C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM only oil ?

Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Default GM only oil ?

Seems GM wants you to only buy their oil in 2011. No doubt at inflated dealership prices !

DIY oil changes have faced challenges over the years. Some cities considered banning DIY oil changes to prevent disastrous pollution from used oil. Strong public support for DIY oil changes has led to good solutions, like education and mandatory oil recycling, in most places.

The latest challenge could be coming from General Motors. Traditionally, car manufacturers specify different oil weights (5W30) or broad categories like synthetic, but they all use the same oil standards (currently ILSAC GF-5 for gas engines) and leave it up to the vehicle owners or repair shops to choose their favorite oil brands.

Now GM is changing the status quo by requiring their proprietary, Dexos™ oil be used in new GM cars beginning in 2011. GM says Dexos™ offers more miles between oil changes. Skeptics say Dexos™ is probably very similar to GF-5. This proprietary oil will certainly bring licensing fees and royalties to GM. However, it might also alienate new GM car owners who discover a Dexos™ oil change is more expensive and initially only available at new car dealerships. Exclusive oil does not offer owners much cachet.

Car manufacturers have required special, secret-formula transmission, power steering, and other fluids in the past. After a few years, the fluid manufacturers often figured out how to create a fluid that met both the single car manufacturer’s testing standards as well as the standards everybody else was using. Proprietary, dealer-only fluids might be accepted in Europe or other parts of the world, but DIY and independent repair shop fluid changes just have too much support in the United States. I am guessing the Dexos™ standard will eventually just be another footnote on an oil bottle label.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

No it doesn't. As gearhead Jim said several weeks back, it appears Mobil 1 already meets GM's dexos requirement. So, no changes are needed. Other mfrs. will meet it, too, eventually.

Here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...os1-rated.html
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
No it doesn't. As gearhead Jim said several weeks back, it appears Mobil 1 already meets GM's dexos requirement. So, no changes are needed. Other mfrs. will meet it, too, eventually.

Here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...os1-rated.html
Yep...
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...l_1_5W-30.aspx
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My Mercedes requires that the oil meet Mercedes' spec but they list on their web site all the various oils/brands that meet their spec. But, when it comes to all the other fluids, including coolant, all they list is their fluids, leaving the owner no way to get a cross reference to other brands that will meet their spec. Fortunately, I haven't had to add/change any other fluids, but I'm not looking forward to the time I do have to. Especially after I was charged $135 for a 6 qt + filter oil change by my Mercedes dealer. After that one time, I now change the oil for ~$35 myself.

Looks like GM is determined to follow suit.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone's trying new ways of making money.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Monterey C6
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 58 Posts

The owner's manual says if the Dexos is not available you can use Mobile1 5w30 but it can cause loss of performance.

What made me mad was Gm puts out a car with a requirement for special oil but the oil is not available yet. My 2011 was down a half quart and I went to the auto parts store and could not get it. A call to the dealer reveled that the dealer does not even have it yet.

My only choice was to use regular Mobil1 syn 5W30 which may cause loss of performance. I did not buy a performance car to use power robbing products because the manufacturer could not get the required oil to the market ahead of the car.

If it is required it should have been out in time for the owner of a new car to get it.

Last edited by Monterey C6; 12-03-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM
GetupNRide
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No manufacturer can mandate that you use only their lubricant!
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and the general principle of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer can not require the use of any particular brand of hard part, filter or oil, to satisfy fulfillment of a warranty, unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge, under the terms of the vehicle warranty.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Good luck trying to prove the MMA if your engine is broke and the dealer said using the wrong fluid screwed it up. But if Dexos Mobil 1 is the same as regular Mobil 1 then there isn't an issue because they won't be able to tell the difference. MMA is so outdated it is pitiful. A car that loves to screw the owner for fluids is the GT-R.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM
GetupNRide
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote"Good luck trying to prove the MMA if your engine is broke and the dealer said using the wrong fluid screwed it up. But if Dexos Mobil 1 is the same as regular Mobil 1 then there isn't an issue because they won't be able to tell the difference. MMA is so outdated it is pitiful. A car that loves to screw the owner for fluids is the GT-R. "End quote
Phileaglesfan - I'm interested in hearing more about your experience with manufacaturers mandating that you use their specific brand of lubricant. They cannot - what they can do is require that lubricants meet certain specs - tell me where I'm wrong.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

An oil change at the dealer with them supplying the oil costs me about the same as my going to a quick oil change place with me supplying the M1. Even though I have a lift and do a lot of my own maintenance when getting ready for track events the oil change only happens once per year and it is easier to let the dealer handle the mess and getting rid of the old oil. If I did it myself I would only save $20.

Bill
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Here is a fairly current list of Dexos approved oils. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...798252&page=13

Go down to the 10/31/2010 @ 4:13 AM posting. There are three listed which should be relatively available. The Pennzoil Platinum would be my choice.

So we are not locked in to GM branded oils.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Good luck trying to prove the MMA if your engine is broke and the dealer said using the wrong fluid screwed it up. But if Dexos Mobil 1 is the same as regular Mobil 1 then there isn't an issue because they won't be able to tell the difference. MMA is so outdated it is pitiful. A car that loves to screw the owner for fluids is the GT-R.
The burden of proof is on the mfr to prove and not the consumer to disprove. MMA may be outdated but it's still the law of the land.

Get notified of new replies

To GM only oil ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM only oil ?