C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV Radio - Auto Volume Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NAV Radio - Auto Volume Control

I have an '08 w/ NAV radio. My volume doesn't seem to increase with the cars speed (and, therefore, noise level). I went to try to adjust it, and my screen looks different than whats in the manual.

Here's my screen:
Name:  DSCN3606.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  102.7 KB

Here's what my manual show's:

Name:  DSCN3608.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  197.4 KB

Am I missing something?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried in any other color?

Old 07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try touching the "Automatic Volume Control" arrow (up)
Old 07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Yours looks the same as what's in my 08 coupe. And I'll agree, it doesn't seem to work for me.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:46 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bobbyosto
Try touching the "Automatic Volume Control" arrow (up)
That up and down arrow is for going from page 1 to 2 or 2 to 1.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:56 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

I'm now wondering if there's a difference between "speed compensated volume" and "automatic volume control". While the picture in the manual shows "speed compensated volume", the text talks about "automatic volume control", which sounds like what I have on my screen. You either turn it on or off. I have mine on and I don't notice any difference in volume.

Did they change the system somewhere along the line?
Old 07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

IIRC, the system was originally called "Bose Audio Pilot" in the literature, but not on the screen. Don't know if the new system is different, but the old one was supposed to measure the ambient noise in the cockpit and adjust sound to compensate. It works, but not very well. You could test it with music on by driving along a bridge rail or concrete barrier with the windows down, then close them quickly and note a slight change in volume as the cockpit got quieter.

The gen-u-ine speed compensated volume in our 1998 Camaro and 2001 Corvette, was much better.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
IIRC, the system was originally called "Bose Audio Pilot" in the literature, but not on the screen. Don't know if the new system is different, but the old one was supposed to measure the ambient noise in the cockpit and adjust sound to compensate. It works, but not very well.
The one in my 06 was about the same as yours - worked better than the one in the 08.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 PM
CHUXDRM
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
IIRC, the system was originally called "Bose Audio Pilot" in the literature, but not on the screen. Don't know if the new system is different, but the old one was supposed to measure the ambient noise in the cockpit and adjust sound to compensate. It works, but not very well. You could test it with music on by driving along a bridge rail or concrete barrier with the windows down, then close them quickly and note a slight change in volume as the cockpit got quieter.

The gen-u-ine speed compensated volume in our 1998 Camaro and 2001 Corvette, was much better.
That sounds like what the text in the manual was trying to explain, and it also mentioned "Bose Audio Pilot", and I agree, it's not as good as the old system I had in the C5.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:21 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHUXDRM
I'm now wondering if there's a difference between "speed compensated volume" and "automatic volume control". While the picture in the manual shows "speed compensated volume", the text talks about "automatic volume control", which sounds like what I have on my screen. You either turn it on or off. I have mine on and I don't notice any difference in volume.

Did they change the system somewhere along the line?
The base system and all C5s have speed compensated volume. The C6 Bose system does not. It is supposed to compensate for noise levels and does work on the 4 C6s I've owned. It is specifically not speed sensitive. When the AC blower comes on after startup on a hot day, the volume goes up.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

The illustration in the manual is relevant to non Bose-equipped cars only. My 2005 manual states:

If your vehicle has the Bose audio system, it includes AudioPilot® noise compensation technology. AudioPilot® monitors the level of noise in the vehicle and automatically increases or decreases the level of the audio to keep it audible above the noise. This feature works best at lower volume settings where background noise may mask the audio. At higher volume settings, where the audio is much louder than the noise, there may be little or no change in the audio level. For additional information on AudioPilot ®, please visit www.bose.com.

To use this feature, set the volume to your desired level and then touch the ON screen button. To turn it off, select the OFF screen button.

I have the feature in my 2005 and it works very well.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:27 PM
RVC6
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Automatic Volume Control

My 2006 Automatic Volume Control does not work either! Maybe my understanding is not correct, but I expected the radio to get QUIETER or even go to MUTE when I got on the gas more than 50% or so. But like many other C6's with NAV and BOSE mine does not change volume regardless of what the speed or throttle position is.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by mpuzach
The illustration in the manual is relevant to non Bose-equipped cars only. My 2005 manual states:

If your vehicle has the Bose audio system, it includes AudioPilot® noise compensation technology. AudioPilot® monitors the level of noise in the vehicle and automatically increases or decreases the level of the audio to keep it audible above the noise. This feature works best at lower volume settings where background noise may mask the audio. At higher volume settings, where the audio is much louder than the noise, there may be little or no change in the audio level. For additional information on AudioPilot ®, please visit www.bose.com.

To use this feature, set the volume to your desired level and then touch the ON screen button. To turn it off, select the OFF screen button.

I have the feature in my 2005 and it works very well.
A different opinion-
We had it in our 2006 and now 2009, can barely tell that's it's working.
We need to turn up the volume at highway speeds, then turn the volume down in town.
The old speed-controlled volume in our previous car was much better.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I have it on mine and I notice easily that it is working. I got tired of the Kenwood in my 08 requiring frequent adjustments
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

RVC6 – pages 3-80 and 3-81 of your owner’s manual explain how the Automatic Volume works in your Corvette. If this isn’t how your vehicle is operating I’d suggest speaking with your dealer.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 10-03-2011, 10:40 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

From the nav manual:
If your vehicle has Bose AudioPilot® noise compensation technology, AudioPilot® monitors the level of noise in the vehicle and automatically increases or decreases the level of the audio to keep it audible above the noise. This feature works best at lower volume settings where background noise may mask the audio. At higher volume settings, where the audio is much louder than the noise, there may be little or no change in the audio level.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RVC6
My 2006 Automatic Volume Control does not work either! Maybe my understanding is not correct, but I expected the radio to get QUIETER or even go to MUTE when I got on the gas more than 50% or so. But like many other C6's with NAV and BOSE mine does not change volume regardless of what the speed or throttle position is.
Your understanding is incorrect. The automatic volume control has nothing to do with vehicle speed or throttle position. Reread your manual or the posts between mine and yours.

Get notified of new replies

To NAV Radio - Auto Volume Control

Quick Reply: NAV Radio - Auto Volume Control