C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**FS C6 Heavy Duty Seat Bottom Foam *only $69 shipped.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 04:19 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Mine arrived today. Super fast shipping, Thanks!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 562 Likes on 322 Posts

So does anyone plan on posting pics of their project and finished product?
Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default I did it... my lessons learned - Heavy Duty Seat Foam Replacement

Well, I bought the Heavy Duty Seat Bottom Foam replacement, received in 3 days, perfect service, just as ordered. Initial feel was that it is indeed a higher quality than the factory original (I have a 2006), however, in a "foam to foam" comparison, it did not feel that much stiffer...felt about "1 click" firmer. Well, although I love the firmness, let me tell you all, it is indeed MUCH firmer once installed. I think that's a good thing, but something all should know going in. Only 2 (what I view as) errors in the instructions.... 1) there are an additional 3 hog rings on each side at the rear of the seat (total 6 beyond the 3 at the back they discuss) that are not discussed in the instructions.... upon install, I also replaced them with tie wraps (which I feel are actually better than the hog rings); 2) One of the final steps states to "Cable tie bottom flap to horizontal spring rod".... I think that is an error, as doing so would, I think, change the distance as the seat moves up and down... accordingly, I tied the tie wraps to the rear most seat spring cross bar (underneath the seat, right below the new foam). Actually, for me, the most difficult and time consuming part was removing the seat itself out of the vehicle (for which I used the Shop / Service Manual). CAUTIONS: A) Be sure to not tie wrap around any movable parts, B) be sure to disconnect the battery in order to ensure the air bag won't trigger, C) but before cutting the electricity, move the seat as high as it will go, and about 1/2 way between full forward and full rearward, in order to easily get at both the front and rear floor bolts, and to make disconnecting the connectors easier to get at, and 4) place a towel over the sill to ensure no scratches. All in all, the seat now looks new, albeit a little firmer (as previously discussed). I think it's firmer due to several factors: - The foam itself is a little denser / better quality, - the new foam has a blue piece of material or something below the seat that may also be increasing the firmness, - the leather strips on the sides over the frame keep the frame from digging into the foam, - and lastly, I may have tied and fastened the leather skin so tightly that maybe that is also adding to the firmness. This was my first time ever doing any upholstery type job, and I was successful 1st time out... even checked and all seat functions are working, as is the heated seat (just used carpet adhesive, worked fine). Also note that, per the Shop / Service Manual, if one does the PASSENGER side, then one has to recalibrate the "Passenger Presence System", which requires the SCAN tool, which I doubt many people have. OK, I think that's about it, just wanted to share the experience.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvet6
Well, I bought the Heavy Duty Seat Bottom Foam replacement, received in 3 days, perfect service, just as ordered. Initial feel was that it is indeed a higher quality than the factory original (I have a 2006), however, in a "foam to foam" comparison, it did not feel that much stiffer...felt about "1 click" firmer. Well, although I love the firmness, let me tell you all, it is indeed MUCH firmer once installed. I think that's a good thing, but something all should know going in. Only 2 (what I view as) errors in the instructions.... 1) there are an additional 3 hog rings on each side at the rear of the seat (total 6 beyond the 3 at the back they discuss) that are not discussed in the instructions.... upon install, I also replaced them with tie wraps (which I feel are actually better than the hog rings); 2) One of the final steps states to "Cable tie bottom flap to horizontal spring rod".... I think that is an error, as doing so would, I think, change the distance as the seat moves up and down... accordingly, I tied the tie wraps to the rear most seat spring cross bar (underneath the seat, right below the new foam). Actually, for me, the most difficult and time consuming part was removing the seat itself out of the vehicle (for which I used the Shop / Service Manual). CAUTIONS: A) Be sure to not tie wrap around any movable parts, B) be sure to disconnect the battery in order to ensure the air bag won't trigger, C) but before cutting the electricity, move the seat as high as it will go, and about 1/2 way between full forward and full rearward, in order to easily get at both the front and rear floor bolts, and to make disconnecting the connectors easier to get at, and 4) place a towel over the sill to ensure no scratches. All in all, the seat now looks new, albeit a little firmer (as previously discussed). I think it's firmer due to several factors: - The foam itself is a little denser / better quality, - the new foam has a blue piece of material or something below the seat that may also be increasing the firmness, - the leather strips on the sides over the frame keep the frame from digging into the foam, - and lastly, I may have tied and fastened the leather skin so tightly that maybe that is also adding to the firmness. This was my first time ever doing any upholstery type job, and I was successful 1st time out... even checked and all seat functions are working, as is the heated seat (just used carpet adhesive, worked fine). Also note that, per the Shop / Service Manual, if one does the PASSENGER side, then one has to recalibrate the "Passenger Presence System", which requires the SCAN tool, which I doubt many people have. OK, I think that's about it, just wanted to share the experience.
Thanks for the writeup!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

That was good write up. As to the hog rings..I've seen 4 rings on some seats and about a dozen on others so I guess during some manufacturing they get trigger happy with the equipment. The density of ours has a fuller load of foam meaning less air and it actually weighs about twice of a stock one but the feel is just a notch stiffer so not to be to hard.

David
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 PM
NTRBL33
Le Mans Master

Location: The United States of TEXAS www.corvettemotorsportsinc.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Ttt
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ttt
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 PM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

ttt
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

How long does it take start to finish for the DIY?
Approx.?
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Also do you sell the backing? My stock backing isnt very comforable, its normal stock vette seating nothing is worn down but Id still like to make it feel more like the seats in my silverado LTZ
Old 09-23-2011, 06:34 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra
How long does it take start to finish for the DIY?
Approx.?
I received mine about two weeks ago and tackled the job last weekend. Took me about 2 hours start to finish for the drivers seat. I was slow and deliberate, so it's likely somebody can do it much faster. The only part that took a little effort was determining exactly how much foam to cut out around the seat adjustment switches so that they would fit, but the leather would still be full and snug around them. Otherwise, it is a very well done piece, fits perfectly, and feels much better under my rear end than the factory piece I took out of my 2007. Its a great investment in my mind.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra
Also do you sell the backing? My stock backing isnt very comforable, its normal stock vette seating nothing is worn down but Id still like to make it feel more like the seats in my silverado LTZ
We do not have the back insert piece. It was too expensive to make mold and min order qty.

David
Old 09-25-2011, 09:12 AM
NTRBL33
Le Mans Master

Location: The United States of TEXAS www.corvettemotorsportsinc.com
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Ttt
Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ttt
Old 10-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

My C5 bottom seat foam is on its way and should be here tuesday, I already have the seat taken apart and the old foam taken out. Wow this stock foam is way too soft and has no cushining.
To take the seat out and get it broken down to be ready to install the new one took me 20min
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tagged for winter project.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To **FS C6 Heavy Duty Seat Bottom Foam *only $69 shipped.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvet6
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm? Could this be the reason my passenger airbag light comes on every once in a while? I did remove the seat completely when I installed dynomat. Any way great write up and I'm going to order for both seats.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Dave post office was closed today because of the holiday, thatll be going out to you tomorrow and Ill do the paypal tonight or tomorrow if I don't forget to do it tonight
Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 PM
jrrjbl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just placed order for my new 11 GS, great car, bad back , terrible seats. David sure hope this works. Have upholsterer who is doing it for $30

Quick Reply: **FS C6 Heavy Duty Seat Bottom Foam *only $69 shipped.