C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newest Mod SWC Finished

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 PM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I have a 2005 Navi radio but I wonder if the dealer could still and do a navi reflash to get the SWC to work. It's worth a shot!
Just wanted to let you know that I recently finished this rework and it worked for me (and I am working on a write-up as I didn't upgrade the steering column harness). I did upgrade to a 2008 NAV as I had read my 2006 wouldn't work.

I had the 2008 NAV reprogrammed at Main Motors in Anoka today for $99 and everything works great! Stay tuned for my step-by-step (which I realize is a little late for you but we might get it to work with a little teamwork).

Here is my step-by-step write-up.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...4B8FABC965!428

Last edited by CWGrizzwold; 04-11-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Added instructions
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 PM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm pretty sure I hooked everything up right but like you said above my 2005 Navi won't accept steering wheel controls right?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 PM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
I'm pretty sure I hooked everything up right but like you said above my 2005 Navi won't accept steering wheel controls right?
That is what I understood from searching through the forums.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by CWGrizzwold
Just wanted to let you know that I recently finished this rework and it worked for me (and I am working on a write-up as I didn't upgrade the steering column harness). I did upgrade to a 2008 NAV as I had read my 2006 wouldn't work.

I had the 2008 NAV reprogrammed at Main Motors in Anoka today for $99 and everything works great! Stay tuned for my step-by-step (which I realize is a little late for you but we might get it to work with a little teamwork).
Great to hear! You just broke new ground and just saved future peeps from shelling out an additional $90.00!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey guys - great write up.

I have gotten the wheel and the steering wheel controls to work - but it looks like I have 2 problems.

1) I followed the PDF that Griswold came up with and my 2005 does not have Grey/Black wire in slot B2 on the connector that goes to the Hvac - as matter of fact - that slot is empty.

Do you know if the Grey/Black wire on the Hazzard flasher switch is the same as the Dash Illumination switch we are looking for?

The way I ran my wire - that would make the best place to splice into.

2) I took a test drive and the steering wheel seems to be making a binding/grinding noise when I turn the wheel.

Could the clock spring not be seated all the way down?

Could it be the plug for the steering wheel controls?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:45 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

No-IL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Hey guys - great write up.

I have gotten the wheel and the steering wheel controls to work - but it looks like I have 2 problems.

1) I followed the PDF that Griswold came up with and my 2005 does not have Grey/Black wire in slot B2 on the connector that goes to the Hvac - as matter of fact - that slot is empty.

Do you know if the Grey/Black wire on the Hazzard flasher switch is the same as the Dash Illumination switch we are looking for?

The way I ran my wire - that would make the best place to splice into.

2) I took a test drive and the steering wheel seems to be making a binding/grinding noise when I turn the wheel.

Could the clock spring not be seated all the way down?

Could it be the plug for the steering wheel controls?

I would double check your clockspring install, and wire routing for the scraping noise. I used a wire from the DIC control panel on the right side of steering wheel for my light wire source. It was an easy place to splice into, and was close o the wheel. Great job!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 AM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Originally Posted by kevakasper
I would double check your clockspring install, and wire routing for the scraping noise. I used a wire from the DIC control panel on the right side of steering wheel for my light wire source. It was an easy place to splice into, and was close o the wheel. Great job!
I agree with Keva on what you should look into to resolve the scraping noise. Regarding the hazard switch, here is the pinout on the 2006.

I had a similar issue with the steering wheel connector but I couldn't seat the airbag all the way down so I knew I didn't have it clipped in the right spot. It should be clipped with the connector towards the steering column and not the airbag and only the small silver clip should be exposed towards the driver.

Pin 1 - Tan - Hazard switch signal
Pin 2 - Black - Ground
Pin 3 - Gray / Black - INSTRUMENT PANEL SUPPLY VOLTAGE
Pin 4 - Brown - Hazard supply voltage

So you definitely want Pin 3 to pick up the back light connection

Last edited by CWGrizzwold; 05-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:25 PM
bonecrrusher
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Guys - thanks again for all the help.

I finally had free time to finish this up today...

Found out what the noise is - it wasnt the clockspring.

I mean the wiring had jamed it a bit up - but I removed the plastic surround the steering column - the 2 halves that clip together - and put the wheel back on.

It ended up being those 2 damn pieces of plastic - they are not a perfect circle and where rubbing on the back of the wheel itself.

Seriously tore it apart twice just to confirm. I've fixed it for the most part now.

One thing to note - make sure you plug in your Gps sensor on the back of your nav radio.

I went for a test drive and the gps couldn't find the signal - tore the center console back apart and plugged it in.

Fun times!

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 AM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Originally Posted by bonecrrusher
Guys - thanks again for all the help.

I finally had free time to finish this up today...

Found out what the noise is - it wasnt the clockspring.

I mean the wiring had jamed it a bit up - but I removed the plastic surround the steering column - the 2 halves that clip together - and put the wheel back on.

It ended up being those 2 damn pieces of plastic - they are not a perfect circle and where rubbing on the back of the wheel itself.

Seriously tore it apart twice just to confirm. I've fixed it for the most part now.

One thing to note - make sure you plug in your Gps sensor on the back of your nav radio.

I went for a test drive and the gps couldn't find the signal - tore the center console back apart and plugged it in.

Fun times!

Thanks again for all the help.
Glad to hear you got it figured out. I agree with you in the fact that the two piece steering column cover was not enjoyable to reinstall. That probably took me the most time on the reinstall but once you figure it out it seems to go together easy every time thereafter.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Impressive work, not many would tackle a project like this
Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteveDotenMotorsports
Impressive work, not many would tackle a project like this
I appreciate the feedback Steve. It was a fun challenge that gave me something to tackle over the winter months. Next up is a heated steering wheel swap for my 2011 Avalanche before the cold sets in.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Where does the wire I circled in red lead to? Why wasnt this mentioned....seems like not mentioning where this wire leads to is leaving out a big piece of the write up..or did I not read something?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

No-IL Events Coordinator

Re read the post. That is the wires to the radio that are not in the 06 harness and the light wire. I figured all this out on my own.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Well done, a job that surpasses my skill level.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

My writeup might help you too.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...4B8FABC965!428

I still have some extra pins and connectors if others want to do this mod. Let me know what you need and I can send them as necessary.

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Where does the wire I circled in red lead to? Why wasnt this mentioned....seems like not mentioning where this wire leads to is leaving out a big piece of the write up..or did I not read something?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kevakasper
Re read the post. That is the wires to the radio that are not in the 06 harness and the light wire. I figured all this out on my own.
I'm trying to wire up radio controls to my pioneer x930bt in my 06z. I have everything but the column harness wire. Those three wires in my picture, where would those go in my situation? Would they go to the SWC adapter I bought?
Old 04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
CWGrizzwold
Advanced

Yes, since the 06s didn't have SWC you have to make the jump manually with extra wires but for you the jump should be slightly less painful with the SWC adapter.

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I'm trying to wire up radio controls to my pioneer x930bt in my 06z. I have everything but the column harness wire. Those three wires in my picture, where would those go in my situation? Would they go to the SWC adapter I bought?

Get notified of new replies

To Newest Mod SWC Finished

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM
lucdesigns
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2012 wheel on 2005

Thanks to all for the great information!! I want to put a 2012 steering wheel on a 2005. I have a kenwood head unit. I noticed in the original pictures the wheel came with stereo and Bluetooth buttons, but the Bluetooth buttons were removed in later pictures? I was just wondering if the part numbers in the first 2 pictures will work with Bluetooth buttons also? Does the wiring harness (part number you specified) allow for a telescoping column?

Thanx very much!!
Old 02-12-2015, 06:46 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

No-IL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by lucdesigns
Thanks to all for the great information!! I want to put a 2012 steering wheel on a 2005. I have a kenwood head unit. I noticed in the original pictures the wheel came with stereo and Bluetooth buttons, but the Bluetooth buttons were removed in later pictures? I was just wondering if the part numbers in the first 2 pictures will work with Bluetooth buttons also? Does the wiring harness (part number you specified) allow for a telescoping column?

Thanx very much!!
The bluetooth was not downward compatible. I just swapped the blank spoke cover. The 07 + wheel harness will have the wiring, but it will be up to you to make it work
Old 02-17-2015, 06:46 PM
gcope63
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have read through several of these threads about changing the steering wheel to one that has stereo controls and still have a question that I couldn't see answered in any of the threads (or at least I wasn't sure). I have a 2007 1LT with the base stereo, do I still need to buy the wiring harness for the steering column or just the clock spring and steering wheel?

Thanks!!

Gary

Quick Reply: Newest Mod SWC Finished