C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got abused by the law (again) today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, you should get an attorney.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Plead "NOT GUILTY" ! The incorporated Town of Brookhaven will reduce it to some other nonsensical offense, the fine will be much lower and there will be no points on your license to drive up your insurance. That way the little town gets your fine rather than big bad broke NYS. I have two friends, who, are NYS magistrates and have told me so. I did just that, in the little town of Milton, after I had gotten a ticket on the thruway for 75mph in a 65mph. I got disobeying a traffic ordinance in the town and paid $65.00 with no points.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
martinf55
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have asked him politely to see the radar clocked at 47. It's your right .
Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

abused you say, is you head still attached to your neck. you fn winer.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by martinf55
You should have asked him politely to see the radar clocked at 47. It's your right .
While it may be "your right" to ask, the LEO doesn't have to show you squat

Don't know how the laws are written in Ontario, Canada but in the US he'll need to request any documents in in a courtroom, or have his attorney do so at the time of arraignment prior to trial, otherwise they have no bearing.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider
Well he didnt tell us about the baton part yet, maybe thats what he means.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by speedraider
Not sure what personal (and presumably unpleasant) experiences you may have had that might narrow your definition of abuse as your statement suggests, but... I certainly do consider it abuse. Any instance where an honest tax-paying citizen is wrongly taken advantage of by way of corruptly exercised authority, simply because they choose to drive a fast car, is abuse. Abuse of the citizen, abuse of power, and abuse of the law.

Watched my speedo on the way home and I verified that 4,000 RPM is 30 MPH in 1st gear, and yes I have a Corsa exhaust and it starts to bellow loudly a little before that.

To those of you who asked me if I was doing 47 in a 30, my question for you is: why would I be wasting not only your time, but my own, by posting this if I really was going that fast? If I was, I'd just suck it up, pay it and move on. It's 4 pts on your license and my insurance rates stay the same regardless of points, and it takes 11 points within 18 months to lose your license.

Additionally, even if I was going 47, I'd not be ashamed of it, because even 47 mph through that particular area would not be unreasonably fast. But that's not the point - the point is I wasn't going that fast, and that is why I'm expressing my frustration.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Your opinion of 47 in a 30 at that location is not unreasonable is just your opinion, its 17 over.

Now we all know there are LEO's that might not be as professional as we all would hope, but they come out of the human gene pool just like everyone. That goes for every profession, bar none! doctors, lawyers, teachers, private business owners, astronauts, pilots, bankers, nurses, military, everybody! By and large, the US LEO's are the best trained, best conduct and professionalism out there. And most LEO's have no tolerance for other LEO's that cross that thin blue line! Yes I had to fire a few over the course of 30 years but very few issues and in most cases of a citizen complaint or law suit, the officer was within policy and law. Nothing less is acceptable. Try walking in their shoes just once.

Sorry for your issue but I dont hear you saying you were driving the speed limit.

Last edited by bearphoto; 05-31-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
Not sure what personal (and presumably unpleasant) experiences you may have had that might narrow your definition of abuse as your statement suggests, but... I certainly do consider it abuse. Any instance where an honest tax-paying citizen is wrongly taken advantage of by way of corruptly exercised authority, simply because they choose to drive a fast car, is abuse. Abuse of the citizen, abuse of power, and abuse of the law.

Watched my speedo on the way home and I verified that 4,000 RPM is 30 MPH in 1st gear, and yes I have a Corsa exhaust and it starts to bellow loudly a little before that.

To those of you who asked me if I was doing 47 in a 30, my question for you is: why would I be wasting not only your time, but my own, by posting this if I really was going that fast? If I was, I'd just suck it up, pay it and move on. It's 4 pts on your license and my insurance rates stay the same regardless of points, and it takes 11 points within 18 months to lose your license.

Additionally, even if I was going 47, I'd not be ashamed of it, because even 47 mph through that particular area would not be unreasonably fast. But that's not the point - the point is I wasn't going that fast, and that is why I'm expressing my frustration.

All the "if you got a ticket you must have committed a crime" people crack me up.

I've been in basically the same situation before, only it was claimed I was paced. This was on an empty 2 lane road in a secluded area. I took off from a stop sign, and whacked the throttle open and closed a few times to try to reproduce a rear suspension noise I'd been hearing. I got up to maybe 45 mph. There were no other cars in sight in front or behind me.

In my mirror, I spot a cop pulling up to the same stop sign I just pulled off from (I'm probably 100 yards away at this point). I watched him haul *** to catch up to me from a dead stop. I make sure I'm going EXACTLY the speed limit, and am watching him in my mirror as he catches me. He gets on my ***, and paces me for probably 15-20 seconds. I'm doing EXACTLY 35 mph on my speedometer, which was pretty accurate.

He then pulls me over and says he paced me at 50 mph. He was just pissed because he heard me doing the 'torque hops' and assumed I was going fast ( bright red '68 Camaro with flowmasters), even though I wasn't. He simply wanted to give me a ticket and knew it was his work against mine if it went to court.

I paid the fine and moved on, but it still pisses me off - and this was almost 10 years ago.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Your opinion of 47 in a 30 at that location is not unreasonable is just your opinion, its 13 over.

Now we all know there are LEO's that might not be as professional as we all would hope, but they come out of the human gene pool just like everyone. That goes for every profession, bar none! doctors, lawyers, teachers, private business owners, astronauts, pilots, bankers, nurses, military, everybody! By and large, the US LEO's are the best trained, best conduct and professionalism out there. And most LEO's have no tolerance for other LEO's that cross that thin blue line! Yes I had to fire a few over the course of 30 years but very few issues and in most cases of a citizen complaint or law suit, the officer was within policy and law. Nothing less is acceptable. Try walking in their shoes just once.

Sorry for your issue but I dont hear you saying you were driving the speed limit.
Where I come from that's 17 over, pal.

Anyways I drive my car every single day and get trailed constantly by officers. Yet, I've only been pulled over a handful of times, and I've only gotten a ticket twice - and both times, the officer was a douche. Moral of the story is while I may not always drive within the posted limit, I always drive within reason. What you say may be true - most officers may do their job wonderfully, and those are probably the ones I see on a daily basis that don't pull me over. But this guy wasn't one of them. I cannot imagine walking in his shoes, unless I could direct him into a pile of dog ****.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
YellowGSRocket
Racer

For next time, I should ask to see the gun and the calibration sticker? What am I looking for?
Speaking from experience, (Former P.O) he does not have to show you the radar or laser. Usually it is his word over yours, (you will probably lose that fight). As for the certificate, they should bring it to court, most don't.... They will ask for it at a trial and whether it was tested prior to and after issuing a tkt. Which he will say that it was....It doesn't appear that you have an issue unless you can prove that he was infact not in his vehicle when you went past him...GOOD LUCK
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Tin Star
If the mods removed all the crying over tickets , where would this forum be?

People get caught speeding, tell us their side of the story, call the LEOs liars, and post on here.

Gets old after a while.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

For next time, I should ask to see the gun and the calibration sticker? What am I looking for?
Then they'll ask you if your speedometer is calibrated.

This tactic is often referenced, but rarely if ever works.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettin08
You may as well have said "May I have a ticket please?"

You can't talk your way out of a ticket,....... but is a time tested and true fact that you can certainly talk your way into one.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:41 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You can't talk your way out of a ticket,....... but is a time tested and true fact that you can certainly talk your way into one.
Well said quicksilver! how true that is.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 PM
JCTaylor21
Instructor

They won't even give you a chance to explain yourself. What's more, it's REQUIRED that you show up in court, and they don't even tell you what the fine would be before you get there.
This is still the USA. You have the right to contest any charge. That's the whole point of having your day in court. You also have the option of hiring a lawyer. You should be getting letters in the mail from the ones that handle these types of cases. The ones that check the court records send letters out ot the recipients, here they do anyway. I would fight it. It is a moving violation and goes on your driving record. I don't know about your state, but here they adopted a point system and if you acumulate too many points in a given time period, they can suspend your license. So aside from the fine, you have other considerations.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 PM
JCTaylor21
Instructor

Originally Posted by designerRob
OP, you should get an attorney.

Get notified of new replies

To Got abused by the law (again) today.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

...The officer was from an independent village (Town of Brookhaven)...
What village? Where were you when you got the ticket (what intersection)?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyways I drive my car every single day and get trailed constantly by officers. Yet, I've only been pulled over a handful of times, and I've only gotten a ticket twice - and both times, the officer was a douche. Moral of the story is while I may not always drive within the posted limit, I always drive within reason. What you say may be true - most officers may do their job wonderfully, and those are probably the ones I see on a daily basis that don't pull me over. But this guy wasn't one of them. I cannot imagine walking in his shoes, unless I could direct him into a pile of dog ****.
I'll be the first to say I'm no saint, however, look at how this post reads...

You've been pulled several times and admit to speeding and two officers used their discretion to write you for the violation you committed but they're the douches?
It's always someone's else's fault huh how about saying whew got away with plenty but can't win em all I somewhat sided with you initially believing your depiction and knowing some cops aren't as professional I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now you just sound like those who can't take responsibility for their own actions.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are not abused, I think you r wrong for doing 4000rpm in first gear in a 30mph zone, it's not the speeding that caught his attention, it's the exhibition of speed that did it, you were wrong for just grabbing his attention, if u feel you were raped of your constitutional rights then fine have your day in court but u got a ticket for the simple fact of exhibition of speed, for which u r guilty of, 4000 rpm in 30 mph zone, is in fact an exhibition of speed, see how many times I say " exhibition of speed" you actually don't have to be speeding, just the simple act of looking like you r going to, will get u a ticket, you need to do your hot rodding someplace other then a 30 mph zone, pay your fine, learn from it and move on...

Quick Reply: Got abused by the law (again) today.