C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:01 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivar
Yep.

From Houston, are you in the oil business?

I worked many years in computing for a major oil company.
With due respect to your having worked on computers for an oil company, I indeed was with an oil company (now retired), but as a chemical engineer who actually knows technical details of the business first hand. Various grades of gasoline, jet fuel, and diesel fuel do indeed go down the same pipeline, but they are not separated by water. They go through as slugs of hydrocarbon liquid, and the interface between two such slugs is called transmix, which must be re-refined. For example, if a slug of gasoline follows a slug of diesel fuel, the transmix (ie, the mix for several hundred feet of pipeline on either side of the interface) is not suitable for either gasoline or diesel, so it must be re-processed. Yes, water occasionally gets in pipelines, but it’s usually an accident when it does, with somebody having drawn down a tank to the residual water layer at the very bottom of a big storage tank. On very rare occasions, a slug of water is sent through intentionally to clean out water soluble deposits from the line, but it is not used as a buffer between slugs of product. And as far as not knowing where the base gas came from, as I said in my earlier post, it depends on where you are in the distribution system. See my earlier post on that question. The bottom line is, a lot of people like to bash oil companies, and you seem to be one of them. OK, fine, use the cheapo stuff. You’ll get by with it for a while. But guess what? If you do an engine teardown on your engine at 25000 miles versus the engine of someone who used top tier gas for those same 25000 miles, it ain’t gonna be a contest on whose injectors, valves, and manifolds are cleaner. And guess what else? A can of Techron now and then will make that difference slightly less apparent, but it still won't be any contest relative to daily use of top tier gas.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:02 PM
gar4403
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedraider
the same gas truck goes from one station to the next one.
My decision is based on a conversation with someone that drives a gas truck, and "sometimes" your quote is true, as an exception.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The nearby ARCO station sells 101 octane unleaded Trick Racing Fuel.

I've never tried it in my C6 but I used to mix it with 5 gallons of 114 octane leaded, in my high compression (427) C2.

Exhaust smelled great.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 PM
ruenvs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
You can google "TOP TIER GASOLINE" and get the current list, which changes occasionally.

Some people claim it's all a marketing/liscensing scam, others say it's a real benefit. I'm inclined to think there is a benefit.
Since nearly all of the major brands are now on the list, I use them.

A petroleum engineer said that to be really good it it, try to use one top tier brand for 2,000-5,000 miles, then switch to another for 2k-5k, then switch to a third, then back to the original. Keeps the additives removing different types of deposits, even though they are minor.

If I drive 10,000 miles per year at an average of 20 mpg, and top tier gas costs me 3 cents/gallon more, that works out to $15/year. I can handle that.
Big thumbs up for switching among top tier blends different additives remove different deposits. Q
Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
. You’ll get by with it for a while. But guess what? If you do an engine teardown on your engine at 25000 miles versus the engine of someone who used top tier gas for those same 25000 miles, it ain’t gonna be a contest on whose injectors, valves, and manifolds are cleaner. .
hahahahahaha right. Buy whatever you want, wherever is most convenient.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldnt bother with Costco. Since you already have internet access, use it to find the cheapest Shell, Exxon or Chevron location in your area. $.30cents sounds like a huge spread, and I doubt Costco is that much cheaper than other gas stations if you look around. I use Shell 93 Vpower only, but I know for example if I use either Shell station closest to me.. then I will be paying about $4.29 a gallon. The Shell stations about 3+ miles from me have the same grade for $3.98 a gallon. Even better if you fill up on Wednesday or Thursdays you get another 5 cents off.. making my last fill up $3.93 a gallon.

Shell, Exxon and Chevron are all considered "top tier" and use the best additives in their fuel. Not only does it keep your engine running clean, you will see a bit more performance or possibly an extra 1mpg or 2 due to the engine running more efficiently than what it would on gas with no cleaning detergents.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gar4403
My decision is based on a conversation with someone that drives a gas truck, and "sometimes" your quote is true, as an exception.
yep, my brother drive a gas truck.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Top tier gasoline so far in my opinion means nothing! I have an '05 C6 and ever since I bought the car, I haven't put anything (except in emergency situations) in the car except Hess, Sunoco, Wal-Mart, and a few others. This is because these companies use US (American) oil. There are some others, but these stations are close to me. Top Tier doesn't seem to make any difference, but to me, American oil vs Arab oil, does make a difference! You decide...support, and put money in the pockets of these arab, and other countries, or keep the money here. As I said, my car is an '05, and I have never had an issue with "so called" inferior gasolines. Most of you with common sense will agree with me. Just my opinion...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very few so called top tier in my immediate area. I did find a Shell station on a trip to southern Idaho this spring. When I hung the nozzle up I noticed a sticker that said 10% ethanol. So just how does that figure in the equation? Later! Frank

Last edited by fnsblum; 07-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:03 AM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was running Exxon and Sunoco and the DD was occasionally missing. I started using Shell and have not had any more problems.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
As long as it's 93 octane you should be fine. You can be a little pickier if you let the gas sit for a while. If you can, try gas without ethenol if you can find it.
Not true. 91 octane is all you need. That is what it is tumed for from the factory, unless it's a z06. Even then 91 won't hurt unless you drive competitively.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 AM
Gary Webb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By far the most importent thing is the station you buy from. They should have glass lined tanks and get refilled a couple times a week.
Check out the truck that delivers the gas. Where did he come from and where is he going? whos gas is he delivering?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bolivar
Yep.

From Houston, are you in the oil business?

I worked many years in computing for a major oil company. Supported all areas of the company. Learned some about the 'exchange' business used for gasoline. Basically, you have no idea where the base gas comes from. In any area, most of the gas will probably come from the same terminal, a tank storage facility on or near a refined products pipeline. When a truck tanker loads, the additives are added as the gas is loaded, and the various retail outlets getting the load specify their additive 'package'. So, the base gas is all the same. Only the 'package' differs. And there are federal regs that determine the 'minimun' cleaner additives that must be in all gasolines. This minimun is at a level to keep injectors clean. Federal regs came about because years ago when injected motors first came on the general market, there were lots of problems with clogged injectors from gas deposits. So, they set the min regs for cleaner.

Also, there are major areas of the country where your local government has passed all kinds of laws about emissions. The base gas in these area has to be at a certain level and the additives have to struggle to meet these emission levels. Which may be impacting the drivablility of your car. And these emissions regs differ across the year. Butane, propane, ethane, all kinds of stuff is in your gas to help starting in cold weather. And your local regs, set by people who have little if any scientific knowledge about fuel and motors, have set these regs.

The big, plastic sign out front on service stations means very little any more. The company I worked for has owned ZERO service stations for several years, and even before that, it only owned a few. Even if a station is 'branded', the companies take little control of what goes on at that station. Many branded stations are owned by local 'distributors' than own multiple stations in an area, with many also owning the tanker trucks moving gas from a terminal to their station. And who knows what additive package they are putting into their gas. The company owning the 'sign' will have specifications for the additives, but do you think they go around and pull gas samples and analyse it?

Do people want to hear about how one refined product pipeline moves all kinds of different product? Gasoline, diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, heating oil, etc, etc goes down one pipe???? And they separate the different products with a big 'slug' of WATER!

Oh, you didn't want to hear about that???

I just love the topics about 'What's the best gas.' 'I only buy xxxxxx brand gasoline.' 'Which is better, xxxxxx or yyyyyy gas?'
Sir,

When was the last time the company you worked for used water? I am not trying to start a keyboard war, just asking. I am a Pipeline Controller for a Top Tier Oil Company and all of our cuts are clean.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

I checkd the list http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html and I did not see Costco on there. As for me I like V-Power, and there is a nice station near me that has a VERY high turn over rate on the gas.

07 C6 with over 120,000 miles on it.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:57 AM
LDB
Drifting

There are always a few oil company haters in this kind of thread who say it doesn’t matter, and I won’t change their minds. If you seriously think we send slugs of water down the pipeline to separate the fuels, you’ll believe anything that supports your conspiracy theories. But if you are on the fence, searching for realistic advice, here’s the reality as I’ve seen it from tearing down engines after extended runs in tests cells. If you compare top tier to cheapo gas over the life of your car, depending on your driving habits and pricing in your area, you’ll typically spend a couple hundred bucks more for top tier over the life of your car. In return for that, when you trade your car, it’s engine valves, injectors, and manifolds will still be close to factory clean, and the car’s acceleration and mileage will also be close to new. With cheapo gas, it will not be a horror story. Your engine will not be a pile of junk. But it will have substantial deposits on injectors, valves, and manifolds, and will be measureably slower than new in acceleration, less smooth at idle, and get slightly poorer mileage. Of course, Vettes have a lot of extra power, and also get good mileage, so those penalties may be acceptable to you. If so, fine, save your couple hundred bucks. But do so recognizing the penalty you are incurring. Don’t let the conspiracy theorists kid you into thinking there’s no difference other than price with the cheapo.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 AM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live in Texas then buy QT (Quick Trip) gas. It is top tier and is usually the same price as Walmart gas.

Last edited by bearman95; 07-23-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Best thing to do is go to a high volume gas station, fresh gas and less chance of water. In central florida all the gas comes from Taft. Either its 87, 89 or 93. The same truck goes to every gas station. Don't be a sucker and fall for the big name stations, they all buy it from the one and only distributor in the area.

Get notified of new replies

To Gasoline

Old 07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
LDB
Drifting

Best thing to do is go to a high volume gas station, fresh gas and less chance of water. In central florida all the gas comes from Taft. Either its 87, 89 or 93. The same truck goes to every gas station. Don't be a sucker and fall for the big name stations, they all buy it from the one and only distributor in the area.
There are a few areas that even the additives are the same, but those are usually remote, thinly populated areas, with long driving distances for the delivery trucks, so I’d be surprised if central Florida (Orlando) is one of them. Just because the gas comes out of the same terminal doesn’t mean it has the same additive package. Those are added truck by truck. I admit that I am not familiar with every distribution area in the country, so I cannot categorically rule out the possibility that Orlando is in a “one truck serves all” area, but as I say, I’d be very surprised if that happened in such a densely populated area. The way you can tell for sure is that name brand gas in those areas should just have regular, mid grade, premium on their pumps, and not post their advertising names like Chevron’s Supreme with Techron, or Shell’s “Nitrogen enriched” V-Power. If they post their brand names, additive names, and top tier, then you can be confident that’s what you are getting. The legal exposure for them posting one thing and delivering something less would be far too great to take a chance. One final thing, it is entirely possible that on any given day, at any given grocery store outlet, you could be getting Shell V-Power or Chevron Supreme. It is legal to give you more than you paid for, just not less. In a situation like that, Shell or Chevron may have been the low cost supplier on that day, so the grocery store bought that load from them. But you can’t count on the grocery store getting it from them all the time.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

The big, plastic sign out front on service stations means very little any more. The company I worked for has owned ZERO service stations for several years, and even before that, it only owned a few. Even if a station is 'branded', the companies take little control of what goes on at that station. Many branded stations are owned by local 'distributors' than own multiple stations in an area, with many also owning the tanker trucks moving gas from a terminal to their station. And who knows what additive package they are putting into their gas. The company owning the 'sign' will have specifications for the additives, but do you think they go around and pull gas samples and analyse it?
I work for a fuel distrubutor. We supply around 200 locations with Mobil, BP and ConocoPhillips branded fuel. We are contratually obligated to put their branded fuel with their additives in the tanks. And yes the oil companies do go around and take samples to verify that it is their proprietary branded fuel in the tank.

Quick Reply: Gasoline