C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever thought of installing an ipad in your c6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by keyplyr
iLive without iStuff and iCouldn't be iHappier.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
victory2k8z
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
thats because your a bunch of ioldfarts

i find this a great idea; shame the center stack isnt wide enough for this...maybe Samsung galaxy android pad...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Could you replace the passenger-side visor and have it flip down?

It would be cool to have such a large, easy to read display in the car. You could get the info you need with a quick glance instead of completely altering your focus.

Tough fit in such a small interior like the C6. Good Luck.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I'm loving this. Can't stand owning my Corvette for what it was intended.

A friggin' sports car. How boring. The performance, and shear driving pleasure is getting old. I need high tech stuff that has nothing to do with the Corvette experience. I need it wired!!!!

Next, I want real 3D on the nav screen, which should be capable of playing Avatar while I'm careening down the highway at 75 MPH!!

Can't wait!

Old 02-13-2011, 05:56 AM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Default No hijacking the thread, please.

Hey guys...no one likes it when their thread gets hijacked for whatever reason...safety, personal tastes, pithy snide remarks, etc.
Engine mods, body mods, and interior electronics mods: all have those with opinions against them, but that gives no one the license to hijack a thread and sling mud at the poster and his/her question or ideas.
I expect it from noobs, but not experienced forum members, who know the rules!

Play nice!
Doc

Now back to the iPad thread...

Originally Posted by WMark

A friggin' sports car. How boring. The performance, and shear driving pleasure is getting old. I need high tech stuff that has nothing to do with the Corvette experience. I need it wired!!!!

Next, I want real 3D on the nav screen, which should be capable of playing Avatar while I'm careening down the highway at 75 MPH!!

Can't wait!

Last edited by docrings1; 02-13-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Atomic-Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wanting to do this for a while. it has a thousand times more features and possibilities than even the most advanced head unit, and is a fourth as much. Car stereo companies need to take note, their market is ripe to be taken over, just like cell phones were.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:06 AM
RtotheDizzy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think in theory it would be a spectacular idea. If you could have an ipad as your center dash screen. It could control everything that needs controls (nav, radio, climate control, etc.). If it could be integrated with the HUD and accept voice commands it would be pretty cool.

All of that is probably not easily attainable though unless you have an EE degree and some money to through around. Might still be cool just to have it there and play music through it using a PAL.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:51 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I currently have a Bluetooth transmitter for the obdII port and a harness that plugs into the xm module for an audio input. The Bluetooth transmits vehicle info to my android phone where I have an app to monitor and log. Then the harness acts as an audio input from my phone to the car stereo. It works great for the phones nav and the 14gb of mp3s I have stored on it. Was a bit weird the first time a call came in. Hearing their voice through the car speakers.

Now I just need to figure out some sort of mount to hold the phone while I'm in the car.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:57 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MARSC6
I currently have a Bluetooth transmitter for the obdII port and a harness that plugs into the xm module for an audio input. The Bluetooth transmits vehicle info to my android phone where I have an app to monitor and log. Then the harness acts as an audio input from my phone to the car stereo. It works great for the phones nav and the 14gb of mp3s I have stored on it. Was a bit weird the first time a call came in. Hearing their voice through the car speakers.

Now I just need to figure out some sort of mount to hold the phone while I'm in the car.
Yup, me too. Love Android and would never go back to an iPhone.

This is my Nexus One mounted next to the factory nav screen. You can see Google Nav
displayed on the phone's screen. The voice directions come through the Bose speakers,
as do the calls if I choose, otherwise I use my Jawbone headset.

Got the mount & holder at Pro Clip USA. Not cheap, but very sturdy and a perfect fit

Last edited by keyplyr; 04-12-2011 at 04:59 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 04-12-2011, 09:19 AM
21inchguns
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait!

when i am not drivin down the highway @ 75mph i'd like to do car shows.

i want to get to a point where my c6 can enter them and score points based off innovation.

hence the thread. now go back to you pop corn, make sure you wipe your hands before you drive.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont.

Even though its capable, it always.. always.. looks tacky. A touchscreen in-dash Nav, even docking an iPhone that integrates with your in-dash Nav would be awesome. But an iPad is just overkill.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Dad-Att
Cruising

Why not use the TV out from the Iphone to the Nav screen, mount the phone right below the shifter, and use it as a track pad like the bmw wheel?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait!

I think you might need it just to watch some ****. Maybe you would be more relaxed then and not so angry.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 AM
agent jones
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Dont.

Even though its capable, it always.. always.. looks tacky. A touchscreen in-dash Nav, even docking an iPhone that integrates with your in-dash Nav would be awesome. But an iPad is just overkill.
Wrong. This is far from tacky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB53-...e_gdata_player

Now that phone sitting next to the nav providing gps when the nav is made for that is tacky IMO

Last edited by agent jones; 04-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:49 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked into the ipad install for the C6. All I wanted was a giant GPS.

I got the ipad suction holder for the windshield. Then found out that the app that runs the sat GPS is pretty bad so I tabled the idea.

Its doable though. you get the Tom Tom sat feed gadget then the cable to the ipad. It s been done with fair results. When the app gets better I will do it.

You can run the 3G GPS on the ipad but its pretty week.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by agent jones
Now that phone sitting next to the nav providing gps when the nav is made for that is tacky IMO
Well you can look at that factory Nav with its outdated info, missing highway data and cartoonish graphics if you want.

Me, I'd rather use real-time, up-to-date, crystal clear high definition maps, street views, alternate routes, multi-tasking without stopping the car with the *free* Google Nav app on my 4.3" screen Android phone.

Don't even use the factory NAV any more. Why would I when I have this?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 PM
21inchguns
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed - factory nav is a damn joke.

ohhh wait - the purists might get pissed off.

think of the possibilities

i saw a wifi ip camera at microcenter(go to their site)its the trendnet internet camera server,tv-ip110,its only $49!cheap for a wireless wifi camera,then u just need to find power in your trunk to power it, then u can have a rearview camera conneced to your ipad wirelessly too!

Last edited by 21inchguns; 04-12-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ever thought of installing an ipad in your c6?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM
agent jones
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Well you can look at that factory Nav with its outdated info, missing highway data and cartoonish graphics if you want.

Me, I'd rather use real-time, up-to-date, crystal clear high definition maps, street views, alternate routes, multi-tasking without stopping the car with the *free* Google Nav app on my 4.3" screen Android phone.

Don't even use the factory NAV any more. Why would I when I have this?

Get the updated maps...or pull it out and get a Avic z120bt....

i have no problem with using the android as a GPS but i think the location is bad espceially next to a 7 inch Nav.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm onboard with this concept as well. I have an iPad on order and will share if I come up with something.

In the past (pre-iPad days), I used to put my 17" laptop (with wireless Internet card) on the center console in my RV and had a little software interface with an old Garmin GPS. The GPS basically fed our position coordinates to a little piece of software that drove Google Earth on the screen. I had it set so that we had a 17" full screen display of the aerial moving maps of 1/2 mile (or more) in all directions. It was great...when the kids needed a break from driving, just look at the moving map....easy to pick out a park on Google earth.....needed a restaurant?....wife would just type it into Google Earth search and we'd have push pins showing up on the map as we drove. The whole family would check it out often during the trips.

My hope is that I can do something similar with an iPad....not so much for finding a park, but the higher resolution of a map display can make it much easier to glean information at a glance instead of trying to decipher the lines without street names on the current Corvette GPS.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:41 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
When I'm driving, I prefer to give my attention to driving. I prefer that others do, too.
With you...

Quick Reply: Ever thought of installing an ipad in your c6?