C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter / Snow Use - C6??

Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I been around here a while. Who reads the owners manual?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 AM
thocar
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes helpful
Old 11-14-2010, 07:11 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vangulik
Why is a C6 not capable of handling snow and ice

What is different about the C6?

Is that a serious question?

Let's see:
Super low ground clearance
Wide tires
Lightweight car
Rear wheel drive
Having your front end tires lift & lose control due to snow uplift
430+ HP
Pushing snow/water into your engine via the air intake

Is that not enough reasons?

If you can't afford to own another winter beater/DD, then you can't afford to own a C6, or move to a climate where it doesn't snow.

If you are trying to convince us that a C6 makes for a good snow/ice driving vehicle. Save your time and energy.

Last edited by LBear; 11-14-2010 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Dub Mc (05-16-2017)
Old 11-14-2010, 07:21 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

This could be you...

Old 11-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear

Is that a serious question?

Let's see:
Super low ground clearance
Wide tires
Lightweight car
Rear wheel drive
Having your front end tires lift & lose control due to snow uplift
430+ HP
Pushing snow/water into your engine via the air intake

Is that not enough reasons?

If you can't afford to own another winter beater/DD, then you can't afford to own a C6, or move to a climate where it doesn't snow.

If you are trying to convince us that a C6 makes for a good snow/ice driving vehicle. Save your time and energy.

To your first question: Serious? - Come on.
First post and a gullible audience.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:53 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

to the OP, you decide

http://www.fquick.com/blog/Not_My_Idea_of_Fun/3591
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by kedar
if you want a vette that is driveable in the winter then i think the best choice would be a base coupe (not grand sport, not z06, not zr1) because the winter tires are not available in the wide-body size.

to all of the naysayers: thanks for keeping your cars in pristine never seen fog / rain / snow condition. i will consider buying such a cream-puff in the future. for now, i will enjoy my vette.
You are more than welcome,BTW If I ever do sell my clean well care for Z and you "consider" buying it ,you WILL pay a premium to brag how great it looks and drives for "its age" Good luck selling your beater Vette to the general public you'll need it
Old 11-14-2010, 12:11 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Tires are by far the biggest factor. If you can drive a Z28 in the snow with no problems then the C6 can be driven with no problems. The Z28 doesn't have all that much clearance either. The high power/torque of the C6 is of little concern. As lazy as the throttle programming is stock(meaning that you have to press the pedal down quite a bit to make the throttle open a lot) you can easily control the power. Snow tires are just that good.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Your second thread is going to be in the parts section looking for parts to repair your car after trying to cross the walls created by plows in intersections.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MARSC6
Your second thread is going to be in the parts section looking for parts to repair your car after trying to cross the walls created by plows in intersections.

Guys lose control on DRY PAVEMENT. What on earth happens in the snow and ice in these cars that are NOT DESIGNED to drive in such conditions???

I love it on how the 1% try to convince the 99% of C6 owners that driving in the snow and ice is a good idea

Sadly, we will find some YOUTUBE video of this guy crashed in the snow and ice.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Two posters so-far have attempted it and been successful. Their input on tires and wheels work is very much appreciated. None of the nay-sayers have tried or given a definitive reason, except for ground clearance, as to why it might not work. The ground clearance information is also appreciated and will be investigated.

If I buy a C6, it will be a new base model, kept for three or four years or so, and traded-in on whatever follows. I expect trade-in, as for almost every car I have owned in 50 years of driving, to be approximately 50% of original cost, even if driven in the winter.
Do whatever you want - but know that you WILL absolutely sandblast the leading edge of your fenders (especially) front. If that doesn't matter to you then great. You will have body damage - it's just whether that bothers you or not. REALLY easy to bend a rim also.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 144 Likes on 107 Posts

Let’s see super wide tires, low ground clearance Yep a good snow car!

Sand and salt do a heck of a job on a lot more than the road surface; I sure would want it not to be on any Vette I own. Sand and salt is very slippery itself if put on heavily.

Now you might be the best driver in the world in snow conditions, but let me tell you there are many/most out there that think winter driving is paying homage to the Kamikazes of WW2. If anything I drive is going to be crashed into by some jerk driving in the snow I rather it be my 4x4PU rather than a nice good weather car like a Vette.

Hey it’s your car drive it, the body shops need the money. Even if you’re not run into in a couple of seasons you will need a repaint. For a good job bring lots of good money.

Is your next question going to be where can I find tire chains?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:43 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I drove my '02 Z28 through 2 seasons of winters in Chicago, it had 40 series tires on it, all season BFG's a LS-1 and six speed 300rwhp. The traction control on it, (and I assume on the vette), was amazing. I never once got stuck. Traction control, ABS, stabilitrac, and common sense. It's a car, they do cold weather testing on them. I say go for it. Most of the time the roads are cleared anyways. Besides if it's that crappy out, most folks stay home anyways.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most guys won't drive their Vettes in the Rain, so take a lot of the negative advice with a grain of salt.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I am considering buying a C6 Corvette. It would be my only car. I live in Central Pennsylvania. I would drive it in snow, ice,and anything else that comes along. I live at the top of a long, steep twisting, often snow covered in winter hill.

I have done this successfully with a 95 Z-28 Camaro, a 05 Pontiac 6-liter GTO, and presently a Pontiac 09 6-liter G8GT, by fitting four snow and ice tires and dedicated wheels for winter use. I am having difficulty finding similar wheels and tires for the Corvette. Without them, a Corvette is not an option for me.

Doesn't anyone drive their Corvette in the snow? There is nothing like hanging out the rear end of a big-bore GM V-8 on snow curved road while steering by throttle. Information from anyone concerning use of a C6 in snow and ice would be appreciated.
Not very far from you (Central Maryland) and I drive my Vette in the wintertime.

That said, I don't drive it in snow. When the streets are nice and clear and generally free of road salt, I drive it. I also wash the undercarriage frequently in the winter. I drive my wife's truck if have to go out in really bad snow.

Make sure you buy a proper set of tires for cold weather driving (all-season or winter tires, Tire Rack. com has a nice selection).

Remember, its your car, do what YOU like
Old 11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Joynt
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 2007 Z51 Coupe and it has been my daily driver for 3 years. It goes in all weather here in Louisville and we get it all - snow, rain, etc. I have about 62k miles on it now. Before that I drove a 2001 Coupe to 100k miles. Again, all in the snow, rain, or whatever the conditions were. So, with 162k miles of all weather experience I'd say go for it.

It is true that if the snow is more than about 4-5 inches ground clearance does become a problem. I would not advise keeping the tires that come on the Z51 if you go that route. They were horrible in the snow. I switched to the Coupe/Convertible original equipment tires and it drove great in the snow. You have to move slow, be aware of your surroundings and sometimes start in second gear. I agree that GM engineered the Vette to be used in nearly any condition. And, it is just a car. I love it, but it's a car and snow/rain has never hurt mine.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Can you drive a C6 in the snow? Yes! Is it common? No. I personally wouldn't because of potholes. Snow likes to hide them. Corvette is lower to the ground with wider tires. I was born near PA. Last time I was there the roads looked like they were bombed. I currently live in Utah right now. A car with a 4 inch ground clearance doesn't see much snow duty here.

I've also been to Chicago many times and that area is pretty flat, no problems with gravity trying to hold you back. Roads are also more frequently traveled.

I also don't trust my life to a bunch of electronics. In the end it is your money, your decision. The "naysayers" are just giving you an opinion that you didn't want.

Get notified of new replies

To Winter / Snow Use - C6??

Old 11-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Joynt
I have a 2007 Z51 Coupe and it has been my daily driver for 3 years. It goes in all weather here in Louisville and we get it all - snow, rain, etc. I have about 62k miles on it now. Before that I drove a 2001 Coupe to 100k miles. Again, all in the snow, rain, or whatever the conditions were. So, with 162k miles of all weather experience I'd say go for it.

It is true that if the snow is more than about 4-5 inches ground clearance does become a problem. I would not advise keeping the tires that come on the Z51 if you go that route. They were horrible in the snow. I switched to the Coupe/Convertible original equipment tires and it drove great in the snow. You have to move slow, be aware of your surroundings and sometimes start in second gear. I agree that GM engineered the Vette to be used in nearly any condition. And, it is just a car. I love it, but it's a car and snow/rain has never hurt mine.
I avoid driving in the "big snow" here in MD, but I don't put my car away for the winter. There will be times that having an alternate means of travel will be advisable. That said, just make sure you have the proper tires and in most cases, you will be ok.

As to the remark about not being able to afford a Vette if you can't buy another car, well I say "keep your snide and superfluous remarks to yourself". My '09 is my only car and I manage just fine in MD.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
thocar
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

`Pushing snow/water into your engine via the air intake`

HÄÄÄÄ???

Never heared such a nonsense - nobody wants you to drive under water or with one meter super wet snow.

Normal snow up to 20 cm is a lot of fun. Every curve into transversely - Drift it.

Life is too short to drive everytime carefully.

Thomas
The following users liked this post:
cra3y (02-23-2020)
Old 11-14-2010, 04:28 PM
DarthStimpy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just my two cents:
the Pirelli SottoZeros are more of a cold weather tire. they are not great in the snow on the vette.

the Blizzaks are amazing. Dont list to these guys, with the proper tire you can easily drive on 1 - 2" of snow. Go narrower than stock in the rear (275 or less) if you can, that'll help with the pontoon issue of the wide tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter / Snow Use - C6??