C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"X" Pipe - What's the Purpose??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "X" Pipe - What's the Purpose??

I read somewhere that the 2009 and latter LS3s have an "X" pipe in their dual exhaust where earlier model C6s didn't. Is this true, and if so why the change? Just curious.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the earlier C6's had an H-pipe instead. Maybe better exchange with the X?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

X pipe was on ZR1 first. It did NOT appear on a 2010 except ZR1.....2011 it became standard on Z06 and ZR1. It is NOT on anything else to my knowledge. H pipe are on Z06's previous ''11....(2010 and before). My '10 Z06 is H pipe....flow is different and produces slightly different tones vs X pipe.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Would it be on NPP type exhaust systems only?
Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

A) The cross plane crank in the LS3 (all american V8s and most V8s from the rest of the world) have an uneven cylinder firinig order at the banks. This is what gives the burble at idle. A cross plane crank emits exhaust gasses into the header in a LRLLRLRR pattern. Thus, the left and right sides of the tail pipe see two small exhaust pulses and one large exhaust pulse at somewhat uneven timing intervals. {A racing V8 has an LRLRLRLR exhaust pattern.}

B) The H-pipe and X-pipe are there to allow the double LL or RR to use both sides of the exhaust and this smooths out the power curve. Everything after the X-pipe sees the same pulse pattern (i.e. smooth).

C) an H-pipe is merely an inefficient X-pipe.

D) The reason for the cross plane crank is freedom from vibrations. The detriment to the cross plane crank is uneven breathing intervals per bank on the intake and exhaust.

E) The reason for the flat plane crank is the ability to tap into even intake and exhaust breathing cycles per bank to utilize the resonances for higher power levels.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
A) The cross plane crank in the LS3 (all american V8s and most V8s from the rest of the world) have an uneven cylinder firinig order at the banks. This is what gives the burble at idle. A cross plane crank emits exhaust gasses into the header in a LRLLRLRR pattern. Thus, the left and right sides of the tail pipe see two small exhaust pulses and one large exhaust pulse at somewhat uneven timing intervals. {A racing V8 has an LRLRLRLR exhaust pattern.}

B) The H-pipe and X-pipe are there to allow the double LL or RR to use both sides of the exhaust and this smooths out the power curve. Everything after the X-pipe sees the same pulse pattern (i.e. smooth).

D) The reason for the cross plane crank is freedom from vibrations. The detriment to the cross plane crank is uneven breathing intervals per bank on the intake and exhaust.

E) The reason for the flat plane crank is the ability to tap into even intake and exhaust breathing cycles per bank to utilize the resonances for higher power levels.
Wow, thanks for the great explanation! You certainly know a thing or two about the physics of an exhaust system.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:06 PM
speedster516
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The X pipe started on the 08 Corvette. Suposed to create better balance of exhaust flow from side to side over H pipe. When I did my NPP on my 05 I also used the X pipe from the system. Could be in my head but car seems to run a little better than with the H pipe.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 PM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well while we are on the topic, I have boiled down my exhaust to either a Borla Stinger or Corsa Sport. I think I like the exhaust a little better from the Borla. Would it be better to go with an X pipe as well with whichever I finally choose? And in you guys experience,which performs better and which looks better? Is ease of installation better on one than the other. Prices seem to be about comparable . Any and all comments would be appreciated. Thanks to all on this forum. You guys have alredy solved some of my concerns and saved me money recommending certain vendors and sponsors.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:18 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

This, plus on cars that dont have a sequential fire on one bank their is a scavenging effect that can be taken advantage of as well as reducing backpressure, it is much less of a benefit then what V8s see.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Would it be on NPP type exhaust systems only?
Just an FYI, I have a 2010 coupe with NPP dual exhaust and it has the X-pipe.

Corrected.............I have the X-pipe

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 11-14-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

LRLLRLRR is a paradiddleeddie
Old 11-14-2010, 05:20 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
X pipe was on ZR1 first. It did NOT appear on a 2010 except ZR1.....2011 it became standard on Z06 and ZR1. It is NOT on anything else to my knowledge.
That is incorrect information. It started in 08 on the base model C6.

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Just an FYI, I have a 2010 coupe with NPP dual exhaust and it has the H pipe.
Are you sure about that? Staring in 08 the LS3's got an X-pipe. I would be quite shocked if yours actually had an H-pipe.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
That is incorrect information. It started in 08 on the base model C6.

Are you sure about that? Staring in 08 the LS3's got an X-pipe. I would be quite shocked if yours actually had an H-pipe.
I can say with absolute certainly my 2010 Z52 GS has the x-pipe arrangement on my NPP factory dual exhaust system as I witnessed it being installed on my Corvette during the Buyers Tour...............

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I just looked at my exhaust again and I may have been mistaken.

It's hard to see but I think there may be an X-pipe there. I will get a better look the next time I get it up in the air.

OK, here is a photo. Is this the X-pipe?

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 11-14-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

If you are thinking of headers and get a hood pair that addresses this upstream, no x needed on the exhaust...right?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I just looked at my exhaust again and I may have been mistaken.

It's hard to see but I think there may be an X-pipe there. I will get a better look the next time I get it up in the air.

OK, here is a photo. Is this the X-pipe?

yep, you have a X pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To "X" Pipe - What's the Purpose??

Quick Reply: "X" Pipe - What's the Purpose??