C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Underhood Pad with Corvette Logo

Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default C6 Underhood Pad with Corvette Logo

There have been various threads about custom C6 underhood pads with various airbrushed logos or themes.

I would just like to have your thoughts on the standard type Corvette 'flag style' logos that are more common.

Seems like there are about 3 approaches this:

1. Cheapest way to go is buy the Corvette logo decal. These can cost as low as $39 on Ebay to a high of about $80 if purchased from a Corvette specialty store (maybe better quality than the decals sold on Ebay?). Obviously, these would need to be applied to a new/ or nearly new underhood pad.

2. Then you have a brand new underhood pad with a factory applied Corvette logo. The P/N from GM is 17801773 and has an MSRP of $225, but can be bought for as low as $158 from various online GM parts stores.

3. Then the most expensive option that I found is to purchase an underhood pad with a custom colored embroidered Corvette logo. Cost is about $400 which includes a new underhood pad ... Or you can buy just the embroidered logo by itself and glue it on your own pad at a cost of about $280 (seems pricey to me)

That seems to be what is available. To me, I think just buying a complete underhood pad at the discount price of about $158 from GM might be the best way to go.

Anyone here have any ideas or input from previous experiences with these?

Ron,
Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 AM
0Andrew6@TheDoubleAA
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Houston Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14
I believe in the Beer Fairy

If you're near Houston or don't mind paying high shipping costs I can recommend an option to you that fairly inexpensive and looks great.

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
There have been various threads about custom C6 underhood pads with various airbrushed logos or themes.

I would just like to have your thoughts on the standard type Corvette 'flag style' logos that are more common.

Seems like there are about 3 approaches this:

1. Cheapest way to go is buy the Corvette logo decal. These can cost as low as $39 on Ebay to a high of about $80 if purchased from a Corvette specialty store (maybe better quality than the decals sold on Ebay?). Obviously, these would need to be applied to a new/ or nearly new underhood pad.

2. Then you have a brand new underhood pad with a factory applied Corvette logo. The P/N from GM is 17801773 and has an MSRP of $225, but can be bought for as low as $158 from various online GM parts stores.

3. Then the most expensive option that I found is to purchase an underhood pad with a custom colored embroidered Corvette logo. Cost is about $400 which includes a new underhood pad ... Or you can buy just the embroidered logo by itself and glue it on your own pad at a cost of about $280 (seems pricey to me)

That seems to be what is available. To me, I think just buying a complete underhood pad at the discount price of about $158 from GM might be the best way to go.

Anyone here have any ideas or input from previous experiences with these?

Ron,
Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To me, I think just buying a complete underhood pad at the discount price of about $158 from GM might be the best way to go.

Ron,
Ron,

Where can I get one of the GM ones for $158?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

$158 or $225. Who cares? I hate wasting money or throwing it away on anything....but all these posts over the "cheapest" way to go are driving me nuts. These cars ain't cheap and if $50 really alters your world or limits you your are really in the wrong world...a Corvette on a Yugo budget...just wrong.

(Exception--your 17, in high school and Grand Pa gave you his C4 or early C5 and your trying to make some mods to make it your own...then more power to you, pinch those pennies and build the coolest car you can)....
Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

ZO6LUST ... Bad day today?

calmtgguy ... http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=17801773
Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the GM GCA hood liner insulator (with the color C6 crossed flags like shown in the photo above). It came form PartsTaxi for $71.98 plus $76.36 shipping. (The shipping is ridiculous as the thing weighs about 3 lbs). But that is the actual shipping cost due to size, not weight. To that you will need to add the cost of a lamp kit unless you want a blank rectangular hole left looking at you after you install the insulator. The light kit runs $31.90 plus $10.12 shipping. So, for $190.36, you're fixed up with the Genuine Corvette Accessories color hood insulator. About a 5 minute install job, including the light kit.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 AM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

My wife did mine for about 10 bucks worth of paint from the craft store and a couple of hours.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-for-me.html
Old 03-19-2011, 05:32 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by slolane
My wife did mine for about 10 bucks worth of paint from the craft store and a couple of hours.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...er-for-me.html
Yup .. I saw that in that other thread. Fantastic work by your wife!

Ron,
Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I had one of the GM painted liners for a few years. It was nice and I was happy with it until I went with a custom airbrushed liner.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

ZO6LUST ... Bad day today?

calmtgguy ... http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=17801773
\
Thanks Ron!
Old 03-19-2011, 04:31 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
\
Thanks Ron!
$332.50, are you kidding me?!! For just the insulator and shipping? Guess I really got a deal at $190.00 for the insulator and the lamp kit, shipped. Now I'm just gonna sit around being happy all day.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:42 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

You may want to try a DIY paint job. The instuction I beleive are in the FAQ section. The photos are long gone but the text should still be there. If it goes wrong your only out a few bucks and some time. If it goes right, you can sit back and enjoy you handy work. If the liner is dirty I'm not sure how to clean it.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:05 AM
JB'sVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZO6 Lust

Just maybe most people don't have the money you seem to have / maybe they're more responsible with their money; in any event your post is uncalled for! The Vette owner was just asking for advice, not to be critcized by an idiot!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:30 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteright
I have the GM GCA hood liner insulator (with the color C6 crossed flags like shown in the photo above). It came form PartsTaxi for $71.98 plus $76.36 shipping. (The shipping is ridiculous as the thing weighs about 3 lbs). But that is the actual shipping cost due to size, not weight. To that you will need to add the cost of a lamp kit unless you want a blank rectangular hole left looking at you after you install the insulator. The light kit runs $31.90 plus $10.12 shipping. So, for $190.36, you're fixed up with the Genuine Corvette Accessories color hood insulator. About a 5 minute install job, including the light kit.
I had one ordered until the vendor e-mailed the shipping cost! I do not consider myself cheap but almost 80 bucks for 3lbs? It's also not that large and no freaken way I was paying 80 bucks just for shipping!

I'm going to try the DIY approach.....
Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
$158 or $225. Who cares? I hate wasting money or throwing it away on anything....but all these posts over the "cheapest" way to go are driving me nuts. These cars ain't cheap and if $50 really alters your world or limits you your are really in the wrong world...a Corvette on a Yugo budget...just wrong.

(Exception--your 17, in high school and Grand Pa gave you his C4 or early C5 and your trying to make some mods to make it your own...then more power to you, pinch those pennies and build the coolest car you can)....
Couldn't agree more. That's why I have said on several occasions that Corvette owners are by far the CHEAPEST demographic of any large car following. People on here bash on ricers but they will at least spend money and not complain about it. LOL
Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM
retaf87
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - GMPARTSDIRECT shows the shipping cost of the hood liner to be $176.00!!
Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by retaf87
FYI - GMPARTSDIRECT shows the shipping cost of the hood liner to be $176.00!!
Some dealers won't even order them, much less ship them. I've read that 75% of hood liners arrive damaged because they are so easy to bend at the corners.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Underhood Pad with Corvette Logo

Old 03-20-2011, 03:43 PM
SilvrVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilvrVette
I was tinkering around and thought I'd make a C6 logo in Visio that could be scaled for whatever purpose you might like (hood liner, trunk liner ...wall art, beer mug, needle point ...) because it's an editable file - you can change colors or edit as you see fit. Only catch - requires Microsoft Visio

Anyway here's some screen shots. Anyone interested send me a PM and I'll send you the file.

Blue-Line Outline

Blue Lined and No Line Full Color

Full Scale (Sized 30" Wide - Hoodliner)

My original idea was to take the file to Kinkos and have them print it in color, in vinyl, on a large format printer. Other applications abound as the drawing will accurately scale from inches to multiple feet. Just my way of giving back.

ps - I don't think this has any copyright impact - if it does - someone please let me know. I like y'all - but I ain't getting crossways with any corporate lawyers for you.
Posted this elsewhere on this forum
Old 03-23-2011, 02:31 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteright

Not!!!

form PartsTaxi for $196.88 plus $76.36 shipping. (The shipping is ridiculous as the thing weighs about 3 lbs). But that is the actual shipping cost due to size, not weight. To that you will need to add the cost of a lamp kit unless you want a blank rectangular hole left looking at you after you install the insulator. The light kit runs $35 plus $10.12 shipping. So, for $318.36, you're fixed up with the Genuine Corvette Accessories color hood insulator. About a 5 minute install job, including the light kit.

Buy it from your local dealership, even at list price ($225) it's a much better deal!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
Well now let's see. $225.00 - $158.00 = $67.00. Now if you **** away that much per day at the end of one year you will have pissed away $24,455.00. Hmmm, I guess I'm in the wrong world too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Underhood Pad with Corvette Logo