C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 hud wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 hud wtf?

So the HUD stopped working (at least, when I'm sitting in the driver's seat, I can't see the HUD projected in the display).

I got on the CF and found this problem described in detail about the HUD mirror supports beaking. So...

After I had my mechanic take the dash out, and the HUD unit, he found... the HUD apparently in great shape. The mirror is just where it's supposed to be. It appears to be fully functional just by looking at it (not by electrically function-testing it).

About the same time I found the HUD to not be working, I had another mechanic disconnect the battery to attempt to reset the car (it was having trouble finding the fob and allowing me to start the car).

Is it possible the HUD needs to be recalibrated after a hard reset (battery disconnect), and that's the problem with being able to see the HUD display? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Any chance you had the brightness slide on the HUD controls slid down? Did you check the fuse? Or was the vertical position all the way down? It can be raised with the up arrow on the control ***'y. Just looking for the easy stuff after you've got all the hard stuff out of the way.

Last edited by 65GGvert; 12-20-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Any chance you had the brightness slide on the HUD controls slid down? Did you check the fuse?
I could see the HUD (at least a blue fluorescent light of the correct color) by looking straight down through the windshield outside the car, but couldn't see the HUD on the inside by looking at the windshield from the driver's point of view.

The brightness wasn't the problem. BTW, the C6 doesn't have a "slider" control for the brightness... it's a pushbutton. And the brightness wasn't the problem. It was the first thing I checked when I noticed I couldn't see the HUD.

Also, the up/dn adjustment didn't fix the problem either.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Is it possible the HUD needs to be recalibrated after a hard reset (battery disconnect), and that's the problem with being able to see the HUD display? Any help would be appreciated.
Never heard of that happening.I think you should go with the brightness arrows like the other guy said.Damn,you took everyhting apart first???Also,I think there is a fuse for the HUD in the car somewhere.Check that too.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
CraigE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or the up/down adjustment is adjusted out of your view.

EDIT; sorry I see you answered that in post #3 as I was typing.

Last edited by CraigE; 12-20-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CraigE
Or the up/down adjustment is adjusted out of your view.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Nevermind. They beat me to it.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM
prseasix
Race Director

PEOPLE....

The adjustments from inside the car are not the problem.

I tried those before the dash was torn out.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:54 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

PEOPLE....

The adjustments from inside the car are not the problem.

I tried those before the dash was torn out.
preasix---check for a fuse burnout.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM
prseasix
Race Director

If a fuse were burned out, how would I still be able to see the blue fluorescent display lit up within the HUD unit, from outside the car?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

You didn't have your windshield replaced with one for a Corvette without HUD, did you?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NORTY
You didn't have your windshield replaced with one for a Corvette without HUD, did you?
The HUD works fine with a non HUD windshield.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
Geoff13IOM6GS (11-15-2022), vetteJPJ (12-15-2021)
Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The symptoms you describe are the exact same as on a C5 when the pin that mounts the mirror get sheared on one side or the other. When the mechanic checked, did he take the HUD apart and check the two small pins the mirror rotates on? If the up/down isn't working, it's usually either that or the motor that moves the mirror is not working.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM
prseasix
Race Director

Originally Posted by NORTY

No, the windshield has never been replaced.

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The symptoms you describe are the exact same as on a C5 when the pin that mounts the mirror get sheared on one side or the other. When the mechanic checked, did he take the HUD apart and check the two small pins the mirror rotates on? If the up/down isn't working, it's usually either that or the motor that moves the mirror is not working.
The mirror and its supports are all intact. The mirror can be moved (gently) manually, and it is moving just fine with the gear and the motor.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Okay, one more try. It has to be either the up/down switch, the motor, or the wiring. The only way I know would be to start measuring for voltage to the motor, continuity through the up/down switch, etc. Maybe the connector to the up/down switch is loose/broken? I don't know if the motor has a seperate fuse from the display portion, but it doesn't seem like it would. I hope you'll post what you found once you do, it's an interesting problem.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM
prseasix
Race Director

I'm thinking it must be the motor. The mechanic said he didn't want to just hook up the HUD without everything else in the dash hooked back up.

I'm wondering if the weak (original Aug 2004) battery is the problem. I mentioned this to the mechanic. The car has been getting slow to crank, and I don't drive it very much at all.

He's going to replace the battery with a new one, then hook everything back up and see if the problem goes away.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if this is your issue however when I first got my 09' new in Spring of last year for the first week of ownership I'd jump in the car, start it up and no HUD. It was working but for some reason kept defaulting to a reflective setting that was not in my vision on the windshield. So I'd have to arrow up or down, I forget which and the data would slowly slide either up or down into the view area and off I'd go. After the first week or so of ownership this nonsense stopped and no additional problems since then. What I'm suggesting is checking to make sure using the up down motor adjustment that the mirror is reflecting onto the windshield in the location you view it at. A little off and it's displaying where you can't see it sitting behind the steering wheel.

Good luck.

George

Get notified of new replies

To C6 hud wtf?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
Not sure if this is your issue however when I first got my 09' new in Spring of last year for the first week of ownership I'd jump in the car, start it up and no HUD. It was working but for some reason kept defaulting to a reflective setting that was not in my vision on the windshield. So I'd have to arrow up or down, I forget which and the data would slowly slide either up or down into the view area and off I'd go. After the first week or so of ownership this nonsense stopped and no additional problems since then. What I'm suggesting is checking to make sure using the up down motor adjustment that the mirror is reflecting onto the windshield in the location you view it at. A little off and it's displaying where you can't see it sitting behind the steering wheel.

Good luck.

George
I wonder if it sets with the "memory"? After I get everything where I want it, I hold in the "1" button on the door until I get the multiple beeps to confirm that it has set the seat, mirror, and other stuff into memory for driver #1.

Elmer
Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It might Elmer, I'm not sure exactly what I did last spring however it may have been as simple as getting all the pre-sets set up and the HUD position is one of them thus nor more screwing with it. When the OP noted the battery had been disconnected is when I thought about the default of the HUD not being in his view on the windshield and it would likely need to be arrowed up or down to return it to his needed viewing position.

George
Old 12-20-2010, 07:59 PM
RPHCRMZ51
Racer

I do not think the battery is the issue. I do not think the memory function is the issue either. I had my battery go dead twice recenty ( my fault ) and the only thing I had to do was re-index the windows and reset my outside mirrors ( memory function ).

Quick Reply: C6 hud wtf?