C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC making loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC making loud noise

I live in FL and it's extremely hot down here. Especially when I get in my black c6 coupe after work. I was driving home yesterday with the A/C on, and all of a sudden the air got loud, like this loud buzzing sound. I'm not talking about it getting loud because the A/C was on max. It's this loud buzzing kind of a humming sound. I plan on taking it to the dealer, as it's a certified preowned vette that came with a 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. So I'm assuming this will be covered. I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also have the humming/moaning sound/feel on my clutch pedal with the a/c on. been over a year, since it still blows cold air. too scared of $ to have dealer take a look at it. let me know what they fix on yours
Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Will do.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
JB'sVETTE
Instructor

Just took my 05 in due to ac problems. Had to replace temperture contol head unit, condenser, actuator motor and another part that controls the air direction. Total cost $2,800. Good thing I purchased an extended warranty. My cost was $250.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Glad to hear you’ll be getting your Vette to the dealership. Let us know how it goes there.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM
bklyn vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the same thing happened to me a long time ago the buzzing or humming noise is the cowl for some reason it warps and the noise will drive you crazy...put a piece of 2" masking tape on the top of the cowl and windshield go for a ride if the noise stops ...presto you problem solved good luck mine would do it at highway speeds
Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Glad to hear you’ll be getting your Vette to the dealership. Let us know how it goes there.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
This should be covered under the 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty I got with the car because it's certified pre-owned, right? I took it in because the top was crazing, not thinking they would replace that, but they did with no questions asked. I was shocked I got a new glass top under that warranty.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by bklyn vette
the same thing happened to me a long time ago the buzzing or humming noise is the cowl for some reason it warps and the noise will drive you crazy...put a piece of 2" masking tape on the top of the cowl and windshield go for a ride if the noise stops ...presto you problem solved good luck mine would do it at highway speeds
I hate to have to ask this, but what exactl is the cowl?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:35 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6500
i also have the humming/moaning sound/feel on my clutch pedal with the a/c on. been over a year, since it still blows cold air. too scared of $ to have dealer take a look at it. let me know what they fix on yours
Have the same thing everytime I depress and release the clutch. I've done some reading and it's quite common.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 PM
bklyn vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the cowl is the piece of plastic right under the windshield where the wipers are...the whole piece across
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
itshervette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Does the noise get quieter if you turn the blower speed down & louder when turned up? I had this happen...had a napkin, from the glove box, get sucked into the fan.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:07 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Let us know what the sound was.

Yes, leave (napkin - like above) could have entered the box and is makeing a noise. Was a common C5 issue. In C5 one removed the box cover under the passenger dash for access...fairly easy to do. You could try removing the cabin filter and vacuuming as a quick attempt at fixing if it is this issue.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:30 AM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by itshervette
Does the noise get quieter if you turn the blower speed down & louder when turned up? I had this happen...had a napkin, from the glove box, get sucked into the fan.
Yeah, if I have it on 60 and the fan at high, it gets louder then if it's on low. And I do keep napkins in my glove box just in case. You never know when you might need to wipe somehting up. How in the world can a napkin from the glove box get sucked into the AC though? I didn't realize that was possible.

IF I take everything out of my glove box and the cabin filter should I be able to find the problem, if it was in fact a napkin that got stuck?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM
JB'sVETTE
Instructor

I took my Vette in to have the A/C servuced and oil change. The technician was not very careful, he scratched and scarred my seats in several places. I've emailed service manager but have not heard back. What do you suggest?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gilla81
This should be covered under the 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty I got with the car because it's certified pre-owned, right? I took it in because the top was crazing, not thinking they would replace that, but they did with no questions asked. I was shocked I got a new glass top under that warranty.
That’s hard for me to answer because I’m not sure what’s technically wrong with it but under normal circumstances Air Conditioning Control Systems are covered under 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. Just be sure to check with your dealership.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by JB'sVETTE
I took my Vette in to have the A/C servuced and oil change. The technician was not very careful, he scratched and scarred my seats in several places. I've emailed service manager but have not heard back. What do you suggest?
Sorry to hear about what happened at your dealership! How long ago did you email the service manager? If you’d like, I can set you up a dealer complaint case so this can be looked into by customer assistance. Send me a PM if you’re interested.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 12-22-2012, 12:40 PM
PUNISHERC6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by bklyn vette
where exactly did you put the tape and did you have to remove the cowl cover in order to do this...this buzzing is driving me insane and the dealership I bought the car from is totally inadequate!!!! I wish Ford built the Corvette, at least the service would be way better!!!

Get notified of new replies

To AC making loud noise

Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

PUNISHERC6,
If you are unable to resolve your concern, feel free to reach out to me or Evan. We would be happy to look into this for you. You can contact me via email at well at tricia_marie@gmexpert.com. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Evan).
Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 183 Posts

Hey guys, my Corvette is making the A/C noise when I press the clutch in at low speeds. What's the root cause of this issue???
Old 08-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Hey guys, my Corvette is making the A/C noise when I press the clutch in at low speeds. What's the root cause of this issue???
My sincere apologies to read of your displeasing A/C noises. Although you're seeking thoughts and opinions, if you feel an official GM diagnosis is necessary, I'd be happy to communicate your sentiments with the Customer Experience Managers (CEM) at the GM dealer of your choice. Please know that you're welcome to message us privately if you'd like to proceed (with the above), or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: AC making loud noise