C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That #*%# plastic glove box latch!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:19 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by esnret
I have broken off the plastic latch handle with key hole.
I see a small hole.
How do I get the latch to release so I can get the glove box open to replace the latch assembly.
Thanks
Gene Nathenson
There should be a small metal tab protruding down from the latch. Pull straight down on it with needle nose pliers. That's how I recall doing mine.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 AM
esnret
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer

There should be a small metal tab protruding down from the latch. Pull straight down on it with needle nose pliers. That's how I recall doing mine.
Thanks
I did use a needle nose pliers and some how finally got the glove box open.
What a pain.
Awaiting the part from the local Chevy dealer today.
Have removed the lock from the old latch and hopefully the install won't be an issue.
Gene Nathenson
Old 09-02-2018, 10:36 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah. Mine snapped off a couple years ago. Haven't seen any improvement on this design, and don't see the aftermarket one advertised as being stronger as actually being stronger. Didn't want to spend the $55. to replace, and have learned to open the glove box with the broken latch so for the time being until I see a better fix I'm just going to continue with the broken one. It's not all that noticeable unless you're looking for it.
Old 09-02-2018, 02:59 PM
esnret
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RobJoy
Yeah. Mine snapped off a couple years ago. Haven't seen any improvement on this design, and don't see the aftermarket one advertised as being stronger as actually being stronger. Didn't want to spend the $55. to replace, and have learned to open the glove box with the broken latch so for the time being until I see a better fix I'm just going to continue with the broken one. It's not all that noticeable unless you're looking for it.
our response.
I finally got the mechanism out and door open.
I ordered the part from the dealer. $81.60 tax included.
I had a friend install it on Friday.
Took five minutes.
You need to move lock from old to new latch..
Same engineering...very cheap.
Thanks
Gene Nathenson
Old 09-20-2018, 02:29 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

I love being part of a club! 2009, cashmere, it broke off, BUT, the reason was when I first pulled on it, it wouldn't open, even though it wasn't locked. Pulled a little harder, and snap. Now how to get to glove box open, I don't think the latch was the problem, something stuck somehow in there. Can I pull the hinge pins maybe?
Old 09-20-2018, 05:49 PM
RobJoy
Pro

If you will look on the underside of the part of the handle that is remaining on the lock you will see a small metal bar that extends out of the lock. Pull down on the bar and it will release the latch. I've got used to it so I can pull down on the metal bar with my thumb while holding my hand against the glove box door so I relieve the pressure on the latch. It makes opening it easier if there is no pressure against the latch.
The replacement latch runs about $55. I don't believe GM has ever upgraded this latch and until they do I won't buy another one. There is one aftermarket latch that claims to be stronger but I've never tried it. I looked at the photo of this aftermarket latch and I didn't see it being any stronger in the area where mine broke off.

Last edited by RobJoy; 09-20-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:56 PM
esnret
Heel & Toe

I bought the kit from the local corvette dealer...$81
a friend installed it.
i am very careful now.
Thanks
Gene Nathenson
Old 09-20-2018, 07:01 PM
COCO RICK
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
Replaced mine last fall; it seems late '07's and early '08's break most often, especially those that are Cashmere in color.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:16 PM
esnret
Heel & Toe

Yeah
thats mine a 2008 cashmere color
thanks
gene nathenson
Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 PM
RobJoy
Pro

Originally Posted by esnret
I bought the kit from the local corvette dealer...$81
a friend installed it.
i am very careful now.
Thanks
Gene Nathenson
Yeah. Seems that to not risk snapping off the latch you have to push against the glove box door while pulling on the latch in order to relieve the pressure on the latch. I don't know if I can remember that each time I want to get into the glove box.

Quick Reply: That #*%# plastic glove box latch!