C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use for sound insulation???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:50 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What to use for sound insulation???

Just as the title says. I have LG Super Pro 1 3/4" headers, hi-flow cats, and the Corsa Xtreme. I did a little searching but didn't come up with the normal tons of info on this subject. What have you found to be the most effictive to quiet down the exhaust note. It's not too bad for me but the fiance thinks its too loud sometimes. She has only driven it once in the past 2 weeks. I personally think she drives the SL550 too much and is used to the super quiet ride. I want to get some kind of insulation. Price is really not an issue. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I got the Madvette Motorsports insulation kit. Got it mostly for heat reduction, but have been will pleased with the reduction in noise also. The kit covers the entire interior, including the doors and the halo. You will need to take all the carpet and seats out, as well as taking the door panels off, to install it; but it comes all pre cut to fit with plenty of extra material. Everything you need is in the kit including great detailed instructions (lots of photos) on disassembling the inteior. I highly recommend this kit.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cotton ***** in the ears. This is the easiest and most cost efficient mod you can do to reduce noise.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
Just as the title says. I have LG Super Pro 1 3/4" headers, hi-flow cats, and the Corsa Xtreme. I did a little searching but didn't come up with the normal tons of info on this subject. What have you found to be the most effictive to quiet down the exhaust note. It's not too bad for me but the fiance thinks its too loud sometimes. She has only driven it once in the past 2 weeks. I personally think she drives the SL550 too much and is used to the super quiet ride. I want to get some kind of insulation. Price is really not an issue. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
a set of these for your fiancee, free with a McLaren F1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkfvQvc9ipI
Old 03-16-2011, 08:36 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Florida2000
a set of these for your fiancee, free with a McLaren F1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkfvQvc9ipI
LOL. Don't think she would go for that. I like it when she drives the Vette every now and then so I get to drive the SL550.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Just noticed that you apparently spend some time in the Guntersville area, not far from me here in Huntsville. Dave Hale (Madvette Motor Sports here on the froum) is within about a 90 minute drive from the Northern AL area (His shop is in Murfreesboro, TN). I made an appointment to drive up and he personally installed my kit. You may want to give him a call and check it out. Dave also installed my Kenwood Audio/Nav system and Sirius satellite tuner. He does great work! You can reach him on his cell at: (615) 638-7645 if you're interested. Or check out his website: www.madvettemotorsports.com) It really quieted my car down (actually too much, since I have the stock exhaust). Guess now I'll have to do something about that.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
coryvte
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Cotton ***** in the ears. This is the easiest and most cost efficient mod you can do to reduce noise.

Nah, just turn up the radio. She won't hear the corsas and you won't hear her.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Seriously, pay a visit to your local high end car audio shop and tell them what you are tying to do. They should be experts in sound deadening. There are numerous products on the market that can make your car quite as a Lexus. Some of these are used for floor pans and other products for vertical panels. That being said what you will find is that the interior will need to be stripped out so you can get to all of the areas that need to be covered. There are instructions here on the Forum on exactly how everything comes apart. You will spend a weekend and around $400 or so to do everything. Going this route is the ultimate fix. There are other less expensive ways to go but in the end it is up to you to what degree or level you want to achieve.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteright
I got the Madvette Motorsports insulation kit. Got it mostly for heat reduction, but have been will pleased with the reduction in noise also. The kit covers the entire interior, including the doors and the halo. You will need to take all the carpet and seats out, as well as taking the door panels off, to install it; but it comes all pre cut to fit with plenty of extra material. Everything you need is in the kit including great detailed instructions (lots of photos) on disassembling the inteior. I highly recommend this kit.
Originally Posted by vetteright
Just noticed that you apparently spend some time in the Guntersville area, not far from me here in Huntsville. Dave Hale (Madvette Motor Sports here on the froum) is within about a 90 minute drive from the Northern AL area (His shop is in Murfreesboro, TN). I made an appointment to drive up and he personally installed my kit. You may want to give him a call and check it out. Dave also installed my Kenwood Audio/Nav system and Sirius satellite tuner. He does great work! You can reach him on his cell at: (615) 638-7645 if you're interested. Or check out his website: www.madvettemotorsports.com) It really quieted my car down (actually too much, since I have the stock exhaust). Guess now I'll have to do something about that.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My ex-girlfriend hated my Borla exhaust. She said it was too loud.

Note that I said "EX"-girlfriend and that I still have my Borlas.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Marc V.
My ex-girlfriend hated my Borla exhaust. She said it was too loud.

Note that I said "EX"-girlfriend and that I still have my Borlas.
LOL. She hasn't really complained about it but I can just tell its louder than she likes. That means she isn't going to drive it and I can't drive her car. I guess I'm really the one that's doing the complaining.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ation-kit.html
Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 PM
DC321
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get RAAM Audio stuff from Rick. It is great stuff and as inexpensive as can be for the quality.
Forum sponsor.

I have tried the stuff listed in the above post in my last C6, and it did not do much. I would not do that again. But Dan is a great guy.

Last edited by DC321; 03-16-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Me, I use NPP. Works like a charm.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 185 Posts

I agree that the NPP (dual mode exhaust) is the way to go. I went from Magnaflow back to stock because I couldn't stand the constant noise on long trips. B&B has a dual mode system that would allow you to just change the mufflers instead of having to go back to stock. That way you can have it quiet when you are entertaining, and have it loud when you're not.

As far as the insulation goes. I installed the foam heat insulation in my Z06 and it helped a little with the heat, but not much with the noise. Now that I have some experience, I'm installing Dynamat and Dynaliner in my C3.

John

Get notified of new replies

To What to use for sound insulation???

Quick Reply: What to use for sound insulation???