tires back and forth and the clickin noise came from the differential. In you case is the same?

Thanks again

Last edited by Vette_5025; 11-13-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Help!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_5025
Help!
It's tough to diagnose noises over the internet.

I take it the clicking sound is new. That rules out a lot of normal stuff. And I take it we're not talking about the LSD chatter, which happens only when turning.

From your description, I suspect the outboard splines of your half-shafts may need lubrication, and the sound you heard with the car on the lift was unrelated - just normal LSD/gear lash noises.

See this post for more info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569476355-post14.html
Old 11-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Originally Posted by torquetube
It's tough to diagnose noises over the internet.

I take it the clicking sound is new. That rules out a lot of normal stuff. And I take it we're not talking about the LSD chatter, which happens only when turning.

From your description, I suspect the outboard splines of your half-shafts may need lubrication, and the sound you heard with the car on the lift was unrelated - just normal LSD/gear lash noises.

See this post for more info:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1569476355-post14.html
Hello,

Thanks for your help and tips.

i dont know if is new sound, because i usually drive with windows up so i didnt hear nothing and i had the roof problem and i heared a lot of wind noise inside the car.

I went below the car on the lift, and the guys from the garage turned the wheels constantly to both sides and the sound came from the midle of differential, a metalic noise click, a metalic click.

for example i start the car and put the 1st gear, take off the left foot from the clutch slowly without accelarate and the car start to run and the noise appears. then i accelarate the car and no click sound. if i deduce the speed without brake (only braking with the engine) i hear the click sound.

sorry the English :o, its understandble?

Thanks again
Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Any with this issue?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Hello,

Thanks for your help and tips.

i dont know if is new sound, because i usually drive with windows up so i didnt hear nothing and i had the roof problem and i heared a lot of wind noise inside the car.

I went below the car on the lift, and the guys from the garage turned the wheels constantly to both sides and the sound came from the midle of differential, a metalic noise click, a metalic click.

for example i start the car and put the 1st gear, take off the left foot from the clutch slowly without accelarate and the car start to run and the noise appears. then i accelarate the car and no click sound. if i deduce the speed without brake (only braking with the engine) i hear the click sound.

Thanks again
That sounds exactly like the axle splines. I'm still guessing that the noise that seems to be coming from the differential is a red herring.

What's very likely happening is that the interface between the half-shafts and the wheel hubs are dry and rusty.

There is a small amount of lash in the spines that connect the shaft to the hub, so when you accelerate, it creaks. It won't creak again until you reverse the torque - either by engine braking, or by stopping and backing up.

To fix this, you need to completely remove the half-shaft from the wheel hub and liberally apply lubricant 1) to the splines and 2) to the flat at the base of the splines that bears against the back of the hub. If you don't do both, the noise will come back.

Simply tightening the axle nuts is a non-fix.

The lubricant I used is Honda Moly 60, which is used on shaft-drive motorcycles. The creak hasn't been back for several years and tens of thousands of miles.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Vette_5025
Advanced

That sounds exactly like the axle splines. I'm still guessing that the noise that seems to be coming from the differential is a red herring.

What's very likely happening is that the interface between the half-shafts and the wheel hubs are dry and rusty.

There is a small amount of lash in the spines that connect the shaft to the hub, so when you accelerate, it creaks. It won't creak again until you reverse the torque - either by engine braking, or by stopping and backing up.

To fix this, you need to completely remove the half-shaft from the wheel hub and liberally apply lubricant 1) to the splines and 2) to the flat at the base of the splines that bears against the back of the hub. If you don't do both, the noise will come back.

Simply tightening the axle nuts is a non-fix.

The lubricant I used is Honda Moly 60, which is used on shaft-drive motorcycles. The creak hasn't been back for several years and tens of thousands of miles.
Hello!

Thanks again

Sorry but i couldnt understand your sentence "I'm still guessing that the noise that seems to be coming from the differential is a red herring."?

So you dont belive that is a differential problem, right?

Is dangerous for me and for me car drive with this issue?

Best Regards
Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

So you dont belive that is a differential problem, right?
I don't, but my diagnosis is based on a brief, written description of a noise.

I'd take the car someplace where they know what they're doing, and have them lube the axle/hub interface as I described. If the sound goes away, then you'll know that was the problem. If not, you'll know it wasn't. Either way, you'll be further along in solving your problem.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Vette_5025
Advanced

I don't, but my diagnosis is based on a brief, written description of a noise.

I'd take the car someplace where they know what they're doing, and have them lube the axle/hub interface as I described. If the sound goes away, then you'll know that was the problem. If not, you'll know it wasn't. Either way, you'll be further along in solving your problem.

Good luck.
Thanks again for your help.

In Portugal we dont have any corvette dealer or GM, only in Spain So i will go next friday check the problem. Another think is, last monday i changed a Bearling Hub from my left side on Corvette dealer, and i didnt have this "click" sound before, could be the guy from the garage that could do something wrong.

I will update this resolts next friday, ok?

Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:30 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Hello,

Thanks again
Your English is quite understandable. Be aware that having the car on a lift to listen for a particular noise or condition of some kind in the differential is not always a good indication. What you hear may be the other mechanisms trying to control slip or the other traction control entities.

I seem to recall that when having the car on lift, all Traction Contol/Active Handling should be off - if your running the engine. Turning the wheels by hand, I have no clue.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Your English is quite understandable. Be aware that having the car on a lift to listen for a particular noise or condition of some kind in the differential is not always a good indication. What you hear may be the other mechanisms trying to control slip or the other traction control entities.

I seem to recall that when having the car on lift, all Traction Contol/Active Handling should be off - if your running the engine. Turning the wheels by hand, I have no clue.
Hello,

The car was off when we shaked the wheels in neutral position... I very worry with this situation, I holpe that this willl not be a big problem
Old 11-14-2010, 01:25 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Hello,

The car was off when we shaked the wheels in neutral position... I very worry with this situation, I holpe that this willl not be a big problem
If you jack up the car, put it in neutral and rotate both driven wheels in the same direction by hand, back and forth, you're going to hear some clunks and rattles from inside the differential and transmission. This is completely normal and doesn't prove anything.

Also, when you do this, you're not applying torque of any significance to the driveline, so things that only go wrong under high loads (such as your problem) will go undetected anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the car to someone who knows what he's doing and take it from there.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Vette_5025
Advanced

If you jack up the car, put it in neutral and rotate both driven wheels in the same direction by hand, back and forth, you're going to hear some clunks and rattles from inside the differential and transmission. This is completely normal and doesn't prove anything.

Also, when you do this, you're not applying torque of any significance to the driveline, so things that only go wrong under high loads (such as your problem) will go undetected anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just get the car to someone who knows what he's doing and take it from there.
I will update with news!!

Dont you think that could be the diff oil? I saw some post about a Oil with some addictive.

Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

I will update with news!!

Dont you think that could be the diff oil? I saw some post about a Oil with some addictive.

Thanks again!
The diff oil with the additive is for a chattering LSD. You'll hear that noise when making tight turns, but not when going straight, and it's not a "click," it's more of a groan.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking noise when start running or change gear

Old 11-14-2010, 05:58 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I HAD THAT and recently changed my rear end fluid.Quiet as a mouse now.Forward or reverse.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Vette_5025
Advanced

Originally Posted by 08crm
I HAD THAT and recently changed my rear end fluid.Quiet as a mouse now.Forward or reverse.
Hello,

Did you had the click noise, like mine or the other when you turn?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

yes,when I Backed up or let off the clutch.Have your rear end fluid changed under the TSB for that and make sure they use the newer stuff where you don't have to add the stuff at the end.Search 'rear end fluid change" or something similar in faq's.Tons of info on it.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise when start running or change gear