C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does "Oil life remaining - XX%" really mean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RussellZ
I had an 02 Lexus which I bought new. I never changed the oil just because I didn't give a damn.I sold the car to Carmax and let it be someone else's problem. I've never kept a car over 40K miles so I don't maintain them too well. I'm good about maintaining my Corvette & Mercedes and I change the fluids on my Harley every 2K-3K miles. I have a 3 year old Jeep which has been washed twice and the oil was changed once.
There was a thread that just got locked and a few were claiming if you buy new you are an idiot.

This post above is reason #1 why you better know what you are buying if used. I personally could never abuse a piece of machinery like this that I was operating, and this attitude of "I sold the car to Carmax and let it be someone else's problem." has to be the dick statement of the year.

Some poor individual will pay the price for this guys ethic.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 12-06-2010 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C5 Dude (06-16-2021)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I only put on around 6,000 miles yearly. It gets changed once a year, along with the Differential fluid.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:00 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Yeah, I remember. You may remember that at the time I was saying that every used Corvette's service history needs to be examined closely.
Honestly, I don't. I was under so much attack I did the best I could to simply make my statements -- that buying a used Hertz car was an ok thing to do if you drove one and it felt like a good car.

Hey, I LOVE my 2009 HZH vette. I love everything about it. But especially that when I was at the dealer the other day, the tech guy said "what is an HZH? Never heard of it."

I said "it's a Hertz."

Then he started pointing out the special features he liked about it.

I mean -- is that so bad?

Cheers,

Fred

PS: Everybody simply loves it...that's my point. (and so do I! )
Old 12-05-2010, 11:02 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
There was a thread that just got locked and a few were claiming if you buy new you are an idiot.
I think there are different reasons to buy new, and used.

If you're smart you'll choose the one that's right for you.

I'm comfortable with used, because I love to solve problems

Fred

PS: and I love that $20k discount

Last edited by lamboguy; 12-05-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: PS
Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
skipdale
Instructor

Default Oil Life Remaining

Originally Posted by RicK T
"Mileage" has nothing to do with the oil life monitor in the car. It all depends on type of driving and the conditions the engine sees. Could be 15,000 miles or 3,000 miles to go from 100% to 0%.....all depends. The % you see in the DIC is just something for you to gauge what's going on and what to expect.

The algorithm used for the oil life monitor is a calculation taking into account ignition cycles, engine RPM and engine temperature. Short trip stop and go driving and sudden start acceleration are the worst case scenarios as they will result in more ignition cycles, higher temperatures and higher rpm. This will drive the oil life down dramatically.
This post is mathematically incorrect. Oil percent remaining has everything to do with mileage. An algorithm must have a basis or initial state against which calculations are made to reach an output. It is this initial state, the number of miles against which the calculations are made, that we all want to know. With my '05 C6, the number seemed to be ~7500 miles. With hard driving I got a little less mileage before the DIC read 0% and with easier driving, I got more. With the my '08 Z06 the basis seems to be ~3000 miles. Because I rarely push the car and commute via a little traveled limited-access highway, I normally get 3500 to 4500 miles before 0% rolls around.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by skipdale
This post is mathematically incorrect. Oil percent remaining has everything to do with mileage. An algorithm must have a basis or initial state against which calculations are made to reach an output. It is this initial state, the number of miles against which the calculations are made, that we all want to know. With my '05 C6, the number seemed to be ~7500 miles. With hard driving I got a little less mileage before the DIC read 0% and with easier driving, I got more. With the my '08 Z06 the basis seems to be ~3000 miles. Because I rarely push the car and commute via a little traveled limited-access highway, I normally get 3500 to 4500 miles before 0% rolls around.
This thread will probably be locked soon, because threads over 45 (?) days without activity are not supposed to be revived.
But...

The C6 algorithm doesn't count down from a certain mileage, it counts down from 100%. Every so many revolutions depending on temp, etc it goes down by 1%. If you start the car and let it idle long enough, the OLI will go down from say 99% to 98%. Etc. Eventually the OLI would get down to 0, even if the car never moved.

As a practical matter, a long road trip will run my 2009 OLI down to about 50% in about 8,000 miles.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: What does "Oil life remaining - XX%" really mean?