C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you guys have had this issue? a/c compressor whine (video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How many of you guys have had this issue? a/c compressor whine (video)

My car has been doing this for a few weeks, and has gotten worse over the last few days. After some searching, it seems to be a fairly common issue.

When it is really hot out, and the car has been sitting in the heat. If I rev the engine to about 2500-3000 rpms, and let off, it makes this wierd grinding, whizzing noise at about 1700-1800 rpms. You can here it and feel it in the clutch pedal as you shift as well.

It would appear that it is the a/c compressor bearings going bad, and several people have had theirs fixed via warranty. Mine is out of warranty!!

I'm just curious as to how common it actually is!

This guy made a video of his car making the same sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GAbiUcDyRg

Here's mine doing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x69CKRFahDI

Please post a reply if you've had this problem!!!!!

Last edited by johnnybravothepimp; 07-21-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added link!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
NC94Vette
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure how common it is, but my 2007 Z06 with 13,500 miles on it started making the same exact noise a couple of weeks back. Fortunately I have an extended bumper to bumper warranty through next month.

I also had an oil leak (turned out to be power steering fluid) so I took it in for both items. They replaced the power steering reservoir and the idler/belt-tentioner, saying that they thought it was making the noise. It wasn't the idler, but they thought they might try that first.

Now they have the a/c compressor on order (said it would be two weeks). Not a huge deal as I have my car back and the a/c works great for now.

So anyway if I had just the normal 3 year / 36K mile warranty, I would be paying for this myself ... and NOT very happy with under 14K miles on the clock.

Sorry that you are having the same issue without warranty help. How many miles do you have on your Corvette?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybravothepimp
My car has been doing this for a few weeks, and has gotten worse over the last few days. After some searching, it seems to be a fairly common issue.

When it is really hot out, and the car has been sitting in the heat. If I rev the engine to about 2500-3000 rpms, and let off, it makes this wierd grinding, whizzing noise at about 1700-1800 rpms. You can here it and feel it in the clutch pedal as you shift as well.

It would appear that it is the a/c compressor bearings going bad, and several people have had theirs fixed via warranty. Mine is out of warranty!!

Here's mine doing it...

Yours could be the compressor clutch hanging up. If it's the clutch that's not a big deal but if it's the compressor it is a big deal. Sometimes you can listen with a stethoscope to pin point the source. If you don't have one a long screwdriver up to your ear will work. Be careful when doing this.

Last edited by VET4LES; 07-22-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:28 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Just tell everyone that's your 371 whining....
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

My car is a 2005, has 53,000 miles, but I feel that 50,000 is still a bit premature...
Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

It's your A/C in turbo mode?
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM
carllangford
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

My 2005 MN6 with 48K is behaving exactly like this. Just started a couple months ago.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thrash
It's your A/C in turbo mode?
I wish that's all it was!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It is actually the A/C bearing making the noise or could it be the A/C clutch? You're winding up the motor then backing out of the throttle. Could it be the A/C clutch slipping because the compressor wants to remain spinning faster than the engine?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

Mine does it. 24k I'll get the ac compressor fixed before the warranty ends like others have at chevy dealers.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 AM
carllangford
Pro

Originally Posted by illmac77
Mine does it. 24k I'll get the ac compressor fixed before the warranty ends like others have at chevy dealers.
You are fortunate you're still under warranty. This seems now to be a common problem. I wonder what the best solution will be. What would be the point in replacing it with another factory unit that might ultimately develop the problem again?

The compressor looks to be $350 + shipping (about $430 total). Any idea how much labor is involved in the Replacement?

Can we truly just live with this "annoyance"?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

I've read some post which state that the engine cradle has to be dropped to get to it. Also, the dryer is part of the condenser, so the condenser would need replacing as well...
FUN!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:50 PM
carllangford
Pro

That would bite, another $300 + labor. So the evaporator needs to be changed out with the compressor?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Jcrumpley
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mine does it

My 2007 has been doing it for about the last 15k miles. My car currently has about 52k miles on it. The noise/vibration hasn't gotten any worse during that time and the a/c still blows ice cold. I've had my a/c gauges on it and it all reads as expected. Frankly, I'm not going to worry about it anymore. We are on about day 45 of over 100 degree days here in Austin and the a/c is keeping me nice and cool.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

Originally Posted by carllangford
That would bite, another $300 + labor. So the evaporator needs to be changed out with the compressor?
I've heard that the dryer is built into the condensor... therefore to change out the dryer, you must also change the condensor. The condensor is the part in the front of the car right next to radiator, that looks very similar to the radiator.

I looked on ebay, and you can buy a "kit" that comes with the compressor and condensor, with a 1 year warranty for $599. Then there is labor and the cost of freon of course. I would do my own work, but would still have to take it in to have the system evacuated and charged. A shop normally charges about $125-150 for that, making this a minimum $750 job...
Old 07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's mine doing it...

Yup!
Had that 2 summers ago on my '05, fixed on my extended warranty, replaced compressor.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 PM
johnnybravothepimp
Instructor

bump

Get notified of new replies

To How many of you guys have had this issue? a/c compressor whine (video)

Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM
carllangford
Pro

Anyone have the procedure for removing the A/C belt? I'd like to perform that experiment. I have another noise I've been monitoring that "sounds" like a bearing type of noise and "hoping" it's related.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Ed'sZo62009
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's mine doing it...

I have the same problem. On my 2009 Zo6, It started about 2 weeks ago. I am going to the dealer today. The utube help me.

thank you,

ed
Old 08-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Harley06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Mine replaced under warranty

Mine started doing it last summer on my 2009 Coupe. I had it replaced under warranty. According to the work order there was a screw that had either backed out or was not properly seated in the clutch assembly on the compressor. In my case the compressor eventually stopped working.

Quick Reply: How many of you guys have had this issue? a/c compressor whine (video)