C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Gen 2 Goodyear tires are GARBAGE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
NHNASCAR24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gen 2 Goodyear tires are GARBAGE!

When I ordered my new 2011 Grand Sport with the F55 and A Stick shift I was excited about
getting the new Gen 2 Goodyear tire. I had "heard" that it was supposed to be significantly
better than the Gen 1 tire. Well I was SORELY disappointed to say the least. From day one the tires
have slid all over the place. After just 4,800 miles I gave up and replaced them with a set of
General Exclaim UHP tires. I already LOVE these tires. WAY more grip and WAY better handling.
I will never buy Goodyear tires again.

I called and complained to GM about the tires and they (the GM Customer service person I talked to) said
they have had ZERO complaints about this new tire. Well maybe it is time for all of the forum people to start
calling GM and complaining about these tires. The phone number is 1-800-222-1020. (GM Customer service).

I also sent them an e-mail voicing the same complaints. This is the e-mail:

"The Gen 2 Goodyear tires that come on all Corvette Grand Sport models with a manual Transmission
and the F55 option (and on all Z06s) are GARBAGE! They have absolutely NO gripping power at all.
The ONLY place these MIGHT work is on a professional race course at 80 degrees. On regular streets and
at anything below 70 degrees these tires slide all over. I have been driving Corvettes since 2004 and
these are the WORST tires I have ever owned. I have already replaced them with only 4,800 miles on them
with my OWN money because my dealer said it is not their problem. I agree. This is GMs problem. GM
cut the contract with Goodyear so GM or Goodyear should be responsible for putting SAFE tires
on the Corvettes in question. The Corvette is a FANTASTIC vehicle but with these tires it drives horribly.
Do the RIGHT thing GM. FIX the tire issue before someone gets hurt or killed trying to drive on these tires."

I LOVE my Grand Sport and Love Corvettes
but boy do Tires make a BIG difference!

Ron

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

You're the 2nd person a week or two who said they suck.Well,MICHELIN is the way to go for rf's in your size or anything else if you don't want rf's.Thanks for the write up.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

whychoo send it to Goodyear? they make the tires.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 AM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over at the Tire Rack the reviewer's overall rating for the GY F1 Supercar Gen 2 tires is 8.63.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...irePageLocQty=
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I had to make a choice - GY Gen2 or Michelin PS2 ZP - Looks like I made the right decision
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So did the OP ever test drive a similar car with those tires? That would have been the time to work with the dealer to get different tires.

I fail to see how this is an issue for GM to replace them unless there is a specific flaw.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Seems like the GY tires need some heat. Ive noticed that if I dont do a warm up run when hitting a mountain pass or twisty road, the car will get out of shape pretty easy. Actually had it happen a bit yesterday, wasnt driving hard just fun, but crested a hill mid corner and the rear stepped out a bit.

Once they are warm they stick really well, actually its pretty tough to get the car loose on the street without getting really reckless.

BTW, one way to generate heat pretty quick before hitting some corners is to brake hard a few times, like from 80 to 20 3 times in succession. It wont hurt if you accelerate hard either, lol. Dont do that if anyone else is near you though.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
So did the OP ever test drive a similar car with those tires? That would have been the time to work with the dealer to get different tires.

I fail to see how this is an issue for GM to replace them unless there is a specific flaw.
I think what the OP is saying is that GM needs to fix the problem that GM has with selecting a tire to be factory installed on the Corvette, that is sub par. GM was responsible for selecting the GEN2 tire, and they should re-evaluate their choice in tires and select another tire as OE.

Michelin makes a great tire, as does Bridgestone. The question is...why did GM decide to fit a new version of a poor tire to put on the Z06 and select Grand Sports that, in some people's opinion, is worse then the tire it replaced.?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I think what the OP is saying is that GM needs to fix the problem that GM has with selecting a tire to be factory installed on the Corvette, that is sub par. GM was responsible for selecting the GEN2 tire, and they should re-evaluate their choice in tires and select another tire as OE.
Yeah, I get that..I'm just curious if the OP test drove a similar car with these tires. Test drives are done to figure these things out. I suggest that the OP just sell the tires if he hasn't already...or maybe save them for the track where they can get good and hot.

People have bitched about the 1st Gen GY Corvette tires since the C6 came out and yet, they seem to drive them very hard and long. Mine on my '05 are still going strong and I don't slide all over the place unless I really get into it. It's hard to believe these new ones are actually worse.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

So, the Gen 2 tires are worse than the Gen 1 tire? Thats progress? And, I agree GM should be ashamed of themselves putting a crappy, summer tire with awful tread wear on a Car that should be able to be driven four seasons a year.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
XmentalPilot
Drifting

Location: "Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I hate reading posts speculating about C7... But based on the overwelming dislike for the GY EMT's, Chevrolet should cut the cord with GY and make Michelin PS2 the official tire for the full line up of Corvette beginning C7, not just the ZR1.
I will be replacing my Gen2 GY's later this spring. I am sure they'll have <2500 miles on them.

Last edited by XmentalPilot; 04-05-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question is...why did GM decide to fit a new version of a poor tire to put on the Z06 and select Grand Sports that, in some people's opinion, is worse then the tire it replaced.?
Money my friend. Always follow the $$$$$$$$. GY probably gave them a better deal than Michelin or other Manufacturers.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Yeah, I get that..I'm just curious if the OP test drove a similar car with these tires. Test drives are done to figure these things out. I suggest that the OP just sell the tires if he hasn't already...or maybe save them for the track where they can get good and hot.

People have bitched about the 1st Gen GY Corvette tires since the C6 came out and yet, they seem to drive them very hard and long. Mine on my '05 are still going strong and I don't slide all over the place unless I really get into it. It's hard to believe these new ones are actually worse.
The GEN2 tires are replacement tires for the old GEN1 tires that were only installed on the 2006-2010 Z06's, not the base C6's. If you have a 2005, then your car didn't come with the GEN1 285/35-18 and 325/30-19 tires that were only fitted to the Z06. You can't compare the tires on a base C6 to those on a Z06. Two different animals.

I get what you are saying about test drives, but finding a car that had the GEN2 tires, to test drive was very difficult. When GM announced they were going with the new tire, I asked for six months is anyone had purchased a car with then installed(as I knew I would be replacing the GEN1 tires on my Z06 shortly). I got zero replies. There were no Z06's on dealers lots and very few GS's made with the new tire installed. I remember the Ranger was the first to try the GEN2 tire and he was very unhappy with the GEN2 tire's dry straight line traction.

My local dealer is #5 in Corvette sales. I don't think he has had a 2011 Z06 in stock with the GEN2 tires. The only Z06's that he has had on his lot were Z07's with the Michelin PS2 tires(19/20). The odds of finding a car with the GEN2 tires sitting on a dealer's lot to test drive is nearly zero. Even then, to find a second car on that dealer's lot with GEN1 tires, to evaluate, side by side, with the GEN1 would be below zero.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Sorry to hear that. I can't complain since I don't have them but if GM is reading the forum, HOW ABOUT A TIRE OPTION. There can't be that many that fit the car. Time to DUMP GY.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
summer tire with awful tread wear on a Car that should be able to be driven four seasons a year.
The Grand Sport in question, Z06, ZR1, and former Z51 are all equipped with summer tires. If someone intends to drive them four seasons, a second set of tires would be the right choice. When Chevy offers a car with sporting intent, they shouldn't compromise it's performance with a 4 season tire, IMHO. Yes, the GYs on my Z06 are not very happy when the temp drops, but that's not why I bought my car.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by designerRob
Money my friend. Always follow the $$$$$$$$. GY probably gave them a better deal than Michelin or other Manufacturers.
I agree, but I think it goes deeper then that. I just installed a set of Bridgestone RE050A runflats on my Z06. The tires, including mount and balance, was $1450. Then sales tax was added to that price.

Try and find a set of Goodyear tires(GEN! or GEN2) for your Z06 for that price. Nearly everyone on this forum that has gone with the Stones say they out perform the OE Goodyears in every category. Yet they cost less.

If my local tire dealer can sell me a set of Stones cheaper then a set of GY's, why can't Bridgestone quote a lower price to GM them Goodyear? Unless GM is selling below cost for the PR of having their tires as OE on the Corvette. But then you have to ask, why did GM select Michelin tires for the ZR1 if GM is cheaper? Must have have something to do with the tires themselves, and not just the price.

Last edited by JoesC5; 04-05-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NHNASCAR24
When I ordered my new 2011 Grand Sport with the F55 and A Stick shift I was excited about
getting the new Gen 2 Goodyear tire. I had "heard" that it was supposed to be significantly
better than the Gen 1 tire. Well I was SORELY disappointed to say the least. From day one the tires
have slid all over the place. After just 4,800 miles I gave up and replaced them with a set of
General Exclaim UHP tires. I already LOVE these tires. WAY more grip and WAY better handling.
I will never buy Goodyear tires again.

I called and complained to GM about the tires and they (the GM Customer service person I talked to) said
they have had ZERO complaints about this new tire. Well maybe it is time for all of the forum people to start
calling GM and complaining about these tires. The phone number is 1-800-222-1020. (GM Customer service).

I also sent them an e-mail voicing the same complaints. This is the e-mail:

"The Gen 2 Goodyear tires that come on all Corvette Grand Sport models with a manual Transmission
and the F55 option (and on all Z06s) are GARBAGE! They have absolutely NO gripping power at all.
The ONLY place these MIGHT work is on a professional race course at 80 degrees. On regular streets and
at anything below 70 degrees these tires slide all over. I have been driving Corvettes since 2004 and
these are the WORST tires I have ever owned. I have already replaced them with only 4,800 miles on them
with my OWN money because my dealer said it is not their problem. I agree. This is GMs problem. GM
cut the contract with Goodyear so GM or Goodyear should be responsible for putting SAFE tires
on the Corvettes in question. The Corvette is a FANTASTIC vehicle but with these tires it drives horribly.
Do the RIGHT thing GM. FIX the tire issue before someone gets hurt or killed trying to drive on these tires."

I LOVE my Grand Sport and Love Corvettes
but boy do Tires make a BIG difference!

Ron

Tire Rack doesn't show a General UHP tire in 325/30/19 . What size did you use on the back?

Get notified of new replies

To New Gen 2 Goodyear tires are GARBAGE!

Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mforman42
The Grand Sport in question, Z06, ZR1, and former Z51 are all equipped with summer tires. If someone intends to drive them four seasons, a second set of tires would be the right choice. When Chevy offers a car with sporting intent, they shouldn't compromise it's performance with a 4 season tire, IMHO. Yes, the GYs on my Z06 are not very happy when the temp drops, but that's not why I bought my car.

Just my opinion.

Agreed that GY Supercars, Michelin PS2, Bridgestone RE050A are all summer tires, but some do perform better in the cold then others. Not only do the Michelins and the Bridgestones drive better in the cold then the Goodyears, the Michelins and the Bridgestones have a higher threadwear rating, and better wet traction, and better dry traction then the Goodyears.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the GEN2's in use for about a month in Florida, and have been impressed with them, except for one day it got in the 40's. They spun easily, similar to the GEN1's that I had on my previous C6 (2008 model year, Z51 package). Once warmed up, they stuck like glue.

They have held well on warm wet roads too. I've punched it hard at redlights on wet roads, and they are hard to break loose in 2nd gear. Again, with warmer roads.

Having said all of that, I'll still tire shop when it comes time to buy a replacement set.

I personally hope they come out with an all season tire that will fit the Z06/Grand Sport rims by the time I need a replacement set. I really liked the Michelin ZP A/S tires on the 2008 C6. I lost some in performance, but gained a very stable consistant tire for rainy/dry/hot/cold driving. Very little change in performance, so when you got used to busting into a curve, it handled the same every day.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

If my local tire dealer can sell me a set of Stones cheaper then a set of GY's, why can't Bridgestone quote a lower price to GM them Goodyear?
Goodyear probably sells them to GM for below cost, hoping to make up the money by charging much higher prices at retail, knowing most drivers just buy the OEM tires.

Quick Reply: New Gen 2 Goodyear tires are GARBAGE!