C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport hood scoop

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Grand Sport hood scoop

Has anyone made the hood scoop functional and is the Z06 functional.Seems like it would give you a couple of horses
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

It is functional as well as the Z06 scoop.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 AM
ontcanuck
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 58 Posts

I just took a look again and yes I saw a opening but it must only be about a 1/2" and you really have to look hard to see it.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:51 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The scoop is functional, but it is designed, no so much to increase the amount of air to the air breather, but to allow for cooler air to the air breather. Because of water ingestion concerns, GM designed the duct so it diffuses the air flow as to allow the cooler air in,but not any water
The following users liked this post:
Sox-Fan (05-08-2019)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's mostly created for the looks - the car doesn't really need it there, it doesn't perform better with it there... however, it does probably aid a tiny bit with cooling as it is open (albeit barely open)...

Personally I HATE fake scoops, brake vents, fender ports, etc... even the fake grill mesh most cars have these days really make me cringe. I have no idea why the manufacturers love them so much, cars usually look better without fake plastic bits on them, but yet when you look at just about any car out there, it's got a fake something or other...
Steel City (05-08-2019)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The hood scoop on the Z06 (as well as the Grand Sport) is 100% functional for it's designed intent.

It is there to equalize air intake (make-up air) to balance out the air drawn out of the engine compartment by the heat extractor vents (side gills). Just as your home air conditioning system needs to have vents in strategic places around the home to feed air back in to the system. Without air in, you eventually won't get air out.

The idea was to make it as small as possible to not add a drag penalty and negatively affect aerodynamics any more than necessary. At speed, the gills on the side of the car draw air (due to pressure differential) out of the engine compartment to help lower air temperature both for engine cooling as well as cooler air available for the intake. The front opening allows air to enter the engine compartment to make up for the air drawn out by the side openings without adding too much of a drag penalty to the overall aero performance of the car. It is a balancing act.

Last edited by talon90; 07-12-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by talon90:
DailyDriven (06-17-2023), ontime (05-08-2019), SPSandman (05-08-2019)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ohmy
I think it's mostly created for the looks - the car doesn't really need it there, it doesn't perform better with it there... however, it does probably aid a tiny bit with cooling as it is open (albeit barely open)...

Personally I HATE fake scoops, brake vents, fender ports, etc... even the fake grill mesh most cars have these days really make me cringe. I have no idea why the manufacturers love them so much, cars usually look better without fake plastic bits on them, but yet when you look at just about any car out there, it's got a fake something or other...
....for the most part form should follow function.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by talon90
...It is there to equalize air intake (make-up air) to balance out the air drawn out of the engine compartment by the heat extractor vents (side gills)....
Talon, I'm not saying you're wrong, but doesn't it seem like there would be plenty of air coming in from bottom of the car to make up for the air lost out the side vents?

Last edited by ohmy; 07-12-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Talon, I'm not saying you're wrong, but doesn't it seem like there would be plenty of air coming in from bottom of the car to make up for the air lost out the side vents?
Understand. Not trying to sell you on anything. I know where my information comes from. It is what it is and folks can either choose to believe it or not, not much more I can offer to convince.

From the Z06 press release:

Quote:
Previous Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and/or engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. Not surprisingly, the specs for the ’06 read like the blueprint of a champion. They include:

LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 with lightweight reciprocating components
500 horsepower (373 kw) at6200 rpm
475 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) at 4800 rpm
7000 rpm redline
Titanium connecting rods and intake valves
Dry-sump engine lubrication system
Engine hand-built at GM’s new Performance Build Center
Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium front cradle
Fixed roof design optimizes body rigidity and aerodynamics
Carbon-fiber composite front fenders and front wheelhouses
Unique front fascia incorporating a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter Wide-body rear fenders and a unique rear spoiler incorporated with the CHMSL
Huge 14-inch (355-mm) cross-drilled front disc brakes with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340-mm) cross-drilled rear rotors with four-piston calipers
18 x 9.5-inch front wheels with 275/35ZR18 tires and 19 x 12-inch rear wheels with 325/30ZR19 tires
3-inch-diameter exhaust with bi-mode mufflers and larger polished stainless steel tips
Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers; and steering cooler
Rear-mounted battery to improve weight distribution
Unique interior features including revised gauge cluster and lightweight two-tone seats with more aggressive bolsters
Curb weight of 3130 pounds / 1419.7 kg (estimated)
3 inches (76.2 mm) wider than other Corvette models
Vehicle developed simultaneously with C6-R racecar.

The new Z06 has an unmistakable and aggressive appearance, with design cues that include:

A wide front fascia with a large, forward-facing grille opening, a splitter along the bottom and “Gurney lips” along the sides to provide aerodynamic downforce
A cold air scoop in front of the hood that integrates an air inlet system for the engine The trailing edge of the front wheel opening is radiused to achieve improved drag, but protects the body finish with a tough molding, and a large air extractor is located behind the wheel
A fixed-roof bodystyle optimizes body rigidity and aerodynamics
Wider rear fenders with flares cover the massive rear tires and a brake cooling scoop in front of the wheels visually balances the fender extractor
A tall rear spoiler houses the CHMSL on the top of the rear fascia
10-spoke wheels
Four larger stainless steel exhaust outlets
New-design Z06 badging on the front fenders
The following 2 users liked this post by talon90:
MNcorvetteC6 (01-15-2021), SPSandman (05-08-2019)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

On the Z06/ZR1 and the GS, 100% of the air goes through the front grille and the small scoop. The air that flows through the small scoop is directed to the air breather compartment where it is consumed by the engine, and therefore is exhausted through the tail pipes at the rear of the car. The air that passes through the grille flows through the oil cooler, the A/C condenser and the radiator. This air does not flow directly onto the air breather but into the engine compartment where it is exits through the fender openings and also under the car. The radiator shroud separates the air breather compartment from the engine compartment except at the very top. The addition of a Halltech Beehive, is beneficial, as it almost totally separates the two compartments.

On all C6's there are small openings at the bottom of the shroud to allow air to get to the air breather compartment. At idle, some air from the engine compartment can move over the top of the radiator into the air breather compartment, but once the car is in forward motion, the air breather gets it's air from the openings at the very bottom of the shroud and, in the Z06/ZR1/GS, through the front fascia scoop. Again, the front scoop is intended for the purpose of getting cooler air to the air breather, not to increase the volume of air. You can tape over the scoop, and the engine will still get all the air it needs to rev to 7,000 RPM.

As far as aero, the small scoop actually gives the car's front end some additional down force, as the recessed area of the nose, directly in front of the scoop's opening, is a high pressure area. Increased drag is minimal at the scoop's opening.

As I posted last year on the same subject.

From Dave Hill presentation on the C6 Z06 at the registry birthday Bash in Bowling Green, KY in early 2005.

"Front fascia scoop operable and testing shows main benefit is to reduce air temperature entering engine...not so much to increase airflow due to bends in design necessary to eliminate possibility of water ingestion"

Straight from Dave Hill's mouth to the doubter's ears.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-12-2011 at 11:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
MNcorvetteC6 (01-15-2021), SPSandman (05-08-2019)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Like the guy below says - it's FUNCTIONAL!!!!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 07-12-2011 at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
billmoore48 (01-15-2021), sonik_fury (08-27-2023)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL Bob!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 AM
Tahoe
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my intake shroud hooked up to the scoop w/ K&N filter in the stock filter housing. Works for me...
2011 G.S. - AR Headers/6M/NPP/MGW shifter/chipped - 430 rwhp
Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Tahoe
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a shroud on my 2011 GS. The hood scoop was engineered by GM to improve air flow into engine compartment (side vent gills exhaust hot air). I do not know how much CFM the scoop flows through the shroud into the throttle body, since the shroud somewhat isolates the scoop. Once installed the shroud cuts off airflow for cooling the engine compartment. I welcome discussion about the fully enclosed shroud ($85 on eBay) from anyone with specific tech knowledge about this. Thank you
Old 05-08-2019, 04:05 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've also got a 2010 GS with a shroud. I'd rather use whatever cooler air is coming in to feed the engine rather than the engine compartment. It's not like the bottom of the engine bay is sealed at the bottom, I'm sure it flows a ton of air down there and I'm doubting that the small scoop in the front would have any noticeable difference compared to the massive opening on the underside of the engine. Also the large opening for the radiator (below the grill) is flowing a ton of air. Again, I'm using the shroud to feed the engine and wanting to keep as much hot air out of my intake as possible.
Tahoe (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Beef97
I've also got a 2010 GS with a shroud. I'd rather use whatever cooler air is coming in to feed the engine rather than the engine compartment. It's not like the bottom of the engine bay is sealed at the bottom, I'm sure it flows a ton of air down there and I'm doubting that the small scoop in the front would have any noticeable difference compared to the massive opening on the underside of the engine. Also the large opening for the radiator (below the grill) is flowing a ton of air. Again, I'm using the shroud to feed the engine and wanting to keep as much hot air out of my intake as possible.
What large opening below the radiator? Mine is blocked off, the car is a front breather, not a bottom breather. The base model and the Z-51 optioned cars are bottom breathers.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport hood scoop

Old 05-08-2019, 09:34 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe
I have my intake shroud hooked up to the scoop w/ K&N filter in the stock filter housing. Works for me...
2011 G.S. - AR Headers/6M/NPP/MGW shifter/CHIPPED - 430 rwhp
What’s “chipped”? Paint?
Old 05-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Steel City
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

i think it's mostly created for the looks - the car doesn't really need it there, it doesn't perform better with it there... However, it does probably aid a tiny bit with cooling as it is open (albeit barely open)...

Personally i hate fake scoops, brake vents, fender ports, etc... Even the fake grill mesh most cars have these days really make me cringe. I have no idea why the manufacturers love them so much, cars usually look better without fake plastic bits on them, but yet when you look at just about any car out there, it's got a fake something or other...
Exactly!

Last edited by Steel City; 05-08-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel City
Exactly!
Good thing they aren't fake on the GS and Z06.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport hood scoop