C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable NPP? (disable to mild, not wild)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Monts
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Instead of wireing the valves shut when you want the exhaust quiet all the time .... See my post above

With what I posted ... You can keep the valves open or closed all the time with a flick of a switch.

Don't you think that's better than getting some wire and wiring the valves either open or closed?

(not to mention that you will need to carry a set of wire cutters with you all the time if you want to change the exhaust sound) .... bad idea
I agreed with your post above but think that the ultimate would be 3rd position on a switch for the stock NPP setting, loud when you reach 3,500, in addition to your all the time off or all the time on.

Wiring the valves shut to keep it quiet was in response to pulling the vacuum lines, which wouldn't work. The wire would work but not a very elegant solution compared to what you and I are talking about.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by micfil01
I'm aware this is sacrilege to some, but I'd like to disable the "wild" part of NPP...
STEALTH mode in a Corvette?

I bet you use it just a few times, then never again.

Anyway, definitely keep the NPP system.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Someone makes a screw on to hold them open part of the way not sure if it could be used to close them all the time.
z51vett
Old 06-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Not sure why this is an issue. Just use the stock setup. How many times are you going to be over 3500 rpm on the street? Not many. No room to run the car that hard.

Bill
Old 06-11-2011, 01:36 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
Someone makes a screw on to hold them open part of the way not sure if it could be used to close them all the time.
z51vett
What you are talking about is the use of split stainless steel split collars you clamp around the actuating rods that close the valves. You can position them so the rods don't close the valves completely under the influence of engine vacuumn; but this wouldn't enable you to keep the valves in the closed position.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well...

Just cap the controlled vacuum port, and connect to full time vacuum. DONE. If you WANT to switch on and off install NPP in a box. Simple! Ok mine is open 98% of the time... but it is nice sometimes to have quiet.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure why this is an issue. Just use the stock setup. How many times are you going to be over 3500 rpm on the street? Not many. No room to run the car that hard.

Bill
I completely disagree with that.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Bbutler2001
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did you ever get the information on how to install this relay?

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
And that is the problem with the M2W that people are buying and installing on there cars that came with the NPP option ...

You install the M2W and select the Wild ... You have loud pipes all the time (ok, that's great)

But, if you select Mild, it's the same as the stock NPP ... It's Quiet until a certain RPM and engine load is reached. Then it goes to Loud automatically!

Now what I want is simple:

1. Select Wild ... the pipes are Loud ... no matter what the RPM or engine load is. (muffler valves always open)

2. Select Mild ... the pipes are Quiet ... no matter what the RPM or engine load is. (muffler valves always closed)

And there is a $25 fix that will do just that. A friend of mine wired his NPP to a simple relay and a switch that has 2 positions. One is Loud all the time. The other is Quiet all the time.

In 2 weeks, I am going to be seeing him and wire my NPP the same way ... After, I will post a How-To, and exactly what you need to buy to do this simple mod.

Anyway, for me, that's how I would like the NPP sytem to work.

Ron,
Did you ever post how to install this relay?
Old 04-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Jentgens
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your post you talk about a switch to control the NPP valves. Can you please give me the details?
Old 04-28-2021, 09:20 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Jentgens
In your post you talk about a switch to control the NPP valves. Can you please give me the details?
This is the device https://www.pfyc.com/GN8100.html
To use this one car needs to have NPP option.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:39 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Jentgens
Welcome to the forum.

Since you are new, when you do searches, look at the date of the post and the name of the poster you intend to question. Use the "submit reply" button to reply directly to that person and/or to the general subject, but be aware that posts older than a few months will not serve you as well as creating a new thread with your question.

It will also be to your benefit to fill out your profile, so members don't have to ask you lots of questions before they can answer the specific question you posted.

Quick Reply: Disable NPP? (disable to mild, not wild)