C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket Replacment???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Oil Pan Gasket Replacment???????

My oil pan gasket became leaky about a year ago and was mis-diagnosed as a leaky oil filter by one reputable shop.

I then went to another Shop (Reputable too) and they told me it was the gasket.

They did the first repair in November of 2010 and it stiopped leaking. I saw all the work on the work order and there was a new filter put in and new oil among other things.

Well it started leakign again 2 weeks ago... Took it back to dealer and we put it up on the lift and looked for the problem.

It was the gasket again. So they schedule me in and got me taken care of... But on this work order / invoice There is no oil or filter... Just Dye and Gasket.

To replace the gasket doesnt the oil pan have to come off? If thats the case why isnt oil on the invoice?

Long story for a simple question
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They forgot to bill it out.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:30 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ketchum
They forgot to bill it out.
So Im right about getting fresh oil?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

You got fresh oil.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

In theory, they could have drained the oil into a clean (you hope) container and then poured it back into your engine. But most likely, you got a free oil change. Hope they used the right stuff.

Pulling the dipstick and letting some oil drip (don't wipe) onto clean white paper, should tell how clean it is.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 289 Likes on 118 Posts

They should have given you an alignment also because they have to drop the cradle to get at the oil pan.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:58 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GSXR K6 1K
They should have given you an alignment also because they have to drop the cradle to get at the oil pan.
they said that nothing that they dropped was adjustable or effecting the allignment.

It drove fine afterwards...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure they actually changed the oil pan gasket? It's a huge job and you DO need to align the front end afterwards. As stated above, the cradle gets dropped to get the pan off. Your steering is attached to that.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

OP, was the second gasket installed by the same shop? Did they charge you for it?
Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
OP, was the second gasket installed by the same shop? Did they charge you for it?
2nd shop did both Oil Pan Gaskets. Car is still under warranty
Old 04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

If you need me to get our Customer Assistance Center's information to you please private message me and let me know. They can work as a liaison between you and the dealer.

Also, checking with the dealership to see if they did indeed do the oil change and we are not just assuming is never a bad thing. Pending when you had it done, they should remember working on a Corvette.

Let me know if you need me to get you in touch with our Customer Assistance Center, especially since you are still under warranty.

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
Are you sure they actually changed the oil pan gasket? It's a huge job and you DO need to align the front end afterwards. As stated above, the cradle gets dropped to get the pan off. Your steering is attached to that.
You can't remove the structure that holds the steering without aligning after it is all back together...if you are doing it right.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:59 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
If you need me to get our Customer Assistance Center's information to you please private message me and let me know. They can work as a liaison between you and the dealer.

Also, checking with the dealership to see if they did indeed do the oil change and we are not just assuming is never a bad thing. Pending when you had it done, they should remember working on a Corvette.

Let me know if you need me to get you in touch with our Customer Assistance Center, especially since you are still under warranty.

Brent
GM Customer Service
Brent- Thanks for the assistance on this. I really appreciate it.

I just spoke to the dealer. They told me they did have to adjust the toe back. and that it was taken care of.

So far these guys at this dealer have taken care of me so I trust them.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, just so I'm straight here. You already had the oil pan gasket replaced for the same front-of-the-pan leak most 2007's have (like mine) and it leaked again? I've been putting this off, since I'll be doing it myself, but if a new gasket isn't solving the problem then I might just keep cleaning it off a couple times a year.

For the record, when I worked at Chevy we didn't list items like the oil or toe adjustment for jobs that included those in the process. For instance, if I changed a power steering pump I wouldn't list that I changed the fluid. It's assumed since that's part of the process of pump replacement. If anything a bottle fluid might be listed on the invoice and sometimes it's just included in the price.

I can assure you nobody put the old oil back in. No tech in his/her right mind would do that.

Last edited by Road Rage; 04-18-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by beav626
Brent- Thanks for the assistance on this. I really appreciate it.

I just spoke to the dealer. They told me they did have to adjust the toe back. and that it was taken care of.

So far these guys at this dealer have taken care of me so I trust them.
You are very welcome. I am glad they are doing a great job. If you would like to throw a compliment through the system, let me know. I can do that.

Brent
GM Customer Service
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Third Time is a Charm?

Put my Shiny Chrome wheels on today and while she was in the air I saw oil on the floor again.

WTF. I will call the Dealer tomorrow
Old 04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
vette6500
Pro

oil pan gasket must have some design issue.
my car went in last monday with oil leaks and it was done thursday with oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket, and a bunch of seals to go along with them.
over the weekend, i saw new drops of the fresh oil that's in the engine, so it's back at the dealer this morning...
they are supposed to dye the oil to trace the leak, so hopefully the source of leak is found this time, if it wasn't the oil pan gasket or something about it doesn't seal well when replaced...

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pan Gasket Replacment???????

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 AM
TRUOMEGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you sure they replaced the gasket and not just over-torque the bolts creating a tighter seal? May very well have been a loose screw that wasn't torqued originally which may have caused it to leak as well. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TRUOMEGA
you sure they replaced the gasket and not just over-torque the bolts creating a tighter seal? May very well have been a loose screw that wasn't torqued originally which may have caused it to leak as well. Just a thought.
That was the case the first time. After the first replacment it leaked a little so they re tourqued the bolts and it stopped.

However the last time the gasket wason the repair order so I assume that was what was done.we will see what the dealer says this morning
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 AM
vette6500
Pro

seems like the oil pan gasket was not the cause of the fresh oil leaks. this time, dealer replaced "engine valley cover gasket".
picked up car on thursday and so far it's been dry.

while removing the intake manifold, they also broke the bwd brand oil pressure sender i put in, so they put in a replacement gm sender. that new sender is already bad after 2 days, since it's pegged at 80 (digital readout at 128psi) today!
dealer is too far away, so i may just buy another bwd at o'reilly and do it myself again...

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket Replacment???????