C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fob slot near glovebox

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 AM
davanz
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Default fob slot near glovebox

Went to start my 06 last and got the "no fob detected" message. Used the other fob and all went well, so it's probably time to change the fob battteries as these are the original ones.

But then, as an experiment I put the failed fob in the fob slot near the glove compartment and the car started normally, which is good to know. And this leads to my question. What is it about the fob slot that lets it overcome a low fob battery? Is it closer to the fob signal receiver or something more mechanical in nature? Anybody know?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've not used the slot but just like my wifes BMW Z4, the slot provides car battery power to the FOB? I must say though, I don't know where the physical battery contacts are on the FOB?

Just speculating.....
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Inductance. That is how the fob is read in the glove box slot.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
davanz
Pro

So a pick up coil or similiar near or around the slot? Would the fob in the slot work with a totally dead fob battery?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by davanz
So a pick up coil or similiar near or around the slot? Would the fob in the slot work with a totally dead fob battery?
Yes but......the FOB has to have a battery in it for a complete circuit. Haven't tried it but that's my understanding.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM
davanz
Pro

I think I've got it. The car's battery power system, (through an iductive device), induces enough voltage into the fob's circuitry for it to function. Makes sense and relatively simple.

As always thanks for the education.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Some C6s will actually work without any battery in the fob at all...mine is that way and a few people on here have tested theirs and had them work also. It is not something to be expected though...it does not work on all, just some.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
geo2000
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 111 Posts

Good info, had to use the glovebox slot a while back and was wondering what made it work
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Rusler John
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When changing the battery in the fob, does the fob have to be re-programmed or are you good to go with just the battery change ?
My fobs are a little over 4 yrs old and I was thinking of changing the batteries before they fail.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusler John
When changing the battery in the fob, does the fob have to be re-programmed or are you good to go with just the battery change ?
My fobs are a little over 4 yrs old and I was thinking of changing the batteries before they fail.
good question.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Dino 615
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery is dead in the FOB, wouldn't that prevent you from even getting in the car and putting the FOB in the FOB slot?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
good question.

No, no programming necessary.

Originally Posted by Dino 615
If the battery is dead in the FOB, wouldn't that prevent you from even getting in the car and putting the FOB in the FOB slot?

You would use the key to open the rear hatch/trunk then use the emergency door release at the left rear wheel well to open the driver's door.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Probably a good idea. Stay away from the Ray-O-Vac batteries with the rough surface on the + side of the battery. Folks here who bought these say the battery contact with the fob is intermittent.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

As Rick said above, no programming necessary and this is because it is the car that is actually being programmed to recognize each of the fobs...the fobs are not being programmed themselves.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Used mine once. Good to know it's there.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Iceman007
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I didn't want to make a new thread on this, sorry to dig up this old thread but I didn't realize have the key with the fob either attached or hidden somewhere is probably a smart idea in case the fob battery ever goes out so you can access the trunk for the door latch. I've been cruising around without my key as it's nice in the pocket with just the fob and I don't really trust hiding a key somewhere on the exterior of the vehicle plus with the convertible top down I don't worry about it as I can lean in car, but as weather starts cooling down and top up I probably should start carrying the key with me attached to the fob or find a spot to hide it.

Last edited by Iceman007; 09-29-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman007
I didn't want to make a new thread on this, sorry to dig up this old thread but I didn't realize have the key with the fob either attached or hidden somewhere is probably a smart idea in case the fob battery ever goes out so you can access the trunk for the door latch. I've been cruising around without my key as it's nice in the pocket with just the fob and I don't really trust hiding a key somewhere on the exterior of the vehicle plus with the convertible top down I don't worry about it as I can lean in car, but as weather starts cooling down and top up I probably should start carrying the key with me attached to the fob or find a spot to hide it.
Here is a link from the stickies that has part numbers for keys that are easier to hide. Based on your post, I am assuming you have an 07 or earlier C6 that had the key outside of the fob. 08 and later have a newer style fob with the key inside. I would suggest having a key made that you can easily stow in your wallet and/or hide on the car if you don't want to carry it. That way you will always be able to get in. Otherwise, a locksmith will be required.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...key-blank.html
The following users liked this post:
Iceman007 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 10:05 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yes but......the FOB has to have a battery in it for a complete circuit. Haven't tried it but that's my understanding.
Not true.

The fob does not need a battery to work in the glove box slot. I have used it w/o a battery installed, and it worked just peachy.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:14 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Fob will start car in slot, with battery removed. Have one hidden in car with no battery just incase. And carry extra key in wallet if needed.

Luck

Get notified of new replies

To fob slot near glovebox

Quick Reply: fob slot near glovebox