C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$50 dollars to remove road noise/exhaust drone :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:52 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default $50 dollars to remove road noise/exhaust drone :)

My current setup is Longtube headers, offroad 3" x-pipe and Borla Stingers.

It's loud and drones a LOT at 1500-1700 RPMs

I loved the sound but wanted to kill some of the drone.

I first tried the 3 piece Block IT setup from TKO which was nothing short of worthless and sold it off. The wife also wasn't impressed.

I've been reading a lot about a cheap alternative to sound insulation that can be picked up locally at Lowe's (local hardware store) called Peel and Seal. It sells for $15 a roll which is 6" x 25' and I picked up 3 rolls.

Total install time was 1.75 hours from starting to pull the carpet out to putting it all back in and shutting the hatch. Two rolls really would've accomplished covering the entire rear area but I used the third roll to double up on as much as I could, and I think it paid off.

The wife and I went for a test drive and it was incredible how much of the drone and excess noise was knocked out. Immediately noticeable was the ability to talk to each other at the 1500-1700 range.

Best $50 dollar mod I've done to a car

Cleaned the entire rear hatch area by first vacuuming and then wiping everything down with an all purpose cleaner (I used Grime Reaper)

Then I laid down strips of Peel and Seal overlapping by about 2 inches.

1 Roll covered this much:

2 rolls covered the rest:

The third roll, like I said, was just to double it up in as much of the hatch as possible.

I highly recommend that anyone do this if you want to cut down on road noise. VERY inexpensive and blocks a lot more sound than the Block IT setup (that's all I have to compare it to).

Very satisfied.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:10 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i used something very similar (or same thing in larger roll) it made to seal concrete foundations. its dam near same as dynamat rubbery stuff is just a lil thiner. i did the entire cab of my s10 cost my about $60 and 6 hours time. did the doors roof everything made a huge difference.

i was gonna do my vet and post it but, you beat my to it. glad it turned out good for you.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Yeah, this stuff is actually for roofing insulation, so if anyone goes to look for it, go to the roofing department of your hardware store.

BTW, weight was about 5lbs per roll
Old 05-28-2011, 07:53 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I took some old gym mats that they were selling off at the gym and lined them with aluminum duct tape. works great . I like your idea also

clif
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice..
Might have to try that out.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

When you remove/install the Factory carpet, what's holding it in?
Does it just lay there with the corners tucked in?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 PM
MrAFX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

none of you probably care, but some guys over on the f body forum did this and in time the car had a distinct tar type smell, or so they claimed. The heat on the floor pans apparently caused the issue, maybe the glass does not get as hot.

definately cheaper if it works. exhaust drone stinks for sure.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I would imagine non catted headers with Borla would drone like crazy.

I'm kinda surprised this peel and seal has sound dampening qualities.

Interesting..
Old 05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Very nice job, Floyd! BTW, does that stuff have any heat-reducing capability that you can tell? Obviously, it does the sound/drone reduction which is your main goal. Just thought I'd ask about the other possible function.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dif
When you remove/install the Factory carpet, what's holding it in?
Does it just lay there with the corners tucked in?
Essentially, yes. It has 4 clips/tabs on the back side near the hatch release, but other than that it's basically just form-fitted.

Each cargo bin in the back also is held down with clips that just pop out when force is put pulling up on the carpet.

Originally Posted by MrAFX
none of you probably care, but some guys over on the f body forum did this and in time the car had a distinct tar type smell, or so they claimed. The heat on the floor pans apparently caused the issue, maybe the glass does not get as hot.

definately cheaper if it works. exhaust drone stinks for sure.
Yep, I had read about that. It was sitting today in 100+ degree houston sun for about 7 hours and there was absolutely no smell.

I've also read that if the smell DOES occur you just line it with aluminum tape and it resolves that issue completely.

I read about this stuff on a couple import forums, LS1tech and a mustang forum before purchasing it. Didn't want to waste my time

Ha...even the reviews for this stuff on the Lowe's website BOTH reference using it for dampening car noise.

Originally Posted by AORoads
Very nice job, Floyd! BTW, does that stuff have any heat-reducing capability that you can tell? Obviously, it does the sound/drone reduction which is your main goal. Just thought I'd ask about the other possible function.
Thanks

I trust that it should have heat-reducing capability as it's meant for roof insulation on a house

Last edited by FloydSummerOf68; 05-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:11 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I would imagine non catted headers with Borla would drone like crazy.

I'm kinda surprised this peel and seal has sound dampening qualities.

Interesting..
You imagine correctly. It sounds great outside the car, but man, it was brutal inside if the windows were up.

Now it's great all the time

My wife said we can start using it to go to work again (we work for the same company and carpool together), lol.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good job. I did something like that and then removed my after market exhaust. Life is good again.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Good job. I did something like that and then removed my after market exhaust. Life is good again.
Removing my exhaust will never be an option.

It's getting a big cam later this summer, so this was prep work for that as well
Old 05-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 589 Likes on 162 Posts

I did the same thing to my C5, only I used a product called "Frost King" that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.....it's got the aluminum top, but it has about a 16th of an inch of compressed foam on the bottom that self-sticks to any surface. Very easy to use and is MUCH cheaper than Dynamat. I'm sure there are a ton of threads on it in the C5 sections.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

nice job Floyd........
Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Presidentialpawn
Racer

In addition I suggest: Elevate the car. You will see 4 perfectly smooth panels of the floor. Clean it well with detergent and water, let it dry and rubb with some alcohol. Peel and Seal those panels. It adds tremendously to the drone elimination and no it will not fall off.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Presidentialpawn
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
I did the same thing to my C5, only I used a product called "Frost King" that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes.....it's got the aluminum top, but it has about a 16th of an inch of compressed foam on the bottom that self-sticks to any surface. Very easy to use and is MUCH cheaper than Dynamat. I'm sure there are a ton of threads on it in the C5 sections.
It is not as heavy as Peel and Seal and it has a much lesser deadening quality. I'm going to use it as a " filler" coat over Peel and Seal to make the carpet in the back lay straighter. Ps. I just discovered almost 2 inches of floor insulation in my Mercedes diesel suv!

Get notified of new replies

To $50 dollars to remove road noise/exhaust drone :)

Old 05-29-2011, 02:19 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Removing my exhaust will never be an option.

It's getting a big cam later this summer, so this was prep work for that as well
Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr Snappy!
I read about Frost King but Peel and Seal is supposed to be superior for sound insulation.

Originally Posted by speedraider
nice job Floyd........
Thanks

Originally Posted by Presidentialpawn
In addition I suggest: Elevate the car. You will see 4 perfectly smooth panels of the floor. Clean it well with detergent and water, let it dry and rubb with some alcohol. Peel and Seal those panels. It adds tremendously to the drone elimination and no it will not fall off.
Interesting. Do you actually mean under the car?

I'll have to try that out if so; thanks for the tip.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 AM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice! I bought a small Dynamat kit to apply to the metal behind the seats. I had some oil canning on the passenger side. Fixed it perfectly.

Regarding your setup- how difficult was it to remove all the rear carpet? I never even attempted to look/try. Does it come out in a single piece?

Quick Reply: $50 dollars to remove road noise/exhaust drone :)