C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you guys think of the royal purple post???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:02 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Default What do you guys think of the royal purple post???

I'm thinking about swapping the mobile 1 for this after watching the video.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Video marketing is done by marketing genius's, is there a problem with the oil you are using right now? I see quite a few 50,000+ mile Vettes still running great and they are using the oil the factory put in it...Mobil 1.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Royal Purple is better....I felt a difference....runs smoother.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I think it was a sales picth!
Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer
Video marketing is done by marketing genius's, is there a problem with the oil you are using right now? I see quite a few 50,000+ mile Vettes still running great and they are using the oil the factory put in it...Mobil 1.
Nope no problems the I can see or feel. Sample A of the video was supposed to be mobile 1. Was it? Who knows but if it was, it was terrible. Again who knows what was in the silver bottle, but if it was indeed a fair test with the real oils than the royal purple was impressive.
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Sorry, but I say absolute...
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are definitely some better oils than Mobil1 from a lubrication and cleaning standpoint, but whether or not they are better for your car is up in the air.

Im running Pennzoil Ultra because I can get it relatively cheap ( only 3$ more per 5Qt jug than Mobil1 - so 6$ per oil change ) and on paper its a better oil.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

"I felt a difference"
Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I notice that you can't reply to that post. Which speaks volumes to me.

It also appears that the only thing they are testing is the film strength. There are a whole lot of other properties of modern oil that are important that they totally ignore.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:03 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened when purple was first introduced:

A Corvette owner at the local Corvette shop was changing his oil to RP a day or so before we had a drag event. Said he expected with the RP in the crankcase he was going to run at least two tenths quicker in the 1/4! And, he was serious!!!!
Mutton head for certain...he actually ran slower, but someone convinced this guy that RP was a magic solution to better drag times. This at a time when most of us ran Redline in our cars.
You will not feel any difference seat of the pants wise or actual track time wise just by running snake oil....pure myth and marketing gimmick. A long time ago I represented Prolong, I know.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

I was not interested in track times or better performance. I was simply posting for wear over time.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:57 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i can buy oreillys brand oil put a new label on it, have a video guy make a really slick video and sell it for $20 a quart. good oil is good none is really any better than the rest. its personal prefferance. they make videos like that for that exact reason to get you to buy their product.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

I’ll repeat a reply I made to a similar question about the Royal Purple video a few weeks ago. If you saw it then, my apologies for the repeat. Simply ignore it now.

I am wary of tests that are as far away from actual engine application as the one in their video. What the video shows is that under cold start conditions, at loads vastly in excess of anything that will ever be encountered in an engine, and with oil “right out of the can”, Royal Purple beats the other oils. In real life, you have much lower loads, much more variable temperature, and must deal with aging of the oil due to extended time at high temperature and to contamination with carbon sludge. I remember a test by Consumer Reports magazine of several years ago, rating oils based on performance on some sort of bench test rig similar at least in concept to the one in the Royal Purple video. My company had done actual engine tests of several of the oils in the Consumer Reports tests, and they gave dramatically different results. The best two oils in the Consumer Reports tests were among the poorest in actual engine testing, while several of the top rated in engine tests were poor in the Consumer Reports test. That statement absolutely and positively should not be interpreted as meaning Royal Purple is a poor oil. It simply says that it’s dangerous to try to predict real world engine results with small scale, quick, bench tests.

The only true test is an actual engine test under controlled conditions in a dynomometer cell, and those are very expensive and time consuming. I have seen such tests on many conventional oils and a few synthetics. In such tests, the synthetics invariably due better than conventionals, a tiny bit better under “normal” conditions, with the differences increasing as conditions get more severe. Unfortunately, two thing prevent me from making any comments about Royal Purple. First, I don’t want to get in the business of recommending specific brands, and second, I have not seen engine test data on Royal Purple anyway. So bottom line, I don’t have any basis to say anything either good or bad about Royal Purple engine performance, but by the same token, I don’t see that the test in the video is very relevant either. As long as you choose a 5W-30 fully synthetic oil that meets GM4718M spec (I think Royal Purple does, but I'm not totally sure of that) you should be ok.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

what do I say about the ad? advertising seems to work on some people....otherwise, it wouldn't be in that form.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
jltcat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've felt a difference when switching oils but not in power only primarily in cold start ups the engine made a bit less valve noise. I personally have used mobil 1 castrol syntec and RP and out of the three I cannot say for sure if any difference was present. I have a personal preference for castrol but only because of a couple engine tear downs I've done that ran castrol. They were very 'clean' inside; again not saying that mobil 1 or RP isnt as good, I just have visual knowledge castrol works well. I have lost an engine using mobil 1 but it was a tired engine that had large clearances which I believe lead to the oil escaping the bearing surfaces too quickly, so I cant fully blame the oil type. Honestly I don't think there is much difference in the high quality synthetics. Just stick with a good synthetic and you'll probably wear the car out before the oil wears the engine out.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:58 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that's some shhhh right there!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Advertising does work on some people.....it's the same reason they put Mobil 1 on the oil filler cap.

Last edited by CodyC6; 07-26-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What do you guys think of the royal purple post???

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM
coolsrt8
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know you could smoke Royal Purple
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 AM
kencz51
Racer

My car runs better after a car wash too. Lol.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:07 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer

And with all due respect to the post below yours, no way do I believe an engine runs smoother with a different oil. There is simply no way that is going to happen unless the oil you had in it before was total garbage.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the royal purple post???