C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys werent kidding !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats for not losing it anywhere!! Be careful out there!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

There is nothing wrong with gunning it coming out of a curve....In fact that is one of the things that separates te Vette from mommies car...and you're missing out on the fun...

Just make sure you have a little practice..especially if you turn the nannies off, otherwise some of the fun is taken from you. Either way enjoy it....just respect the power.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Remember, traction control is your friend.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Congrats on the new ride.

My $.02.

OnStar instead of LoJack.

DSV padded leather center console lid.

The challenge with remote start for a C6 is the car has to be fooled into thinking a fob is present inside the car while the car remains locked. It can be done, but not easily.

Work up to using all that horsepower gradually and as others have advised, get it pointed straight before firewallin' the pedal.

Probably won't hurt you to read the Owners Manual a few times either.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:18 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey all that power is great isn't it! I soon learned how the rear can get twitchy or start to come around on some surfaces without traction control. I personally do not want to rest my elbows on the console and I have walked away from cars where that was the configuration. I feel that a console that high restricts my arm movement while driving. No one would install a remote start on a manual transmission when I went looking several years ago on another car. I wanted to be able to start a car remotely to cool it down in the Florida summers.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Congrats on the new ride.

My $.02.

OnStar instead of LoJack.

DSV padded leather center console lid.

The challenge with remote start for a C6 is the car has to be fooled into thinking a fob is present inside the car while the car remains locked. It can be done, but not easily.

Work up to using all that horsepower gradually and as others have advised, get it pointed straight before firewallin' the pedal.

Probably won't hurt you to read the Owners Manual a few times either.
They have owners Manuals for these? Just kidding....Read it a few times. I love mine!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Congrats on the vette.

Be careful; take your time getting to know it, and its potential.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 AM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Dei makes an alarm that does auto start on a stick. Its totally safe, check it out you can autostart with your smart phone.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:22 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

C6s' rock! Enjoy!
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJK
Welcome to the Forum and the enjoyment of owning a Vette.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:40 AM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
There is nothing wrong with gunning it coming out of a curve....In fact that is one of the things that separates te Vette from mommies car...and you're missing out on the fun...

Just make sure you have a little practice..especially if you turn the nannies off, otherwise some of the fun is taken from you. Either way enjoy it....just respect the power.
I think the nannies saved my butt that day, or at least straightened it out. It was a lesson learned for sure. I appreciate all the feedback and it seems that what I figured is reflected here, make sure the rear end is hooked up before rolling on the throttle to be safe in any driving condition. Night and day vs. all wheel drive and less hp.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:39 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

First time I floored my Vette was on a two lane road passing two 18 wheelers. Like most cars you stomp on the gas pedal to get out of the left lane quick. I was doing about 50 to start and saw the HUD showing 110ish. I was still next to the first truck. Since I saw my license disappearing quickly if there was a cop around I start hitting the brakes as I was still passing the first truck.

I almost felt bad the first few times I filled up the Vette with gas. I was having too much fun in a car that gets high 20s MPG.

Electronic nannies will do their best to save your butt and your tires but they cannot prevent true stupidity. Be careful, watch traction on cold pavement.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Congrats!!! I don't have a problem with the center console,but when someone comes out with a padded one with the GS logo,I will get one.What does suck is the steering wheel,I don't even think it's leather,also the archaic cruise control sucks big time,no cancel mode when coming up on cars so you can resume after your pass,instead you have to tap your brakes and look like a dumb ***,I just shut it off then turn back on and reset after the pass instead of tapping the brake.Other than that it's the greatest car I ever owned.

Even my 97' Jeep has a cancel button.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine driving a zo6 or zr1.....pure ecstacy......better than sex....well, maybe not that far off....lol
Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 AM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Congrats!!! Best bang for the buck, hands down
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought an 08 Vette in Indiana this week, too. I didn't have as far to get it home, though.

Congrats!

Get notified of new replies

To You guys werent kidding !!!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Congrats for not losing it anywhere!! Be careful out there!
picture
Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by TRUOMEGA
Was your first time driving the car as intense/surprising as mine? I just picked up my 08 ls3 Vette yesterday and drove it home from Indiana to NY. Was 6 hours into the ride and kinda got bored on this long stretch of highway with no one around. I decided to shift into 3rd gear at 3000 rpm and gun the pedal. HOLY F%$K!!! I thought i was gonna take off into space and end up on Pluto! You guys say grins and smiles but i was literally laughing at the amount of power this car puts out. Most HP iv ever driven was 238. I didn't know what to expect and figured id surprise myself. Boy was i surprised. Its hard to believe that something like this is street legal. The amount of G's you feel is intense. The roar of the engines power and its quick response.
Hard to believe it gets the mileage that it does. I averaged 31.8 mpg. Ran through 5 states (Indiana-->Ohio-->Pennsylvania---> New Jersey--> New York) and used 1.5 tank of fuel. Amazing.
Things i notice with the car during my 12 hour drive is that the center armrest sucks. Its way to hard with no cushioning to the point i was trying to drive without my elbow resting on it. Gonna have to buy the aftermarket one from the vendor on this site.
Another thing that i found odd was that it kinda shimmy's/shakes at idle. I did some research and found that normal so i wont get into that.
Iv had it for only one day and got positive comments from strangers and even more so, people were staring everywhere i looked.
Im so paranoid that i drive it super slow around town. guess i still have to get used to it.
Now for some needed advice. I'm looking into an aftermarket alarm that has auto start but hard to find one for manual transmissions. Also lojack. Can you guys recommend any aftermarket alarm system?
Thanx again fellas for the warm welcome (on a previous post located here) and looking forward to reading future topics.

Congrats !! when you mention 2008 you don't have to add its an LS3 we know
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Congratulations...drive safe and enjoy!

Quick Reply: You guys werent kidding !!!!!