C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:19 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission

If anyone is having issues about getting you manual C6 trans into gear during speed shifting, this video will solve your problems!

Kent

Last edited by lkelliott; 05-26-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice find
Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 AM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I saw the raindrops I was afraid maybe he was some kind of nut who was gonna try and speedshift on the slick roads at full throttle...one-a-those 'crash videos' - - -
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Some good tips and demo, although a bit drawn out.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

My most missed shift is 5th to 4th. I end up in 2nd. Good points he makes, I should improve this shift now. I have 3 million miles of shifting thirteen and eighteen speed gear boxes, just eighteen thousand with the 08 C6. I gotta get the C6 out more.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 AM
tomzarbo
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I have Ever shifted my Vette as fast as he did. Even when getting on it a bit, I usually take the extra few tenths of a second to make sure the tranny is in gear before I get on the throttle again.

The potential problem with shifting that quick is this: When done that fast, it becomes one fluid movement... So you are expecting to be in the next gear when you let out the clutch, if it doesn't go into gear properly for whatever reason, there really isn't enough time to stop your foot from letting the clutch out -- at least for me there wouldn't be.

It looks like such a fast movement -- floor clutch pedal, shove shifter, quickly let out clutch pedal, that if something goes wrong with the shift -- you may be letting the clutch out while not in gear, or worse -- while still pushing the shifter to try to get it into gear.

When I had my Miata several years back, I did miss a few shifts now and then. I taught myself to think of shifting as a two action process. After clutching, I would first-take the shifter out of the gear it was in, then second-put it in the gear I wanted to go into.
I never missed a shift after I started doing it that way. After a few months my new shifting action became more second nature and I didn't need to think of it in terms of those two steps -- I had "taught" myself to shift in a way.

I guess I just don't feel the need to shift that fast. It looks cool when someone else is doing it to their car, but I think it may cause problems in the real world for many people, and I don't think I will be adopting the speedy part of that technique any time soon.

I do agree with his pressure points aspect to shifting, where you push on the stick to get it into gear and how to position your hand for the shift -- that's good advice, and something I've followed since the first few months of owning and figuring out how to best shift the car.

TomZ
Old 12-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Walshman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative video!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Some good tips and demo, although a bit drawn out.
Shifting 101...I got the feeling he's a driver's ed teacher.

Originally Posted by Boomer111
My most missed shift is 5th to 4th. I end up in 2nd. Good points he makes, I should improve this shift now. I have 3 million miles of shifting thirteen and eighteen speed gear boxes, just eighteen thousand with the 08 C6. I gotta get the C6 out more.
I think you can wind it out to 170+ mph in 4th gear so for all practical purposes 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears for extended highway cruising (not in-town driving). There's no need to speed-shift from 5th to 4th...take your time and get the 'feel' for it.

I knew a guy who complained about missing the 2-3 shift. I observed at WOT he was way too tense...he had a death grip on the shifter and he was 'forcing' the shift (sometimes locking it out of gear). I'm no expert but I suggested he slow it down and concentrate on being relaxed. Use a light touch to guide the shifter towards 3rd...give it a 'suggestion' of where to go and it'll find its way. You don't need a heavy hand to shift quickly. Be relaxed and smooth and the speed will follow.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I think you can wind it out to 170+ mph in 4th gear so for all practical purposes 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears for extended highway cruising (not in-town driving). There's no need to speed-shift from 5th to 4th...take your time and get the 'feel' for it.

I knew a guy who complained about missing the 2-3 shift. I observed at WOT he was way too tense...he had a death grip on the shifter and he was 'forcing' the shift (sometimes locking it out of gear). I'm no expert but I suggested he slow it down and concentrate on being relaxed. Use a light touch to guide the shifter towards 3rd...give it a 'suggestion' of where to go and it'll find its way. You don't need a heavy hand to shift quickly. Be relaxed and smooth and the speed will follow.
Totally agree...
I've been to 140 in 4th with plenty of room left...agree there is little need to speed shift there and 4th-to-5th (for me anyway) is an easy shift. And it is just like 2nd-to-3rd so using the heel of the hand only to push that 2nd-to-3rd forward works very well for me - it seems to find its way without forcing anything.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 12-19-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

This would be helpful for anyone first learning to use a C6 manual transmission, or the many who have never really mastered the art. Speed shifting up and down through the gears is a joy when executed flawlessly, with precise timing, and while matching engine speeds to the next lower gear while downshifting. Another joy is to be able to accelerate up through the gears more smoothly than can be done with an automatic transmission. Although many think they can drive a stick shift well, few can. The simple fact that the majority of Corvettes are purchased with automatic transmissions is simple evidence that few have ever mastered the art, so they settle for an automatic transmission to do the job for them, and to save themselves from embarrassment. They can make all the lame excuses in the world for driving an automatic, but except for those who are physically impaired, the fact is they simply lack the skills needed to drive a manual transmission well, which is after all is said and done, the true essence and ultimate joy of driving a sports car.

Last edited by laconiajack; 12-19-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I started to watch the video, but that guy talks so slowly I quit watching. Not doubting he makes some good points, but I've been shifting gears for decades, and without problems on the C6. Those who do have some problems usually have difficulty with 2nd to 3rd up shift on the C6. As stated previously, don't try to manhandle it with a hard grip. Relax the hand, and use a loose grip pushing forward, and let the spring move the shifter into place for third gear.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Pretty good find, thanks for posting it.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Moonray13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I could not understand the >> overdrive gears for extended highway cruising (not in-town driving). << until I looked at the poster info. Ohhh, TUCSON. Well, that explains the limited, localized view of highway driving in a city.
Tucson may have grown beyond the "Olde Pubelo", but you still do not have the inner-belts and beltways the rest of us have on our city highway systems.

That being said, there are many opportunities to use 5th and 6th gear on our city highways & beltways, and that returns better gas mileage which is good for the wallet and is environmentally responsible.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by tomzarbo
I don't think I have Ever shifted my Vette as fast as he did. Even when getting on it a bit, I usually take the extra few tenths of a second to make sure the tranny is in gear before I get on the throttle again.

The potential problem with shifting that quick is this: When done that fast, it becomes one fluid movement... So you are expecting to be in the next gear when you let out the clutch, if it doesn't go into gear properly for whatever reason, there really isn't enough time to stop your foot from letting the clutch out -- at least for me there wouldn't be.

It looks like such a fast movement -- floor clutch pedal, shove shifter, quickly let out clutch pedal, that if something goes wrong with the shift -- you may be letting the clutch out while not in gear, or worse -- while still pushing the shifter to try to get it into gear.

When I had my Miata several years back, I did miss a few shifts now and then. I taught myself to think of shifting as a two action process. After clutching, I would first-take the shifter out of the gear it was in, then second-put it in the gear I wanted to go into.
I never missed a shift after I started doing it that way. After a few months my new shifting action became more second nature and I didn't need to think of it in terms of those two steps -- I had "taught" myself to shift in a way.

I guess I just don't feel the need to shift that fast. It looks cool when someone else is doing it to their car, but I think it may cause problems in the real world for many people, and I don't think I will be adopting the speedy part of that technique any time soon.

I do agree with his pressure points aspect to shifting, where you push on the stick to get it into gear and how to position your hand for the shift -- that's good advice, and something I've followed since the first few months of owning and figuring out how to best shift the car.

TomZ
The video was made to help those who have a death grip on their shifter to learn how to shift with a light touch. The speed that I was able to shift the C6 manual transmission is from using a light touch and using the correct pressure points on the shifter ****. The only application for shifting this fast would be in drag racing. I don't shift this fast all the time but my points still have a use in regular daily driving. Many C6 drivers are trying way too hard to get their car into the next gear and really don't know if the car went into the correct gear until they let the clutch out. My tips will get you into the correct gear every time weather you shift slow or fast! LOL

Last edited by lkelliott; 12-20-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:11 AM
elitebomberX
Racer

Was this shot using a GoPro? Nice shifting. I recently installed a MGW short throw shifter and am grateful.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

He shifts faster than he talks. (good thing)

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission

Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Boomer111
not trying to make fun, but 5th downshifting to 4th is your missed shift? how do you do that? doesn't your shifter have a centering spring that brings the shifter to the center position, which is right in the 3rd/4th area? if you pull your lever out of 5th with one finger, it will naturally center right over 4th, not 2nd. again, this is all correct only if you have the centering spring.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
not trying to make fun, but 5th downshifting to 4th is your missed shift? how do you do that? doesn't your shifter have a centering spring that brings the shifter to the center position, which is right in the 3rd/4th area? if you pull your lever out of 5th with one finger, it will naturally center right over 4th, not 2nd. again, this is all correct only if you have the centering spring.
OK I'll respond cause some have commented.

By the way I never speed shift, might try and down shift quickly but never upshift for speed.

I miss the 5th to 4th shift usually when approaching a slow turn at a high speed for the turn and of course I am pushing the car a bit! I have 4:10's so I can use the gear box more...OK. Obviously I have the death grip on the shifter and muscle it to 2nd. Only done it a few times but nevertheless it has happened. Guys I have stated before I do not track at all. Sometimes a little spirited drive. The C6 gear box is not the most user friendly I have used, centering spring is to weak IMO. I missed shifts some in the big rig but that is due to rev matching, I never used the clutch except for roll off. Missing in the rig just meant having to match rpm to let her slip in, without grinding. Again usually under more sever driving conditions, like downshifting up a steep grade.

Again, I got get the Vette out more!!

Thanks for your suggestions on my driving skills

Last edited by Boomer111; 12-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
lkelliott
Drifting

Originally Posted by VET4LES
He shifts faster than he talks. (good thing)
After having four brain surgeries several years ago, I do speak rather slowly. I'll never be able to do a 30 second spot on the radio, that is for sure! LOL

Kent

Quick Reply: Shifting tips for the C6 manual transmission