C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe moving to Germany, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Maybe moving to Germany, need help

I am currently deployed, and got notification that I have orders to PCS to Ramstein Germany.
I was planning to buy a corvette after my deployment, how would it work if i wanted to take it to Germany? How much is registration, insurance, and what modifications would i have to make to it? I understood that US standards are more stringent than Europes, but I might be wrong.
Also, if my logic is correct, I wouldn't have to pay sales tax if i'm buying in the states before i leave, and registering it in Germany?

It would be a dream come true if i can afford getting the vette over to Europe! Nurburgring, autobahn, etc! I know gas is pricey ($8?), but i'm pretty sure military helps out with that (btw do you know what extra's military pays over there. USAF).
Old 12-15-2010, 11:30 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by kotik
I am currently deployed, and got notification that I have orders to PCS to Ramstein Germany.
I was planning to buy a corvette after my deployment, how would it work if i wanted to take it to Germany? How much is registration, insurance, and what modifications would i have to make to it? I understood that US standards are more stringent than Europes, but I might be wrong.
Also, if my logic is correct, I wouldn't have to pay sales tax if i'm buying in the states before i leave, and registering it in Germany?

It would be a dream come true if i can afford getting the vette over to Europe! Nurburgring, autobahn, etc! I know gas is pricey ($8?), but i'm pretty sure military helps out with that (btw do you know what extra's military pays over there. USAF).
If your in the service you got it made. Yes, you can ship a AMERICAN vehicle either way.....only foreign vehicle if you bought it in U.S. and originates in U.S. The registration part is by treaty and Military takes care of registering your vehicle. They even have unleaded gas at subsidized rates....you have to buy the coupons from Military....rate at which susidy occurs is set by exchange rate which is BAD now. So subsidy is much greater. If base is large enough to have it's own gas station then no coupons to have to buy. The prices you pay per gallon on base will be same as U.S. cost. The Military buys it and you get subsidy that way.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

IMHO you should seriously consider getting a Euro-spec C6.

You would be in compliance and converting a US version is a major PITA and not particularly cheap.

When you and the car come back home I'm pretty sure it will still be legal for the US without changing anything.

I spent a brief time at Ramstein 20 years ago, entertaining not serving, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Good Luck and thanks for your service.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 PM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way of getting out of taxes unless yoy buy in Europe through AAFES WHILE THERE for when you are there. When you return you will probably not have to pay sales tax since the car will be used after several years.Gas will cost you no more as long as you use the AAFES coupons which like alchohol and tobacco are rationed. Under certain conditions you can get an extra allotment of gas coupons when traveling extensively but you will probably not have the occassion to use this. Most other foreign countries in Europe will recognize the coupons but some will not. Denmark for example did not when I was there and when I filled up my Porsche it cost me almost a hundred bucks and this was in 1980. No telling what it is now. If you travel to such a country,make sure you hit their shore full, and that you know the distance you will travel while there and allow enough to get back to the boat. For example,when I got to Denmark I was full, but traveled the scandanavian countries extensively so I had to fill before I returned. When I went back the second time (Denmark is great to visit and pro American), I got on the boat with my car full at Hanover,Ge. and made sure I only drove a certain amount so I could get back to the boat on what I came over on. Trains and buses are great there and you can leave your car almost anywhere without fear of theft.Insurance there will be more because when they have a wreck it is usually extensive.I would also recommend you buy it there and if you stay a good while,sell it while there to a German. Even when 3 years old it will bring well over what you will have paid for it. Hope this helps. I had a good time there and stayed for almost 8 years and hated to leave. The Autobahn is great to drive. Favorite cars in Germany from the US is Vette #1. They like red,silver,grey,and black in that order. And the more loaded it is, the better they like it. Have a good time. You will love it. Auf Wediersehn!!

Last edited by mack morrow jr; 12-15-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 PM
david9962000
Racer

I exported a 911 to France a few years ago and "Automobile Concept" in Miami did everything for me. Call them at 305-893-1950, they will direct you in the right direction.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Got your PM but figured I would post in here to inform all the uninformed people on this site that may ask the question later. I am currently stationed at Ramstein and have had my Vette here for about a year. If you are military you can ship an American spec car here and register it with USAREUR. No need to convert anything to euro specs. You just have to pass an inspection that is a little stricter than stateside so I would recommend buying a stock car. If you don't I can send you the reg that governs the inspection to make sure the car you buy will pass. Gas prices on base are comparable to US gas prices. I think I just paid less than $3 a gallon to fill up tonight. You get a fuel ration when you register your car. I believe for the Vette it is 400 liters per month. If you go over that you have to buy gas off base. The government has a deal with Esso gas stations where you get a card and can buy gas credit on the card at the on base rate then use your card at any Esso in Germany. Insurance is expensive. I pay about $280 through USAA for full coverage on a 08 Vette, liability on my beater 01 VW and renters insurance. I'm 28 and have a spotless driving record so it's kind of ridiculous considering I was paying $60 a month back in TX for the Vette. I was told it's that expensive because Germany requires greater coverage and when the company pays out they have to pay in euros. Not sure about the whole sales tax thing because I don't know if you can ship the car without it being registered first. If you do I believe you would have to pay sales tax on it when you bring it back to the states after your tour. Not sure if theres any way to get out of it all together. I did the same thing you did, bought a vette with the money I saved during a deployment, but I bought mine while I was deployed and I had already been stationed here for 2 years. I ended up just going home on leave after my deployment, getting it registered and then dropping it off to ship.

Well that's probably the longest post I've ever made on here. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be glad to help. What squadron you going to be with?

Last edited by Bradl1982; 12-16-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Bradl1982
Pro

Forgot to mention, the air force will pay for you to ship at least one vehicle. Maybe more depending on if you are married or not. They already have a shipping company they use so no need to search around for a different one unless you plan on paying for it yourself. If you do pm me and I'll let you know the one I used. Galveston to pretty much my front door here for 900€! I had the air force pay to ship my Camaro and paid for the Vette myself.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bradl1982! thanks to the rest as well!

well, then it sounds good! If i will go thru with the orders, I'll be there in May! I'll be with the Med Group (I'm a med tech). What about you? The only thing i'm working on right now is figuring out if my assigment will go thru, I have volunteered to crosstrain into DTRA, but will be declining it, if I'm still on assigment list to Germany.

Registration... hmm, I'm pretty sure i don't have to pay the sales tax if i'm shipping the car overseas. After my 3 year tour, i'm planning on selling the car in Germany (can probably get more for it there), and maybe taking a German back. Lookng to get 08 3lt.... too bad about the mods... maybe I can buy some mods, put them in the trunk, pass the inspection and put the mods on the car after (will need some extra juice to run with them modded M5's/m6's. p.s. how much are they used over there(06/07)? So I understand I don't have to convert it to Euro standard? great news, everyone say's it's pricey!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Bradl1982
Pro

I'm in the LRS squadron. Yes you understand correctly, you will not have to convert it to euro specs besides throwing a warning triangle and a first aid kit in the trunk.

I don't know why people think you can get more for a car over here if they sell it to a German. I would like to hear one real story about that happening. You would have to meet a ridiculously rich German. I almost had my Camaro sold to a German guy until he looked into it and realized he would have to convert it to euro specs to pass their Tüv inspection and then pay something like a 28% import tax on it. Needless to say he didn't buy it.

I didn't mean you can't mod your car here and pass the inspection. I just wanted you to know it would be easier to pass with a stock car. I had my camaro pass after a huge headache and it had quite a bit done to it. Of course I had to get a whole new 2.5" exhaust built to quiet down the long tubes and cam that were in it. In my opinion it was more hassle than it was worth.

Modded m5s and m6s? Haven't seen any of those around haha You will do just fine against the Mercedes station wagons and Opel hatchbacks. My brother came to visit thinking high end beemers and Mercedes were going to be racing up and down the autobahn and was sorely disappointed. Of course I don't really know much about the racing scene here so they might be out there but they sure do a great job at hiding.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 AM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's awesome - I'm glad the military has this set up for those stationed overseas. And thank you gentlemen for your service to our country!! We appreciate you.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Edgardo_roldan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mack morrow jr
There is no way of getting out of taxes unless yoy buy in Europe through AAFES WHILE THERE for when you are there. When you return you will probably not have to pay sales tax since the car will be used after several years.Gas will cost you no more as long as you use the AAFES coupons which like alchohol and tobacco are rationed. Under certain conditions you can get an extra allotment of gas coupons when traveling extensively but you will probably not have the occassion to use this. Most other foreign countries in Europe will recognize the coupons but some will not. Denmark for example did not when I was there and when I filled up my Porsche it cost me almost a hundred bucks and this was in 1980. No telling what it is now. If you travel to such a country,make sure you hit their shore full, and that you know the distance you will travel while there and allow enough to get back to the boat. For example,when I got to Denmark I was full, but traveled the scandanavian countries extensively so I had to fill before I returned. When I went back the second time (Denmark is great to visit and pro American), I got on the boat with my car full at Hanover,Ge. and made sure I only drove a certain amount so I could get back to the boat on what I came over on. Trains and buses are great there and you can leave your car almost anywhere without fear of theft.Insurance there will be more because when they have a wreck it is usually extensive.I would also recommend you buy it there and if you stay a good while,sell it while there to a German. Even when 3 years old it will bring well over what you will have paid for it. Hope this helps. I had a good time there and stayed for almost 8 years and hated to leave. The Autobahn is great to drive. Favorite cars in Germany from the US is Vette #1. They like red,silver,grey,and black in that order. And the more loaded it is, the better they like it. Have a good time. You will love it. Auf Wediersehn!!
Just an update

- AFFES do not sell Corvette since 2005 or CHEVROLET
- Cupons are out since 2009 (ESSO plastic card) use off post ESSO stations only.
- Not all post have supe + unl....Ramstein does
- So bring a Vette to Germany or get a EURO one $$$$$ (low dollar rate) from OPEL
- Or there a few C6 for sale here from Americans Service Members

Send PM if any question. BTW just got back from Ramstein this afternoon...lot snow and coooollllttttt
Old 12-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Edgardo_roldan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradl1982
I'm in the LRS squadron. Yes you understand correctly, you will not have to convert it to euro specs besides throwing a warning triangle and a first aid kit in the trunk.

I don't know why people think you can get more for a car over here if they sell it to a German. I would like to hear one real story about that happening. You would have to meet a ridiculously rich German. I almost had my Camaro sold to a German guy until he looked into it and realized he would have to convert it to euro specs to pass their Tüv inspection and then pay something like a 28% import tax on it. Needless to say he didn't buy it.

I didn't mean you can't mod your car here and pass the inspection. I just wanted you to know it would be easier to pass with a stock car. I had my camaro pass after a huge headache and it had quite a bit done to it. Of course I had to get a whole new 2.5" exhaust built to quiet down the long tubes and cam that were in it. In my opinion it was more hassle than it was worth.

Modded m5s and m6s? Haven't seen any of those around haha You will do just fine against the Mercedes station wagons and Opel hatchbacks. My brother came to visit thinking high end beemers and Mercedes were going to be racing up and down the autobahn and was sorely disappointed. Of course I don't really know much about the racing scene here so they might be out there but they sure do a great job at hiding.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:22 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

OP, I was stationed at Ramstien from 1984 to 1988! Before you buy and ship it over need to consider a couple of things that I ran into. First if financing make sure that the bank will alow you to take it out of the country. They will not ship without an authorization from the bank if financed. I had to pay my car off in order to ship it over. Also I don't know if they have changed it but when I was there Insurance was also base on how much horse power the car had. Could be very expensive to insure if it is still that way!! You will really like it over there!! We had a Great time and hopefully someday will get to go back for a visit!

Mark Givans USAF Ret
Old 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

If you are not a member of USAA, that should be your first move. They are the best.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:25 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Brad's comments are right on Target. Check out CF for sale section; i recently purchased a C6 Z06 then ship it to Germany.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree with Brad on his posts. I was stationed at Spangdahlem for a total of 8 years (86-88, 93-99).

You can ship one car if you are married or not. The only way you can ship two is if you are married to another military person. You don't have to ship one over to ship one back.

You will pay sales tax if you buy it in the states which makes sense. It sounds like AAFES doesn't sell C6s new so buying here will be your best option.

Insurance WILL be ultra expensive but you get a big COLA to cover things. I think I always paid at least $140 a month over there no matter what I owned.

Their inspection is a lot tougher than any state.

Don't buy it just to sell it. Germans (I had a real good German friend), must pay about a 25% import tax then convert it in order for them to buy it. I think most of the conversion is lights/windshield.

Driver's license and registration was cheap. 400 liters of gas goes a long way. Getting rid of the coupons is an improvement. Their gas is a lot better. Coupons worked in Netherlands also. If you go to Italy or England you can get their coupons or whatever they use.

Remember that Germany has generally crappy weather, usually wet most of the year. Driving on snow with summer tires is a no-no over there. Tires are ultra expensive. They didn't repair them back then also. The good thing is that there isn't any junk on the roads.

Driving in Germany is extremely different. Drive like an American and you'll either be dead or paying massive tickets. Speed limits and just about every other driving laws are very strict. A Golf on the side of the road is usually not broken down. It costs the Germans about $2-3k to earn their license

I didn't ship any vehicle over and I brought back a US Spec Audi.

Warranties are good for 1 year / unlimited mileage. US warranty does not apply once you leave country. Parts are EXTREMELY expensive on the economy. If you ever desired to own a German car it would be a good time to buy one.

Be prepared to be stared at like crazy. Always expect a crowd around your car. Parking spaces real big real tight (my 98 A4 actually felt big). I didn't attempt to park my 96 Trans Am in a garage. I usually hoped for a parallel or end spot. Some German towns hate noise also. A friend with a Harley gave up driving it.

Check your bank first and get it in writing that you can ship the car overseas. I would get USAA if you don't have them already.

If you plan on traveling a lot, I would personaly skip the Vette and go European. Terrorism is a big threat these days but at least you don't have USA down the middle of your plate any more.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Like Phil said the weather here is crappy so you probably don't want the Vette to be your only car. I drove to work tonight in my VW Golf and was sliding all over the road. You will need permission from the bank to ship it over here. If you are financing I suggest Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I believe they have something like 2.99% for 60 months on new and used vehicles. You'll be hard pressed to bea that and they'll know exactly what you are asking for when you ask for a letter to ship it overseas.

Driving over here is a lot different but once you get used to it you will hate driving on the freeway in the states! If the cops back home spent half the time enforcing the left lane is the fast lane and no passing on the right the streets would be a lot safer.

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe moving to Germany, need help

Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all advices! I have experience driving in Europe (i'm a russian native, and grew up in Latvia). I have USAA, but i'll check out Pentagon Federal Cedit Union (i currently have Andrews Federal credit union), 2.99 is a good rate!

I'm still a bit sceptical about paying sales tax, since I will be shipping the car overseas and registering it there. Something i got to look into. My RNLTD is 31 may, with projected leaving date mid April... I will be deployed until March, which gives me a month to find the vette, put it on the ship and send it out. I won't even be getting tags for it (what's the point). Can any of the dealers chime in on this?

I don't think I will stick out in a vette being that i know 3 other languages (my friends call me NFL, no first language, because I speak both english and russian as a native. when i'm in the states ppl don't know i'm russian, when i'm in russia they can't tell that i'm from the states ).

Ok, just curious, what would you buy in Germany for about $32k? I need performance, and hoping to frequent nurburgring....
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kotik
Thanks for all advices! I have experience driving in Europe (i'm a russian native, and grew up in Latvia). I have USAA, but i'll check out Pentagon Federal Cedit Union (i currently have Andrews Federal credit union), 2.99 is a good rate!

I'm still a bit sceptical about paying sales tax, since I will be shipping the car overseas and registering it there. Something i got to look into. My RNLTD is 31 may, with projected leaving date mid April... I will be deployed until March, which gives me a month to find the vette, put it on the ship and send it out. I won't even be getting tags for it (what's the point). Can any of the dealers chime in on this?

I don't think I will stick out in a vette being that i know 3 other languages (my friends call me NFL, no first language, because I speak both english and russian as a native. when i'm in the states ppl don't know i'm russian, when i'm in russia they can't tell that i'm from the states ).

Ok, just curious, what would you buy in Germany for about $32k? I need performance, and hoping to frequent nurburgring....
Honestly if I were you I would go for a nice 911 or Turbo Porsche. It still is much more capable of handling the constant high speeds of the Autobahn and just wait till you return to get the Vette. Plus you will find maintenance easier to come by And if you have never owned a Porsche you will be in for a great surprise.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mack morrow jr
Honestly if I were you I would go for a nice 911 or Turbo Porsche. It still is much more capable of handling the constant high speeds of the Autobahn and just wait till you return to get the Vette. Plus you will find maintenance easier to come by And if you have never owned a Porsche you will be in for a great surprise.
Fact or opinion? If fact, please educate me.

Quick Reply: Maybe moving to Germany, need help