C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Default Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/next-cor...turbo-v-8.html

Anxious to attract the sort of high-performance buyers increasingly drawn to European sports cars from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini, General Motors is planning some major changes for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette – starting with a high-revving, small-displacement powertrain, that will substitute for the big V-8s traditionally found under the hood of the Chevy two-seater

GM has approved the use of a very European-style V-8 that will be only slightly larger than 3 liters in displacement. The engine will be an overhead-cam, rather than traditional overhead-valve design, using a dry sump oil system that’s particularly well suited to high-performance road courses rather than straight-line acceleration. The engine is expected to feature a narrow 80.5 mm bore and a long stroke, more like a Ferrari or Lamborghini powertrain than the approach used for traditional Motor City metal.

A very senior GM executive also confirmed that the new engine will be turbocharged, which will help yield a broad torque curve and maximum performance under a variety of driving conditions. The engine is expected to deliver in excess of 400 horsepower, which means a specific output in the range of 125 horsepower per liter. That’s the sort of number that would help the next-generation Vette stack up well against the likes of a Porsche 911 or Lamborghini Gallardo.

The engine is likely to be extremely high-revving, perhaps climbing to a near-Formula One-class 10,000 RPMs, suggested one source involved in the project.

The revelation tracks in line with a recent comment by General Motors’ North American President Mark Reuss, who recently promised that the so-called C7 Corvette, due to market in less than two years, will be “completely different” from the very American sports cars that have come before it. Since its launch in 1953, Corvette has been governed by the philosophy, “there’s no replacement for displacement.”

While Reuss and other senior executives have declined to discuss plans for the next Corvette publicly, several well-placed sources have given TheDetroitBureau.com a good sense of what’s to come. The small V-8 underscores what one of those insiders says is the desire to “target a very different sort of buyer for the next Corvette. Let’s face it, the current customer is getting old.” But without making significant changes, that source acknowledged, younger sports car fans will continue to be “conquested” by more modern, high-tech imports.

Significantly, Corvette won’t abandon its more classic powertrain roots entirely. There will be several different types of engines offered for the C7, including a more classic, big-block OHV V-8 designed to appeal to traditionalists.

In fact, some of the design cues of the new car will be borrowed from early generations. There have even been rumors of the C7 going with the split window of the very collectible 1963 Corvette, though TheDetroitBureau.com has not been able to confirm that that particular detail has been given the go.

Meanwhile, expect the interior to be much more modern than the current car’s, which GM’s global design chief Ed Welburn admits “is a disappointment.” The styling boss, a long-time Corvette fan himself, says he is personally overseeing the development of the C7 interior and promises it will be “absolutely world-class.”

Adopting a mid-engine layout, rather than the long-running front-engine design, is considered a strong possibility, though it would be a significant engineering shift for GM. Nonetheless, sources say that wouldn’t be entirely out of line, as the Corvette has often served as the technological test bed for the maker.

GM adopted the then-radical approach of using a fiberglass body when the original 1953 Corvette was launched. The sports car has introduced plenty of other features over the years, including the MagneRide suspension, which uses a magnetically controlled fluid to continuously vary suspension settings to match road conditions and driving behavior.

When migrating from the fifth-generation Corvette to today’s C6 model, GM trimmed weight and brought the sports car’s overall size down to something closer to that of a current Porsche 911. Anticipate further cuts in mass for the upcoming remake of Chevy’s halo car.

GM is investing $131 million in the Bowling Green, Kentucky plant that produces the Corvette to prepare for the C7 launch.

The use of the new small-displacement V-8 is likely to have some knock-on effects at GM, said one source. As with current Corvette powertrain technology, the high-tech engine will find its way into the Cadillac line-up, it appears, where it would help that brand’s V-Series evolve into a more sophisticated offering, rather than the brute-force line-up it is today.

The switch to a smaller, turbocharged V-8 isn’t exclusive to GM, incidentally. Ford made the move with its big F-Series pickup for 2011, offering a downsized EcoBoost twin-turbo V-6 — which delivers the same sort of towing power as the F-150′s biggest V-8, while yielding significant fuel economy improvements.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

The moderators are going to love you.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I guess that's going to make Z06's even more valuable as collectors in the future.
It will be interesting to see what types of mods will be available to the new powerplants.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
The moderators are going to love you.
US unemployment is up again. Jobs created in April and May were overstated AGAIN. Raazor is just trying to create jobs and help with that hope for change stuff.

IBTD
Old 06-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No thanks, sounds too much like a ricer. I'll just keep what I have.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Harley06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Thanks, I had not seen this article.

I am not opposed to the idea of the car being more inline with the F cars and the P cars.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

I want to do at least 60 in first, but we'll need much more than 400 horses to beat the GTR. Doesn't the current Cadillac XLR already make 440 supercharged horses? So we've done that. Just do it again, and better.

For the rest of the car, think Lamborghini, not Mustang/Camaro. I don't want a puffed up marshmellow taxi-cab body design.

Last edited by BRISLS1; 06-03-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this also mean that Corvette drivers need to get used to timing belt replacements and valve adjustments? Is Mr. Goodwrench prepared for that? On a mid-engine if done? Heck, most can't lift a car without cracking the rockers.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they have to do it, tighter federal emmisions are on the horizon, all manuf. are going to turn to forced induction to meet the higher standards of MPH and emmisions as well as curbing alot of fat off the autos. welcome to the age of lighter, forced induction auto's.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOTE: this would be only one of several engine OPTIONS!! I think that having engine options is a great idea. So instead of spending $20k more to get an LS7 in a base car, one could buy the traditional V8 option for that base car for only $$$ dollars. Just like back in the days of 454's, 327's & 283's, LT1's, etc. More than likely these engine options would be combined with transmission options as well! This is all a step in the right direction. NO WHERE have I read that a smaller c.i. turbo is going to be the ONLY engine choice....!!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Blaq Ops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KX
NOTE: this would be only one of several engine OPTIONS!! I think that having engine options is a great idea. So instead of spending $20k more to get an LS7 in a base car, one could buy the traditional V8 option for that base car for only $$$ dollars. Just like back in the days of 454's, 327's & 283's, LT1's, etc. More than likely these engine options would be combined with transmission options as well! This is all a step in the right direction. NO WHERE have I read that a smaller c.i. turbo is going to be the ONLY engine choice....!!
People tend to gravitate only towards the negative.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I think a high-revving Formula 1 class engine would be great. Those engines really scream.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8
My prediction: No, it won't. If any such an engine is offered, it will be another box on the option list and whether anyone will want it remains to be seen.

I don't.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:01 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Goodbye low-end torque...
Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I think a high-revving Formula 1 class engine would be great. Those engines really scream.
I really don't want a screaming engine in a corvette I like the roar and rumble of a big v8. I do like the idea of offering a big block as well though. If its a high revving turbo v8 I'll keep the c6.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Seriously, you thought you were the first to post this???!!! BTW love your new avatar, it’s the combat patch I’m wearing this week.

Get notified of new replies

To Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,244 Likes on 704 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Goodbye low-end torque...
Goodbye Corvette.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8"

Let's hope not. If so, all I can say is thank God for Lingenfelter and Katech.

Thanks to environmentalists and government regulations GM has already ruined their (gas engine) pickup truck and Suburban lineup with smaller displacement engines. I could live with that but there's not even an option for a large displacement gas engine (such as the 8.1 liter Vortec V8). Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if they ruin the Corvette as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Next Corvette Will Be Powered by Small, High-Revving Turbo V-8