C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 LS3 A6 -Stalls? On Hard Accel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:27 PM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default '08 LS3 A6 -Stalls? On Hard Accel

Heya-

We have an '08 paddle shift LS3 Corvette... for the third time now the car seems to stall/hesitate for what seems like forever before it will take off/downshift

Here is today's scenario... merging into from an offramp at about 25 mph with wheels slightly turned, oncoming car comes out of nowhere at well above speed limit of 55 mph, car is not slowing down so the pedal goes to the floor. Car seems like it stalls with no power- lift gas and stomp again and it finally takes off like a monster as desired. To our recollection no traction control/active handling message on the dash/hud. This is the third time this has happened so far in similar situations- very unsettling and dangerous.

Any insights? The car has only 6,400 miles btw.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Might want to look into a tune. Automatics have a tendency to have some sort of delay. I've heard great things about the chuck cow tune.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Interesting...Lets us know the outcome...jmho I have never driven/owned a auto Vette, but when accelerating with my 6sp I dont floor the go pedal I modulate/vary my inputs..I read on this forum a few years back that the gas pedal is not a light switch...Good luck OP
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

My 07 coupe does the same thing. From what I have read in other posts it's the computer performing torque management (shutting off the engine basically) while it figures out which gear to put the car in. I, like the poster above, have found that I get much better results by pushing the throttle down a little slower. The transmission will successively downshift until the engine is screaming as hard as you like.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

My 07 does odd things similar to this also. The scenario is that the wheel is turned and I floor it. Some have said that the car is protecting me from wiping out as the rear would normally kick out and cause a spin due to the direction of the steering wheel.

I also let up off the gas but the RPMs hang at around 5K or 6K and it does not immediately downshift when I lift off the pedal.

My last experience with something like this was with my 82 camaro and it did that due to not enough trans fluid. I don't think this is the case here. It is hard to see the dash lights at times as they don't stay on very long and they are small and out of the line of sight.

Either this is normal, or this is a common fault/problem.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never experienced this in my 07, but have seen similar threads here stating the same thing as the OP.

IMO, it's the torque management saving your ***. Why would you floor the accelerator?

Without torque management, at 25 MPH with front wheels turned and 400 lb/ft of torque and flooring it you would be doing doughnuts down the highway.

I usually just tip-in the throttle, it downshifts and away I go.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies we will have to look at the torque management... it has happened before at less than wide open throttle.

I probably shouldn't go down this road and you may be right but 400 ft-lbs without computer interference really isn't that much.... my old 5.0 coupe had more than that at the rear wheels and it only had 245/50/16 tires in a compound much less sticky than the corvettes... a little sideways action can be brought back most times unless you are on ice/grease and the corvette is much more balanced than my old mustang... my c5z is like a ballerina it is so controllable in these situations....on the other hand "stalling" via computer-intervention like this will result in being rear-ended much sooner than later.

Do not take from this thread that we are some reckless teenage drivers... I drive faster in my wife's acura RL than I do in the corvette and used to take corners harder in her old rsx-s- I drive like a grandmother most days- really my wife will stick her hand out the window to see if she can feel the wind moving- this post was started to determine what this phenomenon was to try and prevent it from occurring in the future.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like normal behavior.

This guy had a fit at his dealer, trying to fix it:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...blem-help.html

You can improve response:
-- turn-off t/c (press the button on the console only once)
-- engage "competitive driving mode" (press the button twice)
-- turn off t/c and a/h (press the button for 5 seconds)

More details on pgs 4-6 to 4-9 in the owners manual: http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...08corvette.pdf

Just be careful. 430hp is a lot in a 3500 lb car... very easy to lose control without the nannies.

Back in the '60's, we had to stomp on the gas to get a downshift. Those mechanical linkages are long gone.

You'll get better results in your C6 with smooth inputs. It's safer and your car will last longer.

Lots of folks are MUCH happier with their C6 after a tune. But I won't consider a tune as long as I'm under warranty.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank goodness I have a stick!!!

JK

It seems from many of the replies that its nothing major... Let us know.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:44 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have seen this kind of hesitation as well but like was mentioned above if you press the throttle in slightly you will see that it will still accelerate fairly quickly. Also if I use the paddles and pound the throttle, the response seems to be quicker (i.e. taking off in 2nd).
Old 07-12-2011, 10:53 PM
chevybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have this issue even with a Chuck CoW transmission tune. I have been told you have to learn to "roll" your foot into the accelerator. The car screams once it finds the gear to be in.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 PM
5clubLS2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pTr73
Thank goodness I have a stick!!!

JK

It seems from many of the replies that its nothing major... Let us know.
Agreed!!! i waited months before i bought my vette just because i want a 6sp
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 PM
TLTONEY
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It has happened to me twice now, and that is with a ECS tune(there is no problem with my tune ). It is just the computer having a "oh sh!+" moment and thinking you are about to make a million little pieces of plastic out of one big piece of plastic! You have to be carefull when running in full "nanny" mode and stomp on it. Like the previous poster said, "you have to roll on it" unless you turn off the TCS.

Get notified of new replies

To '08 LS3 A6 -Stalls? On Hard Accel

Quick Reply: '08 LS3 A6 -Stalls? On Hard Accel