C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind noise with glass roof

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
plbrand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wind noise with glass roof

I bought a glass roof for my '07 C6 - love the open sky above! But I get a little bit of wind noise right at the front corners where the roof, windshield and windows come together.

Is there a simple way to adjust the latches to pull the top down a tad bit more at the front?

I've read the roof noise thread, but most of it revolves around the creaking and popping, not minor wind noise.

I don't want to mess up the latch adjustments or stress the glass, but I'd like to dial out this annoying little wind noise.

Thanks in advance,

PL Brand
Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

you can tighten the latches but can also very easliy stress the glass. oil your weather stripping and keep it lubricated. that is very important. might be too dry maybe even slightly worn. try replacing the strips only like a 40 fix.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

PL I'm sure you have tried this but I'll say it anyway, make sure the windows are completely up. Get in the car and close the door. The window will re-index go up. Hit the window button upward and see if the window moves any.

Also the lube sounds like a good idea. I just got one from Gene and it went on with no problem. Haven't had mine up to speed yet. Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
plbrand
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks, Guys

Many thanks, guys. I did try an aerosol silicone spray lube, but it's pretty light. It helped with the creaking, but not the wind noise.

I'll try the heavier lube - I'm hesitant to tighten the front latches much.

Fortunately, it's not bad. I put a triangular piece of two-sided foam tape on the inner front corners of the top and that actually seemed to quiet it some.

Will try this again with a better fit with the tape.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only have a glass top and never noticed this noise. Maybe yours is sticking up to high and catching wind where your solid top wasn't? I bought a 75% coverage screen for mine to cut down on the sun here in AZ.

Good luck
Old 01-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Re-indexing the side windows, as mentioned above, is free and easy.

Adjusting the latches can be a real project, there are lots of things that usually don't need adjustment but might in your case. I'd consider talking to a dealer with a good Corvette guy.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Mine did that the first time I put it on....I took it off the next day and lubed all the rubber..replaced the top and no more noise with the clear top. I figure the noise came because of a slightly different footprint on the rubber between the tops. Lubing them allowed the rubber perk up some and fill the void.

Or maybe it was juts luck. ;0

now if I could stop the popping the side window makes when it is all the way up..

Get notified of new replies

To Wind noise with glass roof

Quick Reply: Wind noise with glass roof