C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting in "D" or "S" -- a comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:14 AM
lamboguy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting in "D" or "S" -- a comparison.

Hi Folks,

I've been driving entirely in "D" (Drive) since I bought my 2009 C6. Now that I'm close to the 36k warranty I've been trying certain things out to make sure they work. Most recently, I've been trying the car out in Sport shifting mode. Couple of questions/comments...

Does the system "rev" the engine a bit to match engine speed to a downshift in the S mode? In D mode the transmission seems to downshift well after the fact (as brakes are applied and one is slowing down) so engine revs are kept low. But as I downshift in S mode there seems to be a bit of an artifical "revving" of the engine to bring it up to the proper matching RPM. Is this actually something built into the system? Or is there something wrong with my tranny in S mode? (I'm pretty sure it working fine, so just double-checking)

I notice this same "revving" or almost "double-clutching" feature in the E-Geared Lamborghinis, such as the Murcielago and Gallardo. They try to match a manual shift action/sound as the car decelerates.

Is this going on in the Vette as well? Fwiw, I find it annoying and would just like the car to shift without all the "fuss" in-between gears. Just a soft/quick "bang" for the downshifts -- not a "rev up" or even (in the case of the Lambos) the racey "double-clutch." I don't want to show off for all the girls, I just want the frickin' thing to downshift.

Hope I'm making myself clear on this one. I mainly want to verify that the car does rev the motor a bit on downshift in S mode. (which is what it's doing)

Thanks!

Fred
Old 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

The '08+ A6's rev match on downshifting when using the paddles. My '08 doesn't rev match when just driving around in "S" mode, not using the paddles.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
The '08+ A6's rev match on downshifting when using the paddles. My '08 doesn't rev match when just driving around in "S" mode, not using the paddles.
Well I'll be -- I've never tried driving around in "S" mode without using the paddles!

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Fred

PS: I have so far approached this car as basically a family sedan where I just drive it around to pick up groceries. ie: I'm just starting to learn what it can do.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Just know that there is no difference in D and S modes. Driving in S mode just means you have the paddle function available if you want/need it.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Just know that there is no difference in D and S modes. Driving in S mode just means you have the paddle function available if you want/need it.
And...that when you use the paddle function, the system works differently, right? With the different "rpm-matching" feature for down-shifts...right?

I just want to make sure that's not something I need the dealer to look at.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 04-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Kwagnerhvac
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

That is not true according to the owners manual. The manual states that "While in S (Sport Mode), the transmission will have more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance". Once you touch the paddle shifters in the "s" mode, that turns it into a paddle function mode.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by lamboguy
And...that when you use the paddle function, the system works differently, right? With the different "rpm-matching" feature for down-shifts...right?

I just want to make sure that's not something I need the dealer to look at.

Thanks,

Fred
YES! When downshifting with the paddles it WILL REV MATCH. That is intentional and built into the system. In the auto Vette world it is considered one of the "cooler" features of the A6.

And yes the S mode without touching the paddles does shift differently--higher rpms....thus a bit more perforamnce but at the cost of mpg.

There is also a wee bit of lag on upshifts with the paddles...but you can learn to anticipate it and shfit accordingly. You can also have it "tuned" for a more instant paddle response at the price of your warranty (which may not be an issue for you).

In either D or S the car will start off in 2nd gear (again mpg). If you use the paddles you can stop, downshift to first and then start in 1st if you so desire for a bit more pick up....
Old 04-30-2011, 03:12 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Ok, that's what I need to explore. (I mean, besides the owner's manual -- hehe)

So there are 3 ways to shift this car:
1 - Leave it in D
2 - Leave it in S
3 - Leave it in S and used the paddles

# 2 was the one I was unaware of, my bad

I'm going to play around with that one today. With 34,700 miles on the car I want to make sure everything's working properly.

Thanks so much!

Fred
Old 04-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
YES! When downshifting with the paddles it WILL REV MATCH. That is intentional and built into the system. In the auto Vette world it is considered one of the "cooler" features of the A6.

And yes the S mode without touching the paddles does shift differently--higher rpms....thus a bit more perforamnce but at the cost of mpg.

There is also a wee bit of lag on upshifts with the paddles...but you can learn to anticipate it and shfit accordingly. You can also have it "tuned" for a more instant paddle response at the price of your warranty (which may not be an issue for you).

In either D or S the car will start off in 2nd gear (again mpg). If you use the paddles you can stop, downshift to first and then start in 1st if you so desire for a bit more pick up....
All correct except that last part:
In D, the car always starts in 1st.
In S, the car starts in 1st if you haven't been using the paddles.
If you are in S and using the paddles, the tranny will downshift only to 2nd as you come to a stop. It will then start in 2nd and stay there until you paddle up to 3rd, or until you go back to D.

Under gentle acceleration, the 1-2 shift is so soft and comes so soon; many people think the car started in 2nd.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:25 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
All correct except that last part:
In D, the car always starts in 1st.
In S, the car starts in 1st if you haven't been using the paddles.
If you are in S and using the paddles, the tranny will downshift only to 2nd as you come to a stop. It will then start in 2nd and stay there until you paddle up to 3rd, or until you go back to D.

Under gentle acceleration, the 1-2 shift is so soft and comes so soon; many people think the car started in 2nd.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Hmmmm gives me an excuse for a drive and test. Thanks Jim!
Old 04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06LUST

Excellent, thanks.

I noticed the "wee bit of lag" on upshifts -- and am glad you mentioned it...must be normal.

Didn't know about the possibility of getting the paddle response tuned under warranty, thanks for that, good to know! My feeling at this point is, anything I can get done before 36k miles I'm going to ask for. I'm assuming it's all built into the price of the car anyway.

Good info here -- thanks everybody!

Fred
Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
That is not true according to the owners manual. The manual states that "While in S (Sport Mode), the transmission will have more noticeable upshifts for sportier vehicle performance". Once you touch the paddle shifters in the "s" mode, that turns it into a paddle function mode.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Excellent, thanks.

I noticed the "wee bit of lag" on upshifts -- and am glad you mentioned it...must be normal.

Didn't know about the possibility of getting the paddle response tuned under warranty, thanks for that, good to know! My feeling at this point is, anything I can get done before 36k miles I'm going to ask for. I'm assuming it's all built into the price of the car anyway.

Good info here -- thanks everybody!

Fred
Misunderstanding--if you TUNE the tranny you will TAKE IT OUT of warranty.

yes the upshift lag is normal but can be anticipated--hit the button a few hudrend rpms before the intended upshift poiint...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:35 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Default D,s,p

I cannot believe that you have been driving your Vette all this time & totally unaware of the transmission you have......did you not test drive a Vette before purchasing ? ! Have you not read your oweners manual ? !

You are now going to find out what a super vehicle you own. Welcome to Vette owenership......ENJOY THE RIDE !!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
The people that wrote the owner's manual didn't confer with the people that programmed the trans. There is no difference in the shift tables for D and S, as it comes from the factory.

Originally Posted by DaveC6
Sorry for the long response, but I have learned a lot with my new HP Tuner that I would like to share.

I would agree that the manual does say that it holds gears longer in S mode, but I don't think it is any different than D. The stock shift tables for D and S are exactly the same for every gear. Meaning it does not hold any gear longer in S mode. I'm not referring to the shift firmness, just the shift speeds based on throttle position. The table below is the stock shift tables for 1st - 4th gears. The top table below is D (Normal), the bottom table is S (Performance). The shift speeds are identical for 1st - 6th gears on upshifts and downshifts. (5th and 6th tables are separate). I have modified my S tables to do what the manual says it does. Mine will hold gears longer and downshift earlier in S mode. It makes a huge difference by not allowing the car to bog down by early shifting.

For example, notice that 1st gear will shift at 8 MPH with not much throttle and kind of bogs or hesitates as it hits 2nd gear. I changed the first three boxes to 12, 14, and 16 (along with most of the boxes). Now in S mode the car will not shift until 12 MPH and the harder the throttle the longer it will hold 1st. To keep it in gear that long with stock tables you had to be giving it 25% to 37% throttle. I left D stock and they are now truely Normal vs. Performance modes.

These examples are Part Throttle, the same thing holds true for Full Throttle. The Full Throttle tables are exactly the same too. There are also RPM vs. Throttle tables and both D and S are identical shifting at 6400, 6400, and 6300 in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
lamboguy
Racer

The people that wrote the owner's manual didn't confer with the people that programmed the trans. There is no difference in the shift tables for D and S, as it comes from the factory.
Wow! Very interesting.

So others are saying they feel a difference? (I need to test for myself)

Fred

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting in "D" or "S" -- a comparison.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:15 PM
lamboguy
Racer

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
I cannot believe that you have been driving your Vette all this time & totally unaware of the transmission you have......did you not test drive a Vette before purchasing ? ! Have you not read your oweners manual ? !

You are now going to find out what a super vehicle you own. Welcome to Vette owenership......ENJOY THE RIDE !!!!!!!

Believe it.

I rented a Hertz Vette, drove it across country, liked it, and bought it. Didn't even open the hood. (seriously)

It's a great car, you can feel that the second you get it in and start driving. Can't beat it for the money.

Fred
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Default X-Country

Believe it.

I rented a Hertz Vette, drove it across country, liked it, and bought it. Didn't even open the hood. (seriously)

It's a great car, you can feel that the second you get it in and start driving. Can't beat it for the money.

Fred
You definitely have " Butt Time " if you went X-Cross country....Good experience !

Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent post Rick. Later! Frank

Quick Reply: Shifting in "D" or "S" -- a comparison.