C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 07:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Paint Grand Sport calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 PM
thenorthwoods
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Paint Grand Sport calipers?

My GS (when delivered) has the flat silver-aluminum looking caliper with the red letters. I do not want to spend over $200 for caliper covers but I think I would like red calipers. Has anyone painted a Grand sport caliper. I do not think the 'Corvette' letters are raised on the 2011 GS, so what can be done to keep the letters?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You cannot paint them, they need to be powder coated. Also, caliper covers don't exist for a car with such massive brakes. Even if they did, they'd be ghetto-tastic.

The fact that you want RED leads me to one conclusion - it is probably more cost effective for you to (and I know this will sound weird): sell your existing GS calipers on the forum, because I guarantee you they'll sell, and then buy a new set of Z06 calipers from one of the forum vendors. Z06 calipers are identical to your GS calipers, but they are RED.

I make this suggestion because it is most cost effective. You could have your brakes powder coated by Mike at TPC, but that will cost you roughly $450.00 to maintain the lettering. This seems like an ill advised choice when red calipers already exist and are available for purchase.

If I were to guess, I'd imagine that the transaction would take a few weeks and you could probably end up spending $100 to $200 out of pocket if your GS calipers have some miles on them. Reason being is that some will prefer the silver finish and would rather buy your calipers than buy new Z06 ones.

Last edited by GS-Zero; 06-07-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Send them to Mike the powdercoaterit's not $450, it's $350 and they will look awsome, I just had mine done in torch red. For the caliper covers , They do make them for your brakes, but why cover a nice looking caliper, they get hot enough without a cover on them.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM
TOBASCO
Le Mans Master

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts
CI 2-4-5-6-7-8-10-11-12 Vet
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by GS-Zero
You cannot paint them, they need to be powder coated. Also, caliper covers don't exist for a car with such massive brakes. Even if they did, they'd be ghetto-tastic.

The fact that you want RED leads me to one conclusion - it is probably more cost effective for you to (and I know this will sound weird): sell your existing GS calipers on the forum, because I guarantee you they'll sell, and then buy a new set of Z06 calipers from one of the forum vendors. Z06 calipers are identical to your GS calipers, but they are RED.

I make this suggestion because it is most cost effective. You could have your brakes powder coated by Mike at TPC, but that will cost you roughly $450.00 to maintain the lettering. This seems like an ill advised choice when red calipers already exist and are available for purchase.

If I were to guess, I'd imagine that the transaction would take a few weeks and you could probably end up spending $100 to $200 out of pocket if your GS calipers have some miles on them. Reason being is that some will prefer the silver finish and would rather buy your calipers than buy new Z06 ones.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by speedraider
Send them to Mike the powdercoaterit's not $450, it's $350 and they will look awsome, I just had mine done in torch red. For the caliper covers , They do make them for your brakes, but why cover a nice looking caliper, they get hot enough without a cover on them.
No, it is more like $450.00.

Mike charges $380.00 for the service and the return shipping, but you have to pay to ship them to him.

I should know, I'm getting mine back today.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:02 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Wrong and wrong

You can paint them, Ive had painted calipers on my c6 for 3 years now, look like the day I painted them

And they do make caliper covers, there is a thread about it that was posted a few days ago. They dont look horrible but i wouldnt do it
Old 06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
2slow95vert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I painted the calipers on my 95 Cobra using high heat engine paint. Had the car for a year and it held up perfect.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is a reasonable sell price for used like new gs calipers?
I would like red zo6 as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt
What is a reasonable sell price for used like new gs calipers?
I would like red zo6 as well.
I paid $600 for mine, just send yours to mike and have them coated. You will have them back in a week.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

You cannot paint them, they need to be powder coated. Also, caliper covers don't exist for a car with such massive brakes. Even if they did, they'd be ghetto-tastic. The fact that you want RED leads me to one conclusion - it is probably more cost effective for you to (and I know this will sound weird): sell your existing GS calipers on the forum, because I guarantee you they'll sell, and then buy a new set of Z06 calipers from one of the forum vendors. Z06 calipers are identical to your GS calipers, but they are RED.

Sadly,this is not true.....the existing part.

If it were me,especially seeing as the OP is in Iowa,I'd take the calipers off & send them to Mike as a winter project.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The best time to have your calipers powder coated is when your going to replace those filthy OEM brake pads with a set of ceramic pads.

Find a friend that has a small home air compressor you can borrow.

Find someone else that also want's to have there calipers powder coated too.

Split the cost of one of those cheap home powder coating guns and the powder that places like Eastwood sells with your friend.

You will have but a fraction of the cost that a professional powder coater will charge .. and powder coating something as small as a set of rotors is not that hard at all (practice on some other small part first).

I have seen DYI powder coat jobs on small parts come out just as nice as any pro job.

And last ... They say that using your home oven to bake the powder is a real bad idea, but I have also heard that if your oven has the "self cleaning" option, the oven will get so hot for such a long period of time that it will completely elliminate the smell and anything left over from your powder coat job ... Anyway, that's up to you.

You can buy the "Original Hotcoat Powder Coating Gun" from Eastwood for $99.95 + shipping. The powder is not real expensive either .. And again, hopefully, your going to split the price of all this with your friend that also want's his calipers coated.

DIY Video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7aM8ZaCg0
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
ramon1367
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it powder coated, looks awesome in your GS
Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by PolishDude
Wrong and wrong

You can paint them, Ive had painted calipers on my c6 for 3 years now, look like the day I painted them

And they do make caliper covers, there is a thread about it that was posted a few days ago. They dont look horrible but i wouldnt do it
I have also painted three different sets of calipers - with Rustoleum from Home Depot. There is no magic to it. I do agree the powder coating is a better alternative if cost is not an issue.

You do have to deal with getting the "graphics" back on - which is what Mike the Powder Coater can do for you. That would be my option - or I'd look for a set of used Z06 calipers as someone else suggested.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone on here a while ago made the photoshop files of the caliper graphics. You just need to take those files and have templets made out of them.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Someone on here a while ago made the photoshop files of the caliper graphics. You just need to take those files and have templets made out of them.

Who?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Blue Bandit
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

🐴 Just horsing around
Old 04-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

You can paint them easily, G2 and VHT make high temp caliper paint for exactly this job.

The G2 one is a brush on so it is easier to do without as much masking.

http://www.g2usa.com/
http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/caliperpaint/

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Grand Sport calipers?

Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM
easyrider7467
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get em powder coated...

By Mike.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by garye
Who?
Wow 2 years later...lol The files were of no use. They were very "wavy" and looked horrible. Contact Mike the powder coater.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Paint them save yourself some money. They will look good and hold up well.

Quick Reply: Paint Grand Sport calipers?