C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged LS3, or LS7... Driven both? Step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Please allow me to add a point of clarification: Callaway warranties the PowerTrain - not just the components or engine. We are peerless in the industry for power, reliability, drivability, and our ability to stand behind our products and packages.

More @ www.callawaycars.com
Callaway does have a very good warranty program. 3yrs/36k miles that you can extend to 5yrs/100,000 miles for less than 3K. That's a huge selling point for them.

http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway...ceContract.htm

You are apparently even eligible for the extended service contract even if your Callaway car is not brand new.

For $500.00, they'll inspect it to determine if it has any pre existing problems. If it doesn't, then you can purchase the extended 5yr/100,000 mile service contract for it.

That said, I read the warranty brochure, linked to above and was unclear on some of the components not elibgible, as I see the engine block being excluded, as well as the transmission and differential cases, which seemed a bit odd.

Aren't these components typically covered in the GM 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty? For example if you end up with a hole in your engine block, or a cracked transmission or differential case, the 5yr/100,000 mile GM powertrain warranty covers it?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading up on these and still having one issue. I have a stock 08 Z51 with the NPP and can't keep the tires under it. As I understand it the zr1 has a couple inches of extra rubber to help. Without changing tires, which require new wheels which will stick out and look horrible, adding that extra power just seems like an additional rubber issue. Short of going wide body and rubber/wheels which really change the price point, do you really get the use of the extra hp? What am I missing.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
I've been reading up on these and still having one issue. I have a stock 08 Z51 with the NPP and can't keep the tires under it. As I understand it the zr1 has a couple inches of extra rubber to help. Without changing tires, which require new wheels which will stick out and look horrible, adding that extra power just seems like an additional rubber issue. Short of going wide body and rubber/wheels which really change the price point, do you really get the use of the extra hp? What am I missing.
You are not missing anything, and bring up a very valid point that a lot of people miss when they want to go crazy with BIG HP. No use having all that power if you can't at least get somewhat decent traction. I've seen 400RWHP cars beat 700RWHP cars... 700RWHP guy forgot its not easy to hook that much power to the ground.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by RedLs3
iceman im not knocking you or your car like i said i love the z06 and you have a really nice one. money is no object for me but i am making a logical explanation here.

zr1 equals 100k with forum discount. you could get a grandsport for lets say 50k. throw in a ecs supercharger, blower cam, and meth kit and your at 60k. now spend 10k in brakes and suspension which is even too much and your at 70k. at this price you have a car that will obliterate a z06 or zr1 on the track or the street/ strip and still put 30k in your pocket. and still cheaper then a z06.

Id rather have more for my money... and in the case i stated above you GET ALOT MORE

I dont really track my Z06 that much, but I was at a track last week and supercharged cars were getting hot really quick and had to cool off on the side lines. Granted it was hot in the area. Stock (Zr1s, GSes, and Z06s) cars were driving around almost non stop. Seems if you want to supercharge, and do it right, some cooling upgrades need to be done as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:33 PM
BiGDaWgZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
Short of going wide body and rubber/wheels which really change the price point, do you really get the use of the extra hp? What am I missing.

There are some pretty drastic differences in the way that some tires PERFORM when compared to others (especially when compared to the factory tires on many cars)

You could also go with street legal drag radials too...if you've built something that is pretty extreme.

Getting a 800-900hp car to totally hook up is very hard to do....but there are other ways that you can improve traction....suspension wise too.

I think that the combination of the proper suspension components...matched with the proper tires...can make a HUGE difference when it comes to traction and handling...on any powerful street car.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by svoshop
I don't have all of them together. But I will post a few pics thursday. I'm not at the pc right now, and pics are not on my blackberry.

Mike.
Dude, sounds like its time to sell all the vettes and get a ferrari 458italia. Nobody will fault you for that. Superior build quality, faster and the interior is like a penthouse suite compared to the vette. Or sell all the vettes and get a C7 if it doesnt turn out to be a lame duck. But I would chill on the C6's. It doesnt matter what model you get, they are all still C6's.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by FIVEPOINTSEVEN
That's not a Callaway...It has similar parts, but still not built and tuned by Callaway. That's also the guy's first time out, we don't know the DA, track prep or really anything else. So it's the same as trying to compare dyno numbers. In the real world I say the SC606 is faster than a bone stock Z06. Stock Z06 times range across the spectrum from 12.0 to high 10's. I've personally seen them trap 122-124 at Orlando speed world. Hardly a SC606 beating trap speed.
A friend has a 2010 callaway gs and has run a best of 10.9 at 129mph here in Portland OR. Not sure if a stock Z06 will trap that high.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:53 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556
A friend has a 2010 callaway gs and has run a best of 10.9 at 129mph here in Portland OR. Not sure if a stock Z06 will trap that high.
In sea level, high dense air, a Z06 will, and has trapped that high, some 130mph. Check out the fast list.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BiGDaWgZ
There are some pretty drastic differences in the way that some tires PERFORM when compared to others (especially when compared to the factory tires on many cars)

You could also go with street legal drag radials too...if you've built something that is pretty extreme.

Getting a 800-900hp car to totally hook up is very hard to do....but there are other ways that you can improve traction....suspension wise too.

I think that the combination of the proper suspension components...matched with the proper tires...can make a HUGE difference when it comes to traction and handling...on any powerful street car.
Please don't retrieve old threads.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: Supercharged LS3, or LS7... Driven both? Step inside.