C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering selling my vette but having a hard time estimating value

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:44 AM
DracoDan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Considering selling my vette but having a hard time estimating value

First of all, I would like to point out that I am NOT "gauging interest" here, I already have someone, a coworker, that I would like to sell my vette to. My goal is to figure out a fair price for both of us since the car has a bit of history...

The car:
2006 DSOM/ebony/gray wheels Coupe, A6, 3LT, Z51, NAV.
58xxx miles
The only mod is a B&B Fusion exhaust with mild2wild retrofit.

History:
Bought the car used in Aug 2008 for $32k
The first owner had hit a piece of retread on the highway which took some paint off the front bumper.
I was rear ended at a very slow speed in mid 2009. The only damage was a "spiderweb" in the paint. When I took it for repairs I also paid the (very reputable) body shop to repaint the front bumper.

in July 2010, I had an accident...
While driving on the highway in heavy rain, I hydro-planted just as a huge gust of wind from a tractor trailer hit me. I spun into the ditch at 65mph. I kept as much control as possible of the car and didn't hit anything other than the ditch, and was able to bring the car safely back on the road way. No airbags deployed. After the accident the car still ran with no fluid leaks; On-star confirmed that all systems on the car were working correctly. I drove the car another 200 miles right afterward and then 400 miles back home after the trip was over.

I had no real indication of the level of damage until after I got it to the body shop. In the end the damages amounted to around $11500, WAY more than the estimate. Here is a simplified list of damages/repairs:
Front and rear bumpers scraped but repairable (they look brand new after the repair)
Rear drivers-side quarter panel was damaged but repaired.
all 4 wheels damaged beyond repair. They were replaced but the replacements were re-manufactured wheels. The wheels now have no curb rash and look incredible.
one rear tire damaged, I paid for the other tire so both rear tires are brand new (Firestone wide-ovals).
rear leaf spring cracked (replaced)
wheel bearing on all 4 wheels were damaged and have now been replaced.
The frame and subframe assembly were undamaged and did not need to be straightened, but the transmission pan was dented.
The floor pans were slightly damaged and needed to be repaired.
The mufflers and tips were scratched (had them replace the stock with the B&B Fusion system)
There were a few other small things damaged, but nothing major.
In the end the car looks better (much better actually) than the day I received it; in looks brand new.
The title is still clean although a carfax would report that it has been in an accident.

I have also tracked the car 3 times at Summit point, nothing major occurred during the track days other than spinning the rear end off a turn and through a little dirt.

You can probably see why I'm having a hard time setting a good price on the car. I would like to point it out again that I AM NOT trying to sell the car on here, I already have someone I would like to sell to. I am thinking $23000 would be a balanced price, but I may be way over.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Ballypinball
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DracoDan
First of all, I would like to point out that I am NOT "gauging interest" here, I already have someone, a coworker, that I would like to sell my vette to. My goal is to figure out a fair price for both of us since the car has a bit of history...

The car:
2006 DSOM/ebony/gray wheels Coupe, A6, 3LT, Z51, NAV.
58xxx miles
The only mod is a B&B Fusion exhaust with mild2wild retrofit.

History:
Bought the car used in Aug 2008 for $32k
The first owner had hit a piece of retread on the highway which took some paint off the front bumper.
I was rear ended at a very slow speed in mid 2009. The only damage was a "spiderweb" in the paint. When I took it for repairs I also paid the (very reputable) body shop to repaint the front bumper.

in July 2010, I had an accident...
While driving on the highway in heavy rain, I hydro-planted just as a huge gust of wind from a tractor trailer hit me. I spun into the ditch at 65mph. I kept as much control as possible of the car and didn't hit anything other than the ditch, and was able to bring the car safely back on the road way. No airbags deployed. After the accident the car still ran with no fluid leaks; On-star confirmed that all systems on the car were working correctly. I drove the car another 200 miles right afterward and then 400 miles back home after the trip was over.

I had no real indication of the level of damage until after I got it to the body shop. In the end the damages amounted to around $11500, WAY more than the estimate. Here is a simplified list of damages/repairs:
Front and rear bumpers scraped but repairable (they look brand new after the repair)
Rear drivers-side quarter panel was damaged but repaired.
all 4 wheels damaged beyond repair. They were replaced but the replacements were re-manufactured wheels. The wheels now have no curb rash and look incredible.
one rear tire damaged, I paid for the other tire so both rear tires are brand new (Firestone wide-ovals).
rear leaf spring cracked (replaced)
wheel bearing on all 4 wheels were damaged and have now been replaced.
The frame and subframe assembly were undamaged and did not need to be straightened, but the transmission pan was dented.
The floor pans were slightly damaged and needed to be repaired.
The mufflers and tips were scratched (had them replace the stock with the B&B Fusion system)
There were a few other small things damaged, but nothing major.
In the end the car looks better (much better actually) than the day I received it; in looks brand new.
The title is still clean although a carfax would report that it has been in an accident.

I have also tracked the car 3 times at Summit point, nothing major occurred during the track days other than spinning the rear end off a turn and through a little dirt.

You can probably see why I'm having a hard time setting a good price on the car. I would like to point it out again that I AM NOT trying to sell the car on here, I already have someone I would like to sell to. I am thinking $23000 would be a balanced price, but I may be way over.
yes i would say way over priced, for a car that has had so much damage.
if it was a dog or cat, i would have put it down.

I would never on sell it to anyone directly if it was my car, i would send it to the auctions or trade it in.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 AM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

data point...
i traded my perfect '06 z51/6mn/nav/3LT MR/CAS C6 in June w/60kmiles.
got 23 in trade. car was then sold at auction for 18.

Last edited by jmagilto; 12-06-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 AM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

About 19k absolutely max. At least $5-6 k off due to history/condition.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
DracoDan
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sprtplt
About 19k absolutely max. At least $5-6 k off due to history/condition.
If that's the case, it looks like I will just hang on to the car. The only reason I was selling is because I now take the train to work and I'm a mile from the station, so the car sits in the garage most of the time and isn't being enjoyed. I owe just under $21k, so if I sell for less than that, I will have to pay to get rid of it - no thanks.

As far as trading goes, I already have another vehicle and I don't intend to replace this at this time. I figure I will start looking at 2010 z06s in a few years, unless the C7 really blows me away.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering selling my vette but having a hard time estimating value

Quick Reply: Considering selling my vette but having a hard time estimating value