C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong Gas Smell !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 06:20 PM
naples53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong Gas Smell !!!

I just left the grocery store with my wife. I was waiting in the car with the engine running for about 5 min. As I left the store, there was a STRONG smell of gas inside!! I drove home (about 1/4 mile) and looked under the hood. I could smell gas around the front right side of the engine. It's raining so I can't check the driveway for a leak. And the tank is half full. I don't know if I should start the car. Any ideas would be helpful!!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first suggestion would to park it away from the house, surely not in the garage.Even if it's rainning you can still tell if it's dripping fuel by the "rainbow" sort of effect gasoline has on water. I had this problem once and it was a connection to the fuel tank; slight drip but it smelled very strong. It happened on a weekend, so I put some sort of catch basin under where it was leaking and the dealer picked it up for repairs on Monday. It ended to be no big deal, but gas leaks make me nervous.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:18 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
My first suggestion would to park it away from the house, surely not in the garage.Even if it's rainning you can still tell if it's dripping fuel by the "rainbow" sort of effect gasoline has on water. I had this problem once and it was a connection to the fuel tank; slight drip but it smelled very strong. It happened on a weekend, so I put some sort of catch basin under where it was leaking and the dealer picked it up for repairs on Monday. It ended to be no big deal, but gas leaks make me nervous.

not something you want to gamble on . . .

Just a thought . . have you screwed anything into the rear deck area lately - -a divider, sub or amp that may have penetrated a tank? here's what they look like:
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NOT start the car. I would have it flat-bedded to my dealer and leave it to them. An engine fire is not a pretty thing, to say nothing of an explosion from gasoline fumes.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by naples53
I just left the grocery store with my wife. I was waiting in the car with the engine running for about 5 min. As I left the store, there was a STRONG smell of gas inside!! I drove home (about 1/4 mile) and looked under the hood. I could smell gas around the front right side of the engine. It's raining so I can't check the driveway for a leak. And the tank is half full. I don't know if I should start the car. Any ideas would be helpful!!
I understand how the smell of gas can be alarming. What did you end up doing with your vehicle? Are you going to get it looked at?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

Get notified of new replies

To Strong Gas Smell !!!

Quick Reply: Strong Gas Smell !!!