C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Exchange or Repros??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM
LMBZ4ME
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wheel Exchange or Repros??

I have been looking into exchanging my stock polished aluminum wheels for some stock chrome ones. There are a few companies out there that will do a like wheel for like wheel exchange for a fee. The exchange program costs about the same prices as buying some new reproduction wheels. Are the GM stock wheels that much better than the repros? Any pro's or cons for one over the other? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, forged vs. cast. Been thinking about doing the wheel exchange as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tampatopless
Yep, forged vs. cast. Been thinking about doing the wheel exchange as well.
I don't think all of the GM wheels are forged either.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch the reproduction wheels if you are talking about the low priced ones. I've seen good quality on the less expensive wheels one time, but on another experience saw some real poor quality at places like the valve stem seat, poor plating on the inside of the barrel behind the wheels, and tool marks where the wheel was gripped while machining.

So, I would go for the exchange, especially if you get to inspect the wheels before taking delivery and if you like the wheel style.

Possibly consider buying some really good wheels and sell your factory wheels for a fair price. You might be happier.

Whatever way you go, I would want to understand the return policy before handing over the cash. Otherwise, it is possible to run into a difference of opinion on what a defect looks like. By the way, shipping wheels back can get a little pricey and delays getting your wheels installed.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I've done the WCC exchange with my C5 and later with my C6. They were actually excellent wheels & I'd do it again.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Chrome will look really nice on the blue Vette. I had chrome wheels on a NBM C5 and they looked great.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 PM
RanGer498
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cartop2
Watch the reproduction wheels if you are talking about the low priced ones. I've seen good quality on the less expensive wheels one time, but on another experience saw some real poor quality at places like the valve stem seat, poor plating on the inside of the barrel behind the wheels, and tool marks where the wheel was gripped while machining.

So, I would go for the exchange, especially if you get to inspect the wheels before taking delivery and if you like the wheel style.

Possibly consider buying some really good wheels and sell your factory wheels for a fair price. You might be happier.

Whatever way you go, I would want to understand the return policy before handing over the cash. Otherwise, it is possible to run into a difference of opinion on what a defect looks like. By the way, shipping wheels back can get a little pricey and delays getting your wheels installed.
yup I know this for a fact.
was given this great story about warranty on some chrome wheels from a vendor here (wont name the vendor)
I recived the wheels and about 2 months later . I took them off cleaned them good placed them in storage with my other cars wheels ,when I went to place them back on 3 months latter i noticed that they started to pitt.

I emailed and spoke to the vendor sent him pics and he wanted me to take my tires off ship him the wheels at my cost so they can be tested he said ,to see if it was my fault they pitted

Just for kicks I had my friends shop ordered one new wheel,
We left it in the box at his shop over the winter and sure enough they pitted as well.

lets see what the out come is about that .

I suggest you get some goos quality ones and remember you get what you pay for

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Exchange or Repros??

Quick Reply: Wheel Exchange or Repros??