C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Quick Release Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
robforster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why one would want a fold down plate frame unless showing the car. I have been driving mine in Ca. for 2 years without a front --passed hundreds of our finest and two on motorcycles looked at the front at a stop signed and said "I wounln't put a plate on a Vette either." Even though it is the law. Unless you are in a state with photographic tickets for such picky issues, leave it clean as designed---how about a NO FRONT PLATE POLITICAL PARTY?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by robforster
---how about a NO FRONT PLATE POLITICAL PARTY?
Where do I sign up?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by valleygrandsportc6
So for over 5 years I got away with just putting my front license plate in my lower right hand corner of my window attached via some clear suction cups. Remarkably I never got any grief for it from the local police.

Now that I have my new GS I have been looking at all the options out there for front license plate brackets and I am curious if anyone has tried the one advertised by West Coast Corvette that has a quick release. Handy if you don't want it on for car shows, detailing, etc. It can be seen here:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...and-sport.aspx

The unit from Top Flight reproductions also looks good - however looks to be a more permanent solution.

I hate to have a front plate on my baby at all - but I thought I would gather some opinions on others who may have used these two particular products, or if there is something else out there that might work with the GS.

Of course I may just keep using my trusty suction cups and just play the odds.

Thanks everyone.

This one does NOT fit GS/Z06,I did my research over the last 3 weeks and just got my Top Flight removable one in the other day,too cold to put on just yet. btw it's just two wing nuts to remove,for cruise nights and car shows.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B y r o n
I haven't seen mention of this fitting on a Z06 or GS. It appears to mount under the front bumper and it looks like the splitter would be in the way.
It does get in the way,i went with top flight.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Coolleon
Advanced

Hello,

I have did my research and chose the Mercado Ind version quick release bracket for my 2010 ZR1. Unlike the other brands, this bracket uses 4 powerful magnets to hold the bracket in place. Removal and placement is easy. It also comes with security bolts for added security.
I put it on when I drive and take it off when I go to the car shows.
No air flow disruptions or engine cooling problems. I also have their removable front euro grille and both look great.

http://www.c4dhr.com/c6_products.htm

The plate bracket cost me $99.00. Cheap considering the cost of a no License plate ticket.

Leon
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Top Flite plate bracket for GS and am quite happy with it. Yes, it was outrageously priced, but it works. I was just talking to Gecko2345 and he has reasonably (no tax) priced front plates for sale.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts

I went with the WCC version, the price of the removable bracket is less than a ticket for no plates. Now that we have license plate readers for toll roads around here I think this may become more of an issue. The plate is very easy to remove for track days once the main bracket is installed.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

After 18 months, I'm very satisfied with the Topflite mount.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQJNKY
Another "Not in this lifetime" guy here. Are you kidding me, $149 up to $175 for a front license plate bracket?! I fabricated my own removeable LPB and had it powder coated the same color as my car.
To the fabricators & true hobbyist!!!

Beside I can not be happy with something this simple, paid high price, compare to a design I can come up that is unique, simple to install and remove in seconds and I can fabricate my own for personal satisfaction.

Mine is different, center mounted(see, you can do whatever you like - unique), it has a base (consisted of thin strip 1/32" thick 304 stainless, two 1/4" x 20 studs tig welded on) permanently mounted with 3M tape on bottom center, top portion of fascia, basically out of sight; standalone license plate mount is fabricated with exact dimensionally fitted 1/16" thick T6 aluminum with two mating holes, w/90* bend, then painted with POR15 Silver, to fit onto the base plate on fascia. To mount license plate to car, two stainless wing nut is used. To remove, take off the two wing nuts and put license plate w/bracket in a safe place. Viola!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I too am working on my own design (Z06), if it works I will post up the plans.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I too am working on my own design (Z06), if it works I will post up the plans.
Right on!

Lots of ways to skin a cat, why settle for something that gives you the feeling that you are getting raped!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW i bought the top flight and it never fit right because they sent me one for a base and i have a Z06. i had to modify the bracket to fit on my car.
since they install their plate mount with 2 sided 3m sticky foam i decided to use an industrial strength velcrow. put the fuzzy on the plate bracket and the scratchy on the underside of the bumper.
i can install it in seconds!
i keep the plate in the rear cubby so if i get pulled over, my plan is to
:
play stupid
then retrieve and install the plate
then take a picture of the plate on my car with the cop standing next to the car.
if he wants to write me a ticket the picture that i had a front plated vehicle at the scene with the cop who wrote the ticket will be priceless in court.
then when i get home remove the plate.
so far 2.5 years and 35,000 miles later not a single ticket. been pulled over about 6 times (usually for speeding and not a single conviction yet i might add) never once questioned about the lack of the front plate.
in colorado springs there are a lot of military folk from all states and it's common to not have a front plate so i don't thinks cops look for them often.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have mine hanging up on my garage wall, have not put it on the front of the car yet....so far no issues.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

How do you guys running around with no plate in a state that requires them get through inspections? I just registered my Vette and have 10 days for inspection so I'm trying to find the most effective way to answer the plate question and I can't bring myself to put a plate on the front.

Right now I'm thinking of just using velcro and putting it on the passenger side visor.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Quick Release Front License Plate Bracket