C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottoming out.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:28 PM
abazaba410
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks lowered to me. But I live in MI i scrape on every road. I think I cracked my fender too :'(
Old 05-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update. FIRST I went to my local down the road Chevy dealer. I like the owner a lot. He has CML and I have AML. BUT the tech that looked at it spent a minute and said BODY SHOP. I looked and saw what was broken and how bracket was installed etc. and said WHY? He had attitude from the get go. Said well 'I'm not fixing it, body shop"! I said your wrong but I'm not going to argue with you. Went out side called the Corvette dealer 50 miles away where I bought it and service advisor said more then likely a hour or so labor if nothing else bent and we stock the part. Went there. Tech there was super from the get go. He said why did the other tech say body shop? Cause this is mechanical. I said my thoughts also and it doesn't look like that big of a deal. Other tech cost that dealer a job. Its not lowered. The ride height adjusters are where they are suppose to be. Corvette tech that I'm dealing with at the dealer walked out and looked,put fingers between tire and fender and said nope its OK. Then we got it on a lift and sure enough adjusters are down in stock position. Now for the rest. The radiator bracket d/side is busted to hell,weld nut on frame for one of the bracket pads is busted off. Another small bracket for inner fender and front air dam is twisted around. He said "nothing new fix this all the time". Going to be a bit more then a hour labor. I figured that when I saw it earlier. They had parts in stock. While its there they had a good price on trans fliud exchange $129.95 and brake fliud replace $89.95. I wanted to do that for my piece of mind and resale. So I gave him some gravy and told him to go easy and straightening out inner fender,air dam and bracket etc. They put me in a Impala with dealer name all over it from front to back and said call you tomorrow.

Last edited by Ketchum; 05-31-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the exact same car, vert, 06 yada yada. This last weekend I hooked up to a tree stump while parking. When I backed away I managed to crack the nose underneath pretty bad and pushed up the brake cooling duct. First substantial ding on the Vette grrrr. Idiot move.

I never bottom out on dips or driveways because I work at it and take things at a angle.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The official measurements for ride height are between two points on the suspension, front and rear. Someone said it takes a special tool to measure, but I'm not sure if that is correct.

"Measuring" ride height by using the fenders is only a rough guide, because of variations in assembly.

Your car does look lowered in the pictures, especially the front; and the fact that you are scraping and hitting so much reinforces that idea. Some people have actually raised the car above stock ride height, to get better clearance for the front end.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:29 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

One of the reasons I was scrapping so much was the broken lower radiator support. As I mentioned he said he fixes lots of broken supports. So I'm not the only one that hits hard at times. The tech said he'd do a ride height measurement. But intial saw nothing obvious about it being lower then specs. This is a very experienced Corvette tech.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:49 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
One of the reasons I was scrapping so much was the broken lower radiator support.
I WIN!
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not a probably, that car is definitly lower then stock. Bring it back up to factory ride height, it will solve alot of your problems. Other then looks there is no real advantage to having it sit that low anyways.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by djbrun
Yes, it looks like it has been lowered a bit.

DJ
And if it looks lowered at first glance like your's does, it's been lowered a lot.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

I called this A.m. and ask service advisor to double check ride height. He said he'd talk to the tech.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

I talked to tech about ride height again. He says he measured it and its a 1/8 of a inch within specs. This tech has got tons of experience on these cars. works on all year models and apparently is thought of highly in the Corvette club etc.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The front does look quite low.

Mine is lowered all the way on stock bolts and my front isn't quite that low.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
The front does look quite low.

Mine is lowered all the way on stock bolts and my front isn't quite that low.
Thats because the tech that told him it was withing a 1/8" of stock ride height is blowing smoke out his ***... That car is LOW, lower then most people can get on stock bolts without cutting them.

But what the hell do I know.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I talked to tech about ride height again. He says he measured it and its a 1/8 of a inch within specs. This tech has got tons of experience on these cars. works on all year models and apparently is thought of highly in the Corvette club etc.
Probably because the dealer doesn't want to admit the car they sold you has been lowered after they told you no mods and doesn't want to pay to return it back to stock height and a 4 wheel alignment.

How do they explain the painted calipers on a car that supposedly was leased to a women and had no mods.

From the photos you posted it has definitely been lowered, the distance above the tires to the fender openings is far less than my 100% stock 2007 convert.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
rwd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As has been said before, the car looks significantly lowered.

If your tires are the stock size, find another similar car or two and compare how many fingers you can insert between the top of the front (and/or rear) tire and the fender. The other car's openings will probably be noticeably larger.

Also, you might ask the tech how he's measuring the ride height. If it involves the bolts and they're not stock, that might be part of the discrepancy.

The scraping and the broken radiator support both were likely the result of lowering, and the ride is probably a bit hard for the same reason.

New tires at 19K miles and an unusually good price, plus the calipers, are a bit worrying. Good luck, and I hope they do right by you.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Lowering the car will not effect the ride quality... It still has the same amount of "weight" on the springs and the rates are unchanged. Lowering your car does exactly that, "lowers it". It does not effect ride quality.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Tech sure wasn't the sort to blow smoke up any one's ***, dealer owner,service writer or customer. He had two waiting in the wings for him. A old anniversary car with under 12,000 miles and a 2008. Was told he has a big following with the Atlanta Corvette club. He had no clue I had bought the car from them. I was told when I bought the car the original Goodyear's were done in. From reading on this site that is not unusual. Tech said ride height is within 1/8 of a inch of spcs. Not sure where he measured from but he also aligns the cars he works on there. Just on my own quick measurements from the edge of front air dam in the very center to ground is 2 and 3/4 inches. From the top of left and right front tires from the center to the wheel lip is also about 2 and 3/4 inches. His work was excellent. He pulled front bumper cover which had a bigger gap then left side,straightened another bent bracket,replaced lower core support,repaired broken and bent bracket on inner fender d/side and reattached inner fender. Repaired and reattached front air dam. 3.5 hours labor. I was not anticipating the refitting of front bumper cover. He also did a trans fliud exchange and a brake fliud service. I gave him a $20.00 tip. Work was great and boy did he fix and reuse the bent broken loose inner fender and air dam. His name is Todd. Excellant tech. Mark the service advisor was super but Todd is the one that really tells you the skinny of whats done and why. Oh they loaned me a car without me asking. I was in service about 25 years. I know good service and usually get a feel for a tech pretty quick. I got great service for a fair price from Mark and Todd at Maxi Price Chevorlet in Loganville Georgia. I can see why Todd has a big following with the Atlanta Corvette club.

Last edited by Ketchum; 06-01-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

As long as your happy.....

Go pull up next to a stock C6, i will bet anything its over an inch difference in ride height......

Get notified of new replies

To Bottoming out.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

I did at the dealer. Wife and I both looked. It wasn't lower then the 08 we were next to. Maybe the camera angle. What is the measurment of the very tip of center of front air dam to ground? Mine is 2 and 3/4. What is yours.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:49 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

I did at the dealer. Wife and I both looked. It wasn't lower then the 08 we were next to. Maybe the camera angle. What is the measurment of the very tip of center of front air dam to ground? Mine is 2 and 3/4. What is yours.
Thats a hell of a camera angle then.. Somthing isnt right... but whatever.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

I thought it was low also. Thats why I asked you all. The ride height adjuster bolts are in the down postion. I looked at them before I went to the Lognaville dealer. Tech is very experienced. When he looked at it on the service drive he said he'd measure it but he knew just from looking it was ok. He stuck his fingers between tire and fender,left and right and said its not lowered but I will measure and double check. Hell,he's a grown man thats been doing nothing but vettes for 2 decades. I'm not going to argue with him. I made it clear it was a concern of mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bottoming out.