C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,541 Likes on 526 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?

Hi guys, really looking for insight who have driven and compared both.

CTS-V SEDAN vs Grand Sport C6 (a new coupe is just simply over my spending limits on this other car) - I have a $50k limit.

I am really torn which car to purchase - I know there's pros and cons to both and I will explain my situation and I know that I am ultimately the one who needs to decide.

I don't have any children and don't plan to have any in the immediate (5 yr) future.. so the backseats are irrelevant to me, we can take my girlfriends car if extra room is needed.

Both cars are roughly the same speed stock.. I would tune and add a CAI to the GS, and I would get an intake, pulley and tune for the CTS-V, ultimately making the CTS-V the faster car because of this and its forced induction motor.

Interior quality/looks goes to the CTS-V for sure (dash, console, seats, etc). Exterior looks wise the GS takes the cake. I love the widebody and it truly looks exotic.

The CTS-V if I purchase will be a pre-owned 2010 and cost between 48-51K ... the GS will be a 2011 new 1LT which can be had for $48,500-$50K (depending on options).

I don't care about the new vs used debate.. the V will have 10k miles max.. that doesn't matter to me.

The cars will see 11k(about) miles per year.

Couple qualms about the GS is the looming of the C7... I buy this car, and I would think 2014 would be the C7 (coming out August of 2013) - That is my guess on it.. but what if it comes out fall 2012 as a 2013 model? I would be pretty upset.

The cts-v sedan although menacing looking, to me is very different then the coupe. Coupe looks quite different - the sedan looks more typical. The GS in JSB or Inferno Orange (the 2 colors I would decide to get) is just exotic looking.

So very torn. Maybe driving both.. but I can imagine the differences and appreciate both.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Both are great cars. Is either of these going to be a daily driver? If they are then the V might be the better choice. My prior car was an STS V and when my lease was up last year I bought my 2006 C6. I like both of them, the V being special due to how fast and rare it was, the Vette is a Vette, not much more to say about that. My V was a daily driver and the C6 was to be the same. After 5 months I ended up buying another car to be my daily driver because I couldn't take the daily worrying if someone was going to back into my bumpers. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I once owned a Cadillac. If you don't mine being hosed when you go to sell it.........
otherwise go with the GS.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I sometimes regret getting the CTS and not the CTS-V-----
Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM
dironvictorious
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
Hi guys, really looking for insight who have driven and compared both.

CTS-V SEDAN vs Grand Sport C6 (a new coupe is just simply over my spending limits on this other car) - I have a $50k limit.

I am really torn which car to purchase - I know there's pros and cons to both and I will explain my situation and I know that I am ultimately the one who needs to decide.

I don't have any children and don't plan to have any in the immediate (5 yr) future.. so the backseats are irrelevant to me, we can take my girlfriends car if extra room is needed.

Both cars are roughly the same speed stock.. I would tune and add a CAI to the GS, and I would get an intake, pulley and tune for the CTS-V, ultimately making the CTS-V the faster car because of this and its forced induction motor.

Interior quality/looks goes to the CTS-V for sure (dash, console, seats, etc). Exterior looks wise the GS takes the cake. I love the widebody and it truly looks exotic.

The CTS-V if I purchase will be a pre-owned 2010 and cost between 48-51K ... the GS will be a 2011 new 1LT which can be had for $48,500-$50K (depending on options).

I don't care about the new vs used debate.. the V will have 10k miles max.. that doesn't matter to me.

The cars will see 11k(about) miles per year.

Couple qualms about the GS is the looming of the C7... I buy this car, and I would think 2014 would be the C7 (coming out August of 2013) - That is my guess on it.. but what if it comes out fall 2012 as a 2013 model? I would be pretty upset.

The cts-v sedan although menacing looking, to me is very different then the coupe. Coupe looks quite different - the sedan looks more typical. The GS in JSB or Inferno Orange (the 2 colors I would decide to get) is just exotic looking.

So very torn. Maybe driving both.. but I can imagine the differences and appreciate both.
I have a 2007 C6 (LS2) and a 2010 CTS-V, both with 6 speed automatic and magnetic ride control.

The V is significantly faster - in terms of straight line acceleration. However, an LS3 vette is arguably as fast, if not faster.

Both will do the 1/4 mile in low 12's if not high 11's, where LS2 cars (like mine) are mid 12's. The LS2 is freer revving than the LSA (v engine), and has a more linear (smooth) power curve. LSA is absolutely brutal with instant torque. The LS3 closes the power/torque gap a bit.

With magnetic ride control the vette rides well, and after upgrading to Michelin PS2's has tremendous grip.

The vette is also more toss-able than the V. However, I actually find the V's steering to be quicker and lighter - and thus easier to drive with precision.

I believe newer vette's have an improved steering rack. So this difference/advantage might no longer apply.

Magnetic Ride Control is optional the vette (F55), but standard on all V's.

In tour mode, the V has better ride quality (smoothness), than the vette. In sport mode, the V still has a slight edge over the vette- even as compared to vette tour mode.

As a daily driver, the vette in some ways is more practical.

Vette's get better gas mileage. You can easily manage 30mpg on the highway, where the V is lucky to see low 20's. And despite being a sports car, the vette seems to handle poor roads better. I have loss a few tires on the V, to potholes (side wall bulge).

Granted I drive the V over worse roads, but it also has even lower profile front tires, comes with non runflats, and is over a 1000lbs heavier.

I am in the Northeast, and this has been one worse pothole seasons - so none of that may be an issue for you.

The vette also has surprisingly good cargo room, under neath the hatch.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

We have both. For a daily driver, the V is tops. For long trips you just can't beat the Corvette. That is how we use them.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Is this a joke...ones a sports car and the other is not...period
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

This is like trying to compare a pure breed Racehorse to a F*ing donkey.

I had an 08 STS (granted not the -V) with every bell and whistle on it, and I grew to absolutely hate it! Took me nearly 2 months to sell it and I took a very dirty bath on it. Never again!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:01 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dironvictorious
I have a 2007 C6 (LS2) and a 2010 CTS-V, both with 6 speed automatic and magnetic ride control.

The V is significantly faster - in terms of straight line acceleration. However, an LS3 vette is arguably as fast, if not faster.

Both will do the 1/4 mile in low 12's if not high 11's, where LS2 cars (like mine) are mid 12's. The LS2 is freer revving than the LSA (v engine), and has a more linear (smooth) power curve. LSA is absolutely brutal with instant torque. The LS3 closes the power/torque gap a bit.

With magnetic ride control the vette rides well, and after upgrading to Michelin PS2's has tremendous grip.

The vette is also more toss-able than the V. However, I actually find the V's steering to be quicker and lighter - and thus easier to drive with precision.

I believe newer vette's have an improved steering rack. So this difference/advantage might no longer apply.

Magnetic Ride Control is optional the vette (F55), but standard on all V's.

In tour mode, the V has better ride quality (smoothness), than the vette. In sport mode, the V still has a slight edge over the vette- even as compared to vette tour mode.

As a daily driver, the vette in some ways is more practical.

Vette's get better gas mileage. You can easily manage 30mpg on the highway, where the V is lucky to see low 20's. And despite being a sports car, the vette seems to handle poor roads better. I have loss a few tires on the V, to potholes (side wall bulge).

Granted I drive the V over worse roads, but it also has even lower profile front tires, comes with non runflats, and is over a 1000lbs heavier.

I am in the Northeast, and this has been one worse pothole seasons - so none of that may be an issue for you.

The vette also has surprisingly good cargo room, under neath the hatch.
As long as the Vette is (1) an LS3, (2) equipped with the F55 suspension and none other, and (3) equipped with Michelin ZP tires, not the OEM Goodyears.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by troller399
Is this a joke...ones a sports car and the other is not...period
Not even in the same League.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

A CTSV is not your grandpa's caddy....

I say go with the CTSV over a GS.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Mykill Myers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have the option to own both.
I have an 09 and now my daughter has come to live with us. Having to do it over, Id get a -V instead of my vette so that the whole family could drive together at once.

I do love to take the roof off the vette. Id miss that on the -V

OP which version of seats are in the cts-v you are looking at. I personally loved the Recaros. I found a 09 that had the base seats and hated them on a test drive. I passed on buying it because of this and got my vette instead. If I was going to track down a V2 -V it would need to be stick and have the Recaros. Make sure if you can you try out one with both versions of seats.

Its obvious by some of the replies some people havent driven a version 2 CTS-V. Silly fast car.

Last edited by Mykill Myers; 06-10-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Roidz
Pro

Originally Posted by diyguy
This is like trying to compare a pure breed Racehorse to a F*ing donkey.

I will have to disagree, respectfully of course.

Op, I think we can all tell you our opinion, but the best way to decide is to go drive em both and decide, but report back. I'm curious on what you decide.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Roidz
I will have to disagree, respectfully of course.

Op, I think we can all tell you our opinion, but the best way to decide is to go drive em both and decide, but report back. I'm curious on what you decide.
I have no interest in it PERIOD! I wanted a VETTE not a Sedan
Old 06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
JWell
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

when my wife and I have a kid I plan to trade the Vette for a CTS-V
Old 06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Roidz
Pro

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
I have no interest in it PERIOD! I wanted a VETTE not a Sedan
That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, but I was helping out the op that IS interested in a sedan.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Roidz
That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion, but I was helping out the op that IS interested in a sedan.
That's cool I would think the majority of a people Buying a Vette are not also considering a 4 door sedan

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:58 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Where is that CTS-V forum...
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

NOPE...

Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,541 Likes on 526 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

As I noted in my post, I know they are VERY different. I am a car guy. I love all types, verts, sedans, coupes... so for me it isn't I want a 2 seater sports car or I need a sedan. I appreciate both cars and what they offer.

I will agree that some replies are people who have not gotten behind the wheel of an 09+ CTS-V.

I have driven an 08 LS3 (I think the GS is a little quicker), and I have driven the 09 cts-v (buddy is a chief editor for an auto mag, and let me take it for a spin shh ) - Like I said, I appreciate both cars... The V I would get in auto, just seems right - the GS, no questions asked - MN6!

The car will be a daily driver... I have a 25 minute, 20 mile commute M-F which is 85% highway. I hear the 1 poster on the potholes!!! I am in NJ, definitely the worst season I can recall.

I went to look at a Grand Sport today (1st time seeing it in person). It is gorgeous/exotic. Then I pop up pics of the cts-v and the interior is amazing.

I believe the GS and the cts-v are pretty much neck and neck stock in all capacities performance wise. However like I said, for the roughly $1000 on intake/tune for the GS, for $1000 pulley swap, tune on the CTS-V, the V will be much quicker I believe.

Quick Reply: Anyone recently purchase a GS or any 2010-2011 C6 and regret not getting the CTS-V?