C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealerships, does Gm sell parts to them at different prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Drock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealerships, does Gm sell parts to them at different prices

Recently, I have bought several items through GM. I do my own research, find my part numbers and proceed to price shopping. I like to know what I can get a part for before going to my local dealer. Does my local dealer pay more for their parts than our online suppliers? Example, OEM bed rail protectors for my GMC. Locally 176.00 forum vendor less than 80 bucks. Another, TPMS sensors locally 103.00 forum vendor 50 ish.. I just don't get it.

I usually get a blank stare when I show them I can buy the same part for half their price...

With that said, Big Thanks to our Forum Vendors for taking car of US. I appreciate it
Old 05-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Kanf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't call em 'Stealers' for nutin but seriously, I am sure they just have a much larger markup than most other sources due to overhead and such. Or maybe, just plain ole greed.

It is GREAT that we do have other sources to go to and yes, THANK YOU supporting Vendors!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a huge markup. I've seen the dealer prices on a few things then what they charge.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 AM
57JoeCool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several years ago I knew of a Dealer getting a 30% discount on GM parts pricing if he would take delivery of a train car load of 350 crate engines. I have no idea if they still have programs like that or not as my brother-in-law who was a GM Parts District Manager is deceased.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

GM's pricing is "List", "Trade" and "Net". If you have a business account or negotiate with the dealership you can get parts at "Trade."
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

1/2 price is good
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanf
They don't call em 'Stealers' for nutin but seriously, I am sure they just have a much larger markup than most other sources due to overhead and such. Or maybe, just plain ole greed.

It is GREAT that we do have other sources to go to and yes, THANK YOU supporting Vendors!!!!
+1 to that.

Yes, most dealerships (that are honest) make very little up front on selling the cars. They make the bulk of their income on parts and service. Warranty and non-warranty service makes some good money.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:43 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock
Recently, I have bought several items through GM. I do my own research, find my part numbers and proceed to price shopping. I like to know what I can get a part for before going to my local dealer. Does my local dealer pay more for their parts than our online suppliers? Example, OEM bed rail protectors for my GMC. Locally 176.00 forum vendor less than 80 bucks. Another, TPMS sensors locally 103.00 forum vendor 50 ish.. I just don't get it.

I usually get a blank stare when I show them I can buy the same part for half their price...

With that said, Big Thanks to our Forum Vendors for taking car of US. I appreciate it
Every dealers pays the same for parts they also have a suggested retail price thats the same some dealers will sell to you at garage prices and some won't. A lot of dealer parts people will add to list and give you a discount down to suggested mfg list. If a dealer buys in volume he may see a discount not many buy this way anymore.List , trade and net trade is garage prices.
Z51vett
General Motors Service parts retired

Last edited by z51vett; 05-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Every dealer pays the same cost. If you meet certain objectives or hit certain stops you will get a kick back. If you purchase over 2,000,000 per year you get an extra discount. You also have to be RIM compliant, etc, or you get surcharges. There are all kinds of things going on, but basically the dealer is asking for a higher mark up than we do and we sell more parts than them because of that, lol.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

welcome to the retail business. nothing greedy about it, that's business. other goods have much much higher markups and you dont even think twice about it.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 PM
LionGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure most customers don't know and just pay the "list" price. What gets me is that most dealers won't budge on price. I've showed dealers "online" price listings and have asked for a discount, not match, just a discount, they balk and say list price or buy it elsewhere.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealerships charge list (or more) for parts so they can charge the higher markups to people who come in to have work done. Wouldn't be a very good idea to charge one price if you buy it at the parts department and a higher price if you buy it and have it installed.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 AM
bolivar
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Vette
GM's pricing is "List", "Trade" and "Net". If you have a business account or negotiate with the dealership you can get parts at "Trade."
Yep, this is what was going on many years ago when I still did a little work on cars. My friend was a used dealer and buddy of the Chevy parts man and he could buy at Net. There had to still be some profit there, or I don't think they would have sold at that price.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
If you purchase over 2,000,000 per year you get an extra discount.
I think we've got guys on this Forum who spend more than that...
Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

No different than how the old school auto parts stores worked. I grew up in a family auto parts business. We had the price you paid if we knew you, the price you paid if you looked shady and the price dealers and fleets paid.

The dealerships still markup the parts they get from GM or another parts houses just like they did when I sold to them. Double is low in some cases.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
If I were a regular forum member I would think you were kidding, but since I do see people buying like this from me, it is pretty serious, lol.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:16 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Dealerships, does Gm sell parts to them at different prices

Quick Reply: Dealerships, does Gm sell parts to them at different prices